Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine Rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rebuilds

My coolant and oil mixed. Oil looked like vanilla milkshake--caught it early. Probably is just the head gasket or timing chain. It spilled into the EFI but not into the coolant/radiator.

Right now, I could either spend around $400 and leave the block alone -- rebuild the rest. Or, I could spend $200 on a rebuild kit, $200 @ the machine shop for the block and head plus $$$ on some new tools and bolts,etc.

MY QUESTION THOUGH for those that have done all this before...HOW MUCH $$$ am I REALLLY looking at spending if I go ALL IN and rebuild the entire engine -- go for the oversized pistons -- probably not a new cam and all that. (Or, speaking from experience, what's really gonna be the way to go on this?) I'm actually looking to make this get the biggest bang for my buck -- My budget is somewhere around $1000 total. I realize that I can buy a new one rebuilt out of the box for around that so obviously, something around $500 is looking good.

THANKS!
What am I really getting into here??!! HA!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe I spent right around $1400 but that is for all block work , rebuild kit , new cam and over sized valve head , new crank and I did all the build myself so no shop bill for assembly.

I never built one of these motors till this one which is also the first one I have ever owned and got all the info I needed for the rebuild and specing the motor for the build right here on YT no manuals or fsm here just the SEARCH button and questions after I started my own thread for the build.

Their are a lot of people on here that are more then willing to help you if you need answers but at least use the search button before asking the questions so nobody flames you for asking a question that has been asked a zillion times before. I will help you as much as I can should you jump into this endeavor and just to get your juices flowing check these builds out.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-181237/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...begins-185041/
Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$4000 if you have somebody else do it--and they do a good job. I would at the minimum have a pro set up your rings for you. Less blow-by from the cylinder equals more power and less problems down the road......
Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
I believe I spent right around $1400 but that is for all block work , rebuild kit , new cam and over sized valve head , new crank and I did all the build myself so no shop bill for assembly.

I never built one of these motors till this one which is also the first one I have ever owned and got all the info I needed for the rebuild and specing the motor for the build right here on YT no manuals or fsm here just the SEARCH button and questions after I started my own thread for the build.

Their are a lot of people on here that are more then willing to help you if you need answers but at least use the search button before asking the questions so nobody flames you for asking a question that has been asked a zillion times before. I will help you as much as I can should you jump into this endeavor and just to get your juices flowing check these builds out.

well would ya look at that... I almost forgot about that thread

good times, good tims...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

--I appreciate it!! -- the links gave me the needed boost too--meeeeeeannnn photos.
I got the engine hoist, lights and everything else I should need for now set up. I'm gonna take some pictures tomorrow morning and get 'er started.
I was at first planning on taking the engine out piece by piece, but i think it might be a better idea to just rip it out and then take looks.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT APPROACH?? or should i just leave the block in for now and strip it down with it still mounted? If the worst case scenario happened and the block is cracked...i'm gonna have to take it out anyways right...

Oh yeah, and also...I found what looks to be a solid rebuild kit with everything including oversized piston options for $175 on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=370153537381
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Wow, that's pretty good that you guys can quote prices without knowing what kind of truck or engine he has.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Wow, that's pretty good that you guys can quote prices without knowing what kind of truck or engine he has.
Hey, what can i say--i am that good

$4k plus or minus a few hundred is what it should cost to get the rebuild done and done right.

I would stay away from ebay engine kits---just my two cents--figure you get what you pay for--MY motor builder has issues with customer provided chinese engine kits all the time....FYI
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if it's a 22re...expect to be in it for about $700-$900 if you do all the work yourself and have no work done on the block or head (both should definitely be inspected and clean by a professional though)

i did mine for around $1300, that's new rods, new crank and bearings, new cam, new gasket kit, new rings, and labor from an ex-family friend..i'm leaving out some small things like random bolts that got lost and such LOL..but that's about all i did.

now if it's 3vz then that's a whole different animal that i am taming as i type
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM

That's what I'm saying camo31. If it's a 22r it's going to be a lot less $$ to rebuild than a 3.0 or a 3.4. Hross14, I do agree your estimate is correct to completely rebuild a 3.4 the right way. But since there's only one head on a 22r, the cost goes way down - about 60% of the cost to rebuild a 3.4/3.0. I realize you know this Hross14, but we don't know what the OP has yet. A good quality, complete 22r rebuild should run in the neighborhood of $2500.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Cool Water in engine?

Ok, i am a newbie here so take it easy on me. lol I was wheeling today and got stuck. Water was pretty deep, and i have an open element air filter; K&N air filter. And I may have sucked up a little bit of water. My truck drives fine but it kinda hesitates to start when i try starting it. I drove home from my wheeling spot which is app 30 minutes away with no problem, b ut now the truckk wont start normally. could there be an ignition problem? Truck is a 3.0 V6. Any input will be appreciated
Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brian2sun
$1000 budget I realize that I can buy a new one rebuilt out of the box for around that so obviously, something around $500 is looking good.

sounded like a 22re to me not many 3.0 that cheap in the box lol
Old 02-13-2010, 02:10 AM

Lightbulb

Yyup. 1986 4Runner
22re.
3in body 3in suspension.
33x12.5 mickey thompson rims A/T tires.
I've done everything from water pump and front end alignment to electrical and fuel injection lines to replace bad metal gas lines...pretty much everything but the damn engine!!
I guess it was time...honestly though, I think it could just be the timing chain. Hasn't been changed in prolly 80k miles. Prolly broke through or that's what may have caused the head gasket bust or too much sea foam in the oil...damn i dunno yet!!

Either way though, I can get the machining done for 75 if it's the head + valves...hoping for around 200 for all the machine work.
The ebay parts sound too good to be true, but i'm just not gonna drop 3 grand -- those long block LC engineering motors look badass though!!
Besides, if i mess something up, the cheap ebay move won't make me wanna punch my own face...i hope.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 AM

Still burns rubber in 1st and 2nd...even with the top off.
Not as much though when i was running straight pipes off the down pipe...sounded awesome though
Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 AM

808Yodi where in the world are you?? this may make a difference... if you had a 3.4 I would suggest getting a used jap engine but in your position I would definitely do the rebuild!

Jaino240 it really depends on a lot! with an kn filter it simply could be you need to take it out and clean it because the milkshake effect on the air filter can cause a lot of this. is really kinda hard to get water all the way in the intake...

to all if you have high miles on your truck and have never done a seafoam on the block don't can cause more issues!!! however if you have done it regularly since new then continue for best results!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
he already said he has a 22re.....
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 AM

The progress slowed to a stop for the weekend because I've taken apart the Dana 60 Free floating axles on my 77 f250 and I'm getting into major trips with the brake drums and lines and redoing some electrical work on it...I love my 4Runner -- those 70's Fords though are pretty mean. I gotta get it setup as my daily driver though and then get to work on the runner.

You guys ever seen the Dana 60's with new gears?!?! If you put those on a Yota...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 AM

What island you from?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by IngSoc
What island you from?
I stay Haiku side Maui
Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Im in lahaina now but I was in haiku for a while up on nanihoku st.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 AM

oh yeah!? Right by Kauhikoa.
How's the rambling on the west side though?

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuilds