Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

89 yoda clutch trouble

Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 yoda clutch trouble

Ok my pickup started getting harder to put in to gear.if you drive later it wouldn't go into gear at all. I replaced the slave and master cylinder. no change after bleeding system. so I figured the next step was changing the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. I did so and replace the flywheel no different. the bolt that holds my pedal bracket to the firewall was broke I also fix that still no change. if you jack it up it'll go through all the gears and make no noise to indicate there's a problem with the transmission but you push the clutch in which feels normal will not engage. normal amount of throw on the slave cylinder. the pressure plate I took off the middle fingers that your carrier bearing rides on were flat and on the new clutch also after I tighten down the pressure plate they flattened out also. I read that's normal but I thought they were supposed to stick out a little bit. if anybody has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate it. thank you very much
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your sure the clutch Hydraulics and the clutch bracket are good.

Just what caused the bolt to break?? Did you inspect the clutch bracket to make sure it was not broken??

The clutch mechanical parts have been replaced with the proper replacement.

Did you match up the new parts with the old??

Just what did your old clutch disc look like??

At any time did it slip at all or was the hard shifting the only problem??

If you had the wrong clutch release bearing in your new kit it might be causing your problem.

Only thing left is the transmission .

When bearings wear the shafts move just enough so gears don`t engage like they should.

Quite a few things could cause this issue you just need to eliminate one thing at a time.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be absolutely sure that the clutch bracket is not cracked. It can be hard to see, but will produce the symptoms you describe and is a common issue.