Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

clutch issue.1985 pickup sr5 4x4 goes in gear, no power to wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch issue.1985 pickup sr5 4x4 goes in gear, no power to wheels

I can go through all the gears without pressing in the clutch. it acts as though the clutch is always engaged. there was no gradual decay in power or any issues shifting prior to this. while on a steep grade i suddenly lost power to the wheels, i depressed the clutch pedal and let it out and i moved forward another 10 feet or so then no power at all. i checked the clutch master cylider reservoir and it was very low, i bled the slave cylinder out to ensure there was no air in the system. this didnt solve the problem. i will be replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders because they are both leaking. does anyone have any idea what might have caused this and if i need to replace anything else?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

At the time all this interesting stuff was happening did you smell burning clutch at all??

Did you hear any loud noises at all??

When you say it goes in gear is that engine running or shut off?? Bad clutch is not going to go in gear either from hydraulics or burnt clutch

What does your clutch pedal feel like if you have a problem with the hydraulics it will go straight to the floor and may build up pressure with pumping.

I am guessing you may have fried the clutch or broke something internal or maybe got the transfer case in neutral.

I know the hydraulics need replaced any way but I would figure out just what was wrong before spending money that might not cure the issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Has nothing to do with transfer case or hydraulics. Blown clutch (badly), bent fork, throwout bearing or broken spline. Drop it Buddy and do an inspection. Sorry.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM

no noises at all, a little bit of a burnt clutch smell but not all that bad. the transfer case is not in neutral. i was in 4 wheel drive and shifted back to 2wd and was able to unlock the hubs. im hoping its not anything too catastrophic since i didnt hear any grinding or loud noises when it quit working. this weekend i guess ill just drop the transmission and see whats up
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
10 hour job by flat rate manual. Drop the T-case and tranny and be prepared for a disk, pressure plate, pilot bushing (in crankshaft) & throwout bearing
Old 11-28-2011, 04:43 PM

You'll be fine. Not very expensives, labor intensive but these trucks are tough. As long as you're down there have you heard your U-joints popping, how's the center bearing, see any leaks from the tranny and diff seals? Doesn't all have to be done at once, but a good time for inspection. Beats walking 20 miles in the dark.
Rent the biggest tran jack you can find, rental places have no idea how big these things are.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM

everything else sounds and looks fine. no popping, no strange noises of any kind. low miles on the engine too, only 107k. im pretty sure the clutch has not been changed yet, i know it hasnt been changed by the last owner, and he was friends with the original owner. so i guess its just that time for some maintenance. appears to be a slight leak at the rear of the transfer case but its barely anything.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:19 PM

One other thought, hubs locked - 4 high, does it move? that removes drive line, diff and broken rear axle from the equation.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 PM

i just tried that and yeah i was able to push the truck back and forth.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM

so i got it all replaced this weekend. took the old clutch out and on the pressure plate side it was so thin that it was grinding the rivets that hold the pads onto the clutch disc. not only that but it had fused itself to the pressure plate, i had to literally peel it off of there. so it couldnt engage the flywheel, thus my symtoms of it acting like i had the pedal in at all times. had it out driving and i just need to adjust the pedal a bit and probably bleed out the cylinders again. thanks for everyones insight.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM

I forgot to mention the best part about the whole thing. the clutch went out on me while i was out on dishpan springs trail, almost to the top of the waterfall. i couldnt think of a worse place for it to happen. a friend had to tow me through the rest of the obstacles on the trail. spent 15 hours on the trail and 2 hours waiting for a tow truck. next time ill have a spare clutch in the car cuz i could have changed the darn thing in less time.hahaha