Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Experience with Toyotatruckengine.com?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea. He said they had to order a rediculous amount of engine for the manufacturer to even consider taking them as a customer.

I really don't like the fact that they don't tell you what oil pump or water pump they use though and the new engine comes with plastic timing guides.

Last edited by RyanV; 06-26-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Well I'm new to yotatech, but finally searched and found discussion on topic i was looking for, which is "BRAND NEW TOYOTA 22RE Engine" advertised by toyotatruckengine.com which is apparently also APR Auto, APR Car Care in Colorado Springs, CO. I inquired about their new engines and got the same story as some of you have mentioned. He sounded like he was so tired of getting asked about source. He told me it was proprietary, protected source, same engine source used by Toyota and others car companies. Guy told me he had personnally rebuilt a 1000 22RE engines and he could not do a better job than these new engines and was completely satisfied with them.'
Surely some more folks out there have bought these engines. Would not tell me if they were from Japan or US, I didn't think about China, but he would not say. Anyone else had good luck with these 'new' engines from toyotatruckengine.com.
I have a 85 truck with 22RE, need new engine, but need a garage to do it for me due to work schedule and experience, and time. I'll keep asking. Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Usually if they won't tell you what they use then is probably China or Taiwan parts.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:23 PM

OK, if these are truly Japanese engines manufactured by the same supplier Toyota used there should be some recognizable markings. If someone has purchased one of these, please, please post some up close high resolution pics of any stamping on block and head, bolts anything else that could help identify it. Even if block and head are legit, what crank, cam, pistons, gaskets, seals, ect. are being used. Fudge, why they got to beso vague?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 AM

I dont think 22re come from Japan even when ordered from the dealer these days.

This is the price on whatever rebuilt shortblock Toyota is dealing these days.

SHORT BLOCK - Toyota (11400-35043)

• List Price: $2,989.26
  • You Save: $664.79 (22% off)
  • Sale Price: $2,324.47
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM

I've Got One - Brand New 22RE

I considered starting a new thread for those who have these engines, but then found this one. I also am curious to hear from others who have these engines. I have not been able to find much in the way of reviews, apart from the 2 good reviews on their website.

http://www.toyotatruckengine.com/bra...-all-new-22re/

I've got one of these engines in my '86 4Runner, installed it myself mid-2014, and so far so good. It replaced the original engine that has about 400K miles on it. I've got about 3500 miles on the new one now, not so many because the rig has been down for other stuff since (rebuilt transfer and 3rd).

I got it directly from the Colorado Springs guys, and Luke was the dude I spoke with on the phone. When I got mine I kept the old original engine in case I need it at some point in the future. They only offered $75 for it anyway, not really worth the trouble.

Like others I hounded Luke for details on where everything came from and who was doing the assembly. The impression I walked away with was that they used Japanese parts assembled here in the USA. True or not i don't know. The gasket kit I got with the engine was made in USA. I still have the box and could check that out again, but I recall seeing "USA" on some of the paper gaskets.

I've got pics of the engine, attached to this post. I sized these files down some for posting. The originals are fairly large. I could crop in on some details for a better look at certain details if anyone is interested.

I looked at the block and head castings to see how similar they were before I installed the new one. There aren't any obvious "Toyota - Made in Japan" markings on either engine. The blocks look pretty dang close to me in all the details I looked at. There were little ID tags in the mold, on the sides outside the cylinders, some held in place by screws and others not, and all that ended up being cast into the block - these and other details appeared identical to me. Where Toyota stamped numbers into the block the new engine bears hand scribed numbers. The heads are different, but the new head looks like the casting on a pal's early '90s 22re.

During assembly I noticed that everything fit perfectly, manifolds, brackets, etc. You can also see balancing drill marks in the crank. The only problem I've had with it is that the rear main seal started leaking almost immediately. This was the seal that came in the kit, and not one from 'Yota. When I rebuilt the transfer I replaced that seal with an original from the dealer and so far it hasn't leaked again. I haven't driven it much since then, though, as I've gotten into the rear axle for rebuild and locker install - it's been off the road for a while now.

Anyone else have something to say about these engines? Mine runs great, doesn't consume oil, valves have stayed consistent.

NOTE: After looking at the main bearing caps for the crank I notice that the new engine's caps lack the "W" symbol I find on the original engine's caps.
Attached Thumbnails Experience with Toyotatruckengine.com?-brand_new_22re__1.jpg   Experience with Toyotatruckengine.com?-brand_new_22re__2.jpg   Experience with Toyotatruckengine.com?-brand_new_22re_4.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. No SPAM; 03-03-2015 at 04:24 PM.