Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help choosing basic mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help choosing basic mods

I recently bought a 93 yota pickup. So far I love it now im itching to "tinker" with it. I plan on ordering a lift and installing it myself but other than that im not quite sure what else I should persue. This truck is my daily driver but I plan on doing a little traling and mudding nothing to great. If anyone would help with suggestions I would be all ears. So far everything is stock on it that im aware of.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
A locker & good M/T tires will do you more good off-road than any lift.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
A locker & good M/T tires will do you more good off-road than any lift.
+1

this is what i found myself needing more than anything else when i first went off-roading
Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fyi: in the future try to post your basic questions in what's called the "newbie tech section" as some experienced YT'ers get a little aggravated answering the same questions. if you notice this thread moves from where it is now, that's where to look for it as well, cuz the mods will probably relocate it for this reason.

MEANWHILE, HEY! WELCOME TO THE SITE!

you've got a good little truck and it's definitely one you'll get infected with the disease of wanting to modify it.

take some time to look at people's "build threads", particularly for your year truck. there's enough threads here that you can actually be that specific, and see what stuff applies directly to yours.

since you've got a daily driver, and you probably want it a little more "trail worthy" for weekend activities, focus first on increasing the reliability, and making improvements that will deter commonly known failure issues. for example, some trucks are known for the auto trans cooler being a weak link, and are prone to suffering the "strawberry milkshake" syndrome.

i don't see what model you've got, or what motor, so it's a good idea to fill out your profile, add a "signature line" so we don't have to go look at your profile page to know what you've got.

here's a basic summary of where you should focus your attention:

1. get your powertrain up to snuff - do whatever it takes to confirm you're confident in your engine and trans. new fluids, new cooling system parts, new emissions hoses and parts. one of the weakest links in an old vehicle is the cooling system.

2. confirm you're happy with brakes and suspension. besides doing maintenance, there's extra mods to improve water resistance, replacing seals, extending differential breathers, etc. so you can go through deep puddles with confidence.

3. once your truck is solid as an on-road vehicle, identify what will make it a sturdier off-road vehicle. consider armor, like sliders and skid plates to protect the bottom first. then consider heavier bumpers if you think you'll need them and have the budget dollars.

4. recovery gear and accessories are next. nothing worse than taking a trip, and somehow not being prepared for the worst. there's plenty of suggestion threads here on what to carry with you.

5. once you're satisfied with these basics, THEN you can start thinking about increased tire size, increased traction ability, and the mods that go with it, like regearing and lockers, as well as suspension mods like lift springs and longer travel shocks.

there is a huge amount of info on this site, it's one of the best forums on the web, and most of the people here are very experienced and have already walked the path you're about to start out on.

my biggest tip is USE THE GOOGLE SEARCH WEBSITE TO FIND THE INFO HERE. the answers exist, and YT threads come up right on top when you search. use the IMAGE search function of google as well, to see pictures of things you might not be able to describe in words. all the info is here. get time and do a lot of reading, and your desire to "tinker" will eventually become the love-hate relationship we all seem to have with our toys.

good luck!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well Said...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone I knew I would end up posting this in the wrong area sorry if I ruffled any feathers.