See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

All Power windows not working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 PM
JPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation All Power windows not working.

1991 Toyota 4Runner with automatic windows and door locks.

Since I purchased my 4runner two years ago it has had electrical issues. The previous owner did a ton of splicing into the factory harness to allow the windows to roll up and down. With direct DC power going to the main switch I was able to roll up and down all the windows including the back window.

I recently deceided to mine out all the "Extra" wire and remove all splices. I'm determined to get all the windows to operate as designed from Toyota. I believe I have canceled out the switch and motor/s since I had them working with dicrect DC power.

Side windows: I'm getting nothing, no power. I checked all fuses, and visually checked relays and modules.

Rear Window: I'm getting a beep noise when I try with tailgate down, with tailgate up I get nothing, no power to motor. I messed with switches and made sure wiper is in the rest position.

I'm looking for suggestions on what else to try and wanted to know if the door lock module or circuit would keep the windows from working (none of the door locks work as well). Thanks for any help. Winter is almost here and I want everything to work for my wife when she uses it in the snow.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM
JPL

Red face The troubleshooting continues...

I have found that the control module for my 4runner is located in the drivers rear corner behind the tail light and that it also controls the rear window that I'm haveing issues with as well (not going up or down).

I've been looking for a wire diagram for my 4runner and have had no luck.. I might purchase the toyota owners manual.

I checked the Rear Power Window module connector and tested all wires with ignition on with module plugged in. I'm getting
12V at 1. Blue ,
10.5V at 8. Red/Blue, 18 Blue/White, and 20. Blue/Red.
6V at; 6. White/Green, 7. Red/White, 9. Green/Red, and 17. Green/Yellow. All the rest of the wires have no power with ignition on.

I checked the "Door control module" by the fuses at the drivers foot well (with module plugged in and ignition on)
12V at 2. light green/violet, and 6. Black/Orange.
4V at 9. Blue/Red, 10. Blue/White (smaller wire), 11. Blue/Yellow, 12. White/Red.
all the rest of the wires have no power with ignition on.

I checked the Drivers Door Switch while plugged in and ignition on.
No wires receiving 12V power.
4V at 7. Blue/Red
3.3V at 10. Red/White, and 11. Red/Yellow.
all the rest of the wires have no power with igition on.

I noticed that with tailgate open I get a beep noise from the rear when trying to raise the rear window with rear window switch, and a quiet beep noise from the rear when trying to lower the drivers window with ignition on.

If anyone could check their wire diagram and confirm which wires should be getting 12V with ignition on at the Power Window module and drivers window switch. and if anyone could verify if the "Door control" module would affect the operation of the power window operation. Thanks.

Last edited by JPL; 10-29-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
JPL

Just to clarify:
I have tested all the fuses.
The window lock button is enabled.
The switches and motors have been tested (not exactly sure if drivers switch is 100% since all doors go through it.)
No power to switch, windows not working, including rear window.
Checked rear door sensors (i.e. wiper position, door latch).

My question:
Can the "Door Control" module affect the power window function?
Has anyone experienced this issue with all windows not working?
Does anyone have a link to download a wiring manual for 1991 Toyota 4Runner?
Are there any suggestions or questions to help me track down the issue?

I don't want to bypass the module and I don't want to purchase a new module when I'm not sure if mine is even bad.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM
JPL

Just ordered a Toyota repair manuel with electrical system diagrams, etc. I will update this thread with any progress or possibly a solution. It's nice to have a forum where I can log my progress for others to possibly find usefull when searching with similar issues.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
JPL

Thumbs up UPDATE, Fixed issue!!!...now I have another issue. :/

I received the Toyota service manual and started following the troubleshooting guide. First thing on the list of things to check when all windows are not working: Gauge fuse blown (I checked all fuses so I skipped this part), 30A Circuit Breaker off/tripped (I remember reading about this but could never find it). I spend a good ammount of time on Google image search with no luck, and all the threads talking about it have no picture. I found the picture in my service manual along with the location. AND there was my main issue! The previous owner removed the circuit breaker!! I'm not surprised as this 4runner is more of a resurected parts donor. I installed a Temporary jumper where the Circuit breaker goes and now ALL the windows work!! Well most of them.. now I have a strange issue with my passenger window.

My passenger window will only go down using the passenger door switch. I know it's not the passenger door switch or window motor. I ran a jumper lead from the battery to the motor to get the window back up. I think it's either the master door switch or a somewhere between the master switch and passenger door harness.

I'm just glad I was able to fix the main issue so I can start putting everything back together. The Toyota Service manual is a huge help but I wish the wire schematics were more detailed.

Recap: Bad circuit breaker equals no power window function including rear window. In the picture below you can see the relay / fuse block located on the drivers foot-well. the circuit breaker goes to the far right (toward firewall). As you can see there is nothing there.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha!