Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

CanBack top question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CanBack top question

Hi all,
My name is Bryan. I just bought my first toyota. its an 88 4runner. 22re. 5spd. gray interior. pretty much all original. no rust. going to use it as a daily driver.

anyways, i always wanted one of these trucks and the CanBack soft top to go with it. I called CanBack's distributor and learned that they don't have any first gen 4runner tops in stock and don't plan on making a production run til the end of the year. so i started looking for a used one. found a couple of people selling them in various conditions. but it did turn up some questions that i confirmed with CanBack's distributor.

Apparently during the last ownership change of the company, a design change was made to the top. Previously, the lower portion of the rear... "flap" we'll say (above the tailgate) was snapped to the truck with a strip that was double sticky taped to the outside of the tailgate. When ownership changed apparently a bar was added that mounted between the two side rails ON TOP of the tailgate. the top now snaps to the rear bar. thus eliminating the tape.

My question is, if i buy a used top of the older tape mounted style, will the new bar mounted style fit the older top? I only ask because 1) if i buy used the tape will need to be replaced. 2) the tape style is no longer supported so i could just go ahead and upgrade.

let me hear it.
Thanks
bryan
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Killertoytops

Far superior product IMO.

Welcome to Yotatech.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 AM

thanks for the link. those tops do look pretty sweet. a like that there are a lot of options too.

unfortunately, he is not taking any orders until october. just my luck. and canback is not making any until then either. and of course they dont have any in stock.

i did find a guy on craigslist selling one for $650. its only a year old. so it seems like a steal. i think it may be the "taped" version i was speaking of above though. so i kind of need to know if it will swap.

even if i have to make something, 650 is a steal right? considering they sell new for 1200-1400?

even the killer toy top is 850 bucks to start with.
thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Banned

I've had a Canback and they are functional and cool. The Killertoytop looks like a far superior design and setup in my opinion. Getting to keep your back window functional seems like a big bonus. Ill pick one up if I ever get another 1st gen 4Runner.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 AM

wabfab,
i dont understand how the killer toy top allows you to keep the rear window functioning? the pictures i saw had a flap that you roll up just like the sides of the canback? or was i mistaking?

even still, why would you want to roll up the rear window without the fiberglass top on? wouldnt it just be flopping in the wind without the tracks in the fiberglass top to keep it sturdy?
i must be missing something here.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Banned

I was pretty certain the KTT allowed use of the rear window as that was a big reason I liked it. Maybe I need more coffee.

Look at th KTT website.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 AM

just checked them out again.
here are a list of what he calls his "features at a glance"

"Top made from high quality Sunbrella fabric and UV resistant threads. Sunbrella is typically used for boat covers so it is very durable, UV and fade resistant, and above all waterproof!
-Frame is made from 7/8" marine grade aluminum tubing. It has a bright anodized finish so it won't oxidize and looks good even with the top off.
-Easily adjustable straps keep frame in place and top tensioned. Also keep back window from moving in or out when it is rolled up.
-Top comes down in less than a minute, goes back up in less than five
-Quick release tube frame can be removed completely in a matter of seconds and stored in your truck or left at home!
-Button snaps at corners to keep fabric in place
-Very quiet at highway speeds
-Sides can be removed seperately and top section left on for shade if desired.
-Can be made with or without smoked vinyl rear passenger side windows.
-Uses all factory hard top bolt holes. Requires NO drilling of holes.
-Side rails made from flat aluminum for extra clean low profile.
-Cab rail uses factory hard top seal
-Standard color is black, but some other colors are available at a slightly higher cost"

he even talks about rolling up the back window in the top portion there. havent actually spoken to the man though. could be wrong. but it doesnt say anything about the glass window rolling up. that would be cool though.

***oooh..when he says rolls up, do you think he means roll up the glass, or roll up the fabric, like into an actual roll? idk. that is misleading isnt it?

Last edited by bryan89; 09-01-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: maybe im dumb??
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Look at the photo gallery. Rear window can be rolled up.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:13 AM

oh yeah. i see now.
i AM dumb.
lol. when he said "rolled up" in the description i thought he actually meant rolled like you would roll a carpet or something.
that is a cool feature..
never the less it still doesnt help me cause i cant buy one!!!!
of course. such is my life. CANT HAVE NOTHIN!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 AM

does anybody have pictures of the new style mount for the rear flap?
here is a link to a pic of what i am talking about for the tape on strip deal.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/can-back/07.jpg

does someone have a newer style one that they could post a picture of?
thanks
bryan