Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Camshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft help

I recently decided that I was going to replace my leaking head gasket on my 22r by myself for the first time, and with the help of my manuals and many awesome threads I have had a relatively easy go at it so far...

Once the head was off, I decided to take it to my napa machine shop to pressure test it, resurface if it was warped at all, and do new valves. I got the thing back the other day and it looked great. At least at first inspection. Since I am still working on the timing chain, I set it aside. I recently took a look at it and noticed that some of the bolts on the cam bearing caps were loose, so I decided to look closer and some even appeared to be the wrong bolts. I also attempted to rotate the cam and it wouldn't budge! They had given me a bag of bolts and the heater bypass (at the back of the block which they removed) so I figured that they mixed some of this stuff up. I removed the bearing caps as per the manual procedure and removed the cam which was really tight in there. I added some new moly lube to the bearing seats and caps and retorqued the proper bolts to 14 ft lbs the spec recommended. The cam still won't budge. I am no expert but am confident it should turn freely.

Since I am a newbie and have never attempted to do anything like this, I wanted to check with some veterans and see if I may have done something wrong before I go and raise hell with the machine shop for screwing up my cam and cylinder head. (Which I am sure wont help, and I am a bit afraid that I will be stuck buying a new head which is not cool on my limited budget.) I am actually hoping that it is something I did and an easy fix. All I know at this point is I brought them a oily nasty leaking head with a nice freely spinning camshaft, and $180 later, I got back a beautiful head with new valves, but the cam won't rotate.

Thanks for any ideas and encouragement.