Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Gear shift boot removal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear shift boot removal.

Hi all.
I am trying to figure out how to remove the gear shift boots on a 1990 22re 4x4 pickup. Can they be removed from the top or is there something underneath I have to remove.
Thanks in advance.
Deano.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The little rubber boots? Just pull them off.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u need to remove the bezel and then there are 4 or 6 screws u need to remove then it should come up and off.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM

It looks like there are 2 Phillips heads for each boot on the sides, but I don't know what they screw into.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Oh, that part. Well, on my truck they screw into the sheet metal. With bolts you sometimes have to worry about nuts, but typically if it's a screw, there's nothing that's going to fall out on the other side. Just unscrew them.

I thought you were talking about the rubber boots where your shifter goes into the tranny and t-case. Those just come right off.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Are you serious??? This topic isn't deserving of a thread. Its pretty obvious; remove all screws.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Screws into plastic inserts in the floor:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#ManualTranny

There are up to 3 boots in all.
1. The upper one is decorative (cloth, vinyl or leather) attached to the bezel.
2. Then the heavy rubber boot under that, typically 4-6 screws into the floor.
3. Then right at the shifter base is often a small rubber boot that stretches over the shifter base to seal it.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM

I'm wondering if the 4wd knob
unscrews on a93 runner. I don't want to wreck it its orighinal?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, screws off. Or if its super tight, you will try and unscrew it and the knob will separate from the epoxied nut that screws onto the shifter...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, if it is just a simple knob, they typically screw on/off.

If it is one with a push button on it, then those usually don't screw on/off but they may have a little set screw or similar holding them in place (never really looked closely at one like that)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere (yes been looking all over yotatech for days now): does anyone know the size and threading of the 6 screws to the heavy dual shift boot? I ask because my 85 4runner was stolen and eventually recovered, but missing tons of parts including the boot. I see that they just screw into nylon nut inserts, but the plastic is old and brittle so I'd like to not trash them with the wrong screws if possible. Last year I cleaned up and painted the old boot and remember the screws as short, fat sheet metal screws but I've had no luck. I hate to ask, but would anyone help a newbie out by pulling one of the screws and matching the threads against a bolt with known threading?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I will be working on my 85 runner tomorrow if nobody has an answer for you tonight. Might take a bit to get it posted but I Gould have an answer by tomorrow night. Good luck and I hope you get one sooner.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

They are screws not bolts I just use what ever size screws will tighten .

I guess if you wanted you could get the screws from your dealer Toyota hardware I have found to be pretty reasonable.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Geeze I can't believe this is a thread either. When I have a non structural part to reattach I use stainless screws. I got a big pack of them at Home Depot. For the plastic nutsert part I clip about 1/4 inch off the tip of a plastic drywall anchor.

Name:  CEAB32C7-48DB-4E09-9DED-CD8153F90C2C_zpsduresaxi.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
They are just screws. And the drywall anchors are a great idea.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is in the Newbie section some of us like me are not that gifted when it comes to mechanical things.

I try and learn all the time.

like the dry wall anchors good idea!!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
[QUOTE=Nervo19;52258472]"Geeze I can't believe this is a thread either. "
[/QUOTE}

OP, I apologize. You asked in the right place. Welcome. I am the queen of stupid questions so I have no room to criticize. One of my taillights is held in by a drywall anchor because the Toyota plastic had no more hold left. I've used them for license plate screws as well. You have to clip them short so they don't interfere with the rear window of a 1st gen 4Runner.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Good tip, Nervo19 for the idea about drywall screws into nylon anchors, I'll remember that for future reference!
I finally found someone parting out an 86 and he let me take the screws. They do look like short drywall screws, M6 diameter. I hated to post such a basic question, even by newbie standards but I couldn't figure it out. I'm a bicycle mechanic by trade and used to ride everywhere until recently. This 85 will definitely teach me a thing or 2. Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. It's good to know someone has my back until I learn more.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Screws into plastic inserts in the floor:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#ManualTranny

There are up to 3 boots in all.
1. The upper one is decorative (cloth, vinyl or leather) attached to the bezel.
2. Then the heavy rubber boot under that, typically 4-6 screws into the floor.
3. Then right at the shifter base is often a small rubber boot that stretches over the shifter base to seal it.
I'm getting pissed at this point that I'm having to add to the question that has been asked. My 92 4Runner (just purchased and doing a clutch and other things) has 4 freaking boots. WTF. There is the cloth leather looking one that comes off with the console, there is a rubber boot that I can get up over the wide part of the shift lever and then another inner boot that is tighter and hugs the lower part of the shaft very tight and I can't get that thing up over the wider decorative black part of the shift lever. There is also the small boot down at the actual base that keeps crap out of the tranny. It doesn't look like it would get over the wide part of the shaft either. Shaft seems glues (literally I see something looking formidable in there) and I am trying to decide how aggressive I want to get trying to unscrew the two halves of the shaft. I manages to get the whole assembly off the tranny but the smallest and lowest boot is torn and I'd like to replace it so I don't get water or other garbage in there at some future time. Anyone have any input on the best way to crack those apart without completely buggering the nice looking part of the shifter? Geez what a heck of a thing to have to ask for help on. Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

The later model shifters are a lower and upper part. The upper part is flared and filled with a rubbery material into which the lower shaft is inserted. They are thus bonded together. The rubber gunk is there to absorb the vibration and noise from the transmission. Usually you don't want to separate those two pieces as it is hard to get them back together firmly. You can heat up the lower part to soften the bond and pull it out. But then you have to find a way to adhere is back in place.

For the lower boots, try slitting the top ring just enough to let it stretch up and over the fat part of the shifter. Or first try heating up the rubber with a heat gun to soften it up to be stretchier and see if that helps. And if the bottom boot is still in decent shape, like it just has a simple tear, try using a flexible adhesive on the tear, maybe with some mesh tape to reinforce it and call it good.

Quick Reply: Gear shift boot removal.