Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Add clock light to dash cluster illumination

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add clock light to dash cluster illumination

I found a post stating that center cluster plug B5 and B6 wires are dash light dimmer connected (by yellowtoytruck) and I want to have my just-added Jaguar clock's light to same power/dim with other dash lights. Those appear to be wires on either side of the dash rheostat (dimmer) wiring. Can anyone tell me which I wish to use?

Or should I go directly to the rheostat, and which wire color is correct?

Apparently I can't contact yellowtoytruck directly as I don't use Instagram. I already swapped my 85 PU's cluster w/ a 4Runners to get the tach & gauges)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The standard is input voltage is on the top or left of a diagram and ground output is on the right or bottom..
Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Can you identify byconnector and number which connector and wire number you're referring to?
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene Johnson
Can you identify byconnector and number which connector and wire number you're referring to?
Don't guess test.

Turn the dimmer so the lights are brightest and measure. One will be battery voltage and the other will be ground.

When you turn the dimmer dial ground will approach battery voltage.

If that diagram follows the norm you have battery in on the left and ground on the right. B5 and b6
Old 10-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Thanks! Makes sense!

Thanks! I'll do that. I'm relearning, slowly, auto electrics I probably knew 45 years ago...

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Don't guess test.

Turn the dimmer so the lights are brightest and measure. One will be battery voltage and the other will be ground.

When you turn the dimmer dial ground will approach battery voltage.

If that diagram follows the norm you have battery in on the left and ground on the right. B5 and b6
Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 666 Likes on 457 Posts
Gene,
I don't know what truck-model-year-engine-transmission you have, but on First-gen 4Runner with 22RE, the clock DIM signal is 12V coming from tail light power.
The dash light dimmer is on the ground side so I don't think that would dim your clock DISPLAY.
However if the clock has BACKLIGHT, then dash-light dimmer can be used to control ground on that.

CLICK THIS to see bigger resolution schematic.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks; got it!

That makes sense as you explain it. Somehow I didn't grasp it that way merely looking at the diagram. I'm goiny to try the backlight approach first as it is a backlit clock, not an LED. I'll report back when my attempt(s) suceed.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Gene,
I don't know what truck-model-year-engine-transmission you have, but on First-gen 4Runner with 22RE, the clock DIM signal is 12V coming from tail light power.
The dash light dimmer is on the ground side so I don't think that would dim your clock DISPLAY.
However if the clock has BACKLIGHT, then dash-light dimmer can be used to control ground on that.

CLICK THIS to see bigger resolution schematic.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM

Gene, you need to put us at your vehicle so we're not guessing.
Model-year-engine-transmission-trim
We need to know what you are dealing with.
Is it a digital clock with numerals that light up, OR
is it analog with back lighting - being that Jaguar, a British car, may have the classic analog clock.
We also need to see the schematic of how it is wired in the Jaguar. If we can take the time to share details with you, you should be able to, right?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-23-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 PM

Prior message had all that; sorry. I think it's figured out now, Pulled clock's light power off ground side of dash light rheostat.

85 Toy PU (Cab & Chassis 1 ton) Dolphin MH, 22re, 5 speed conversion DLX trim w/ 4Runner gauge cluster, BOSS Rear view camera/DVD-CD GPS, LEDs on small bulbs, new fridge (dometic 3 way 3CFt).
Clock is a Jaguar analog 92-96+/- XJS et al. w rear gauge type lighting, black face white hands. New Delco 110 amp alternator, AC swap, new 2500watt inverter.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Gene, you need to put us at your vehicle so we're not guessing.
Model-year-engine-transmission-trim
We need to know what you are dealing with.
Is it a digital clock with numerals that light up, OR
is it analog with back lighting - being that Jaguar, a British car, may have the classic analog clock.
We also need to see the schematic of how it is wired in the Jaguar. If we can take the time to share details with you, you should be able to, right?
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Johnson
... Clock is a Jaguar analog ... I think it's figured out now, Pulled clock's light power off ground side of dash light rheostat.
Like I suspected. Saves time when you let us know details. Why not a picture of all the wires from your clock? What do you know about the wires from the Jag clock?
The Jag clock backlight circuit should have one wire that connects to 12V that comes on ONLY when tails are on. That's B5 on Co's diagram.
The other wire to backlight would go to variable ground that you need to verify with a multi-meter as Co suggests above^^^. That's B6 (Sae as rheostat Pin 1) .

Prior message had all that...
85 Toy PU (Cab & Chassis 1 ton) Dolphin MH, 22re, 5 speed conversion DLX trim w/ 4Runner gauge cluster
There you go, I suggest you put that in your signature so busy people wanting to help would not have to look hard for info to help them help you.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Jag clock in place & running

Connector by steering column w/ loose ends

Loose end of Brown wire w/ soldered connector
I'm back w/ updated signature...

The Jag clock works (photo attached.)

While working under dash I found a plug by steering column that has two wires disconnected (remember it's a 5 speed swap in an 85 cab & Chassis 1 ton RV) One wire is gray, cut. stripped, & taped near the connector. The other is a Brown that I may have pulled from fuse block when working. I can't identify the plug on a wireing diagram, nor can I tell where any of the wires go when scouring my Haynes book and on-line diagrams*. n So, it's down to photos and dashboard surgeons for help. 6 Colors on the connector- none striped- Gereen, Red, Yellow, Gray (cut), Purple, Brown (disconnected)

Since the Gray had been cut & stripped, it might have been for either the AT or the Cruise Control which doesn't work. Just would like to know what and why, if it needs to go somewhere. there's no other loose end nearby.

The Brown looks like it was pulled out as it has an odd looking pointed piece soldered on. It is long enough to reach the fuse block and may have pulled out of there. If so, which fuse should it go to?

in order:

*(a chart of connectors w/ colors, or circuit list w/ colors, would help; any such resources?)
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Suweet! The analog just belongs on our classic trucks!