Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

96 4runn sag issues etc.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4runn sag issues etc.

Am I ever glad to have found this site...wicked awesome
I have a 96 4runner limited that i cherish but it has some flaws that im hopin you smart guys can help me out with
1st-sag on the drivers side more in the back. what can anyone suggest to resolve. as far as i know new springs were installed pre purchase 2 years ago.
2nd-CEL o2 sensor code. any way to shut off the light without changing.
those sensors are expensive in the north or can anyone suggest a place to get some inexpensive sensors in canada or anywhere?
3rd- rattle in the engne on acceleration possibly heat shields. can these be removed without consequence?
as well i am considering a suspension lift. nothing to big any recomendations would be awesome. as well as a suggestion for new shocks.
thanks for any help. truly appreciated
geoff
Old 06-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

1. Even aftermarket springs will sag over time. The driver's side will usually sag more since it consistently carries the most weight (driver, gas tank).

2. You can reset the light but if the O2 sensor(s) is bad then it will just keep coming on. Check URD for some decent prices on new O2 sensors.

3. Get underneath your 4Runner and tap around with a rubber mallet to confirm where your rattle is coming from. Don't assume that is where it is coming from and start removing parts. If I did that with my luck I could have my truck completely dissassembled and still not find the rattle.

4. TRD Coil 4Runner lift that sits 2" front & 2.5" rear. "Mild" system for the masses! .

Even though this may irritiate some people here, take some time and use the blinking yellow Search button at the top of the screen. You could find alot more info about your questions.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 AM

There seem to be two nagging problems with 3rd gen 4runners: warped disc brake rotors and sagging rear springs. Two or three options with the springs: get a very small lift spring (PP), get a higher lift spring (Land Cruiser Coils) or do a spacer lift. IMO spacer lifts are the cheapest (it's what I did) but about a year after the install, it's sagged about an inch from where it was. I've got a set of Land Cruiser coils coming to me and they should provide about 3.5 inches of lift and will mostly avoid the sagging problem. Bighead's link will provide some good info and like he said, use the search for more info. Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 96Greenrunner
Am I ever glad to have found this site...wicked awesome
I have a 96 4runner limited that i cherish but it has some flaws that im hopin you smart guys can help me out with

1st-sag on the drivers side more in the back. what can anyone suggest to resolve. as far as i know new springs were installed pre purchase 2 years ago.

You can get rid of the rear end sag with a few different methods as Bighead mentioned above. I am surprised no one has mentioned the Old Man Emu (or OME) setup yet. I did that on mine and you can see from the pics on my profile page in my sig exactly what it looks like on a 96 4runner and what parts I put on (including OME shocks). It will give you about 1.5" up front and about 2.25" in back (those measurements are after the springs settled for a few months, initially it will be higher when brand new). You will be amazed at the difference in the ride. I also got the parts from a company in Vancouver, http://www.nsor.com/default.cfm , they had good prices and fast shipping when I got mine anyway. The OME lift is not cheap, but it is one of the best changes I have made in my 4runner yet IMHO.

2nd-CEL o2 sensor code. any way to shut off the light without changing.
those sensors are expensive in the north or can anyone suggest a place to get some inexpensive sensors in canada or anywhere?

What was the actual code number? If you are looking for O2 sensors in Canada, then usually the dealer is the place to go (only use OEM denso sensors!). I'm not sure if URD will ship across the border but I'd give them a call and see if they would do that (if so, they are one of the best places to get O2 sensors). The other place I'd try would be www.trdparts4u.com again I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada or not. If you have friends or family in the US then you can send it to them and have them forward the package across via USmail/Canada Post (I've done that alot).

3rd- rattle in the engne on acceleration possibly heat shields. can these be removed without consequence?

You need to get under there and see where the rattle is coming from, a good rubber mallet will work well as was mentioned. Yes, the heat shields can be removed with no issues if that is making the rattle.

as well i am considering a suspension lift. nothing to big any recomendations would be awesome. as well as a suggestion for new shocks.
thanks for any help. truly appreciated
geoff
Answers above in red.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 AM

I should've included the OME setup MTL. I know you run it and are really happy with it. Kinda depends on the thickness of the wallet too.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the great help, really appreciate it
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM

I like the idea of the cruiser springs, where might a guy look for those?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 96Greenrunner
I like the idea of the cruiser springs, where might a guy look for those?
Just do a search for Land Cruiser coil springs. There are a couple of long threads on the topic. I can give you the exact part number if you want too, as well as a very inexpensive place online to order them. My LC coils will be at my house Monday so I'll slap em in and post pics next week.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by emptypockets
I should've included the OME setup MTL. I know you run it and are really happy with it. Kinda depends on the thickness of the wallet too.
No prob......and yes, it totally depends on your budget.
For some, OME or even the Tundra/Cruiser coils are too much $$$$.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
Just do a search for Land Cruiser coil springs. There are a couple of long threads on the topic. I can give you the exact part number if you want too, as well as a very inexpensive place online to order them. My LC coils will be at my house Monday so I'll slap em in and post pics next week.
i will take that info if you have it as i am sourcing out different avenues. thanks for your help
Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
96GreenRunner,
LC Coils are TALL 3.5"+. I needed to get rid of sag so I replaced all my springs. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/gerdos-profile-85724/ I am very hapy with my lift. It deffinitly is not too much. If you have sagging, spacers are just a band-aid not a fix. I spent about $330 on all 4 new springs and if I went with OMEs on the front instead of the TRDs it would have been about $60 less.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:22 PM

Here are the Land Cruiser PN's you wanted...

LR: 48131-6a570 (color coded: Orange, orange, white)
RR: 48131-6a480 (color coded: purple, grey, white)

Toyotapartssales.com has them for about $62 each...about $90 from the local stealership.

Like Gerdo said, these coils are long and will give 3.5" of lift over stock. Originally, I had Daystar 2.5" spacers all around and the back has sagged about and inch or so. The stock springs are just weak and as was said above, the spacers are just a bandaid.

Also, the more serious off roaders recommend a panhard drop bracket, extended brake lines and ebrake bracket mod. Since I hardly ever run off road, I'm just planning to install the LC coils and take it from there. For me, this is basically an appearance thing as opposed to an off road mod. Maybe with these coils, the rake of my rig will be about 1" higher in the rear, which is perfect.

I'm going to take some pics documenting the mod and some before and after pics in the 3rd gen thread sometime next week. Keep looking for it and let me know if you need any other info. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I will post pics on here soon and will probably go with the lc springs. Another question I had since the issue of brake warpage was raised. what is reccommended for my 96 keeping in mind I pull a 3000lb trailer with it
any ideas would be much appreciated
Old 06-24-2006, 04:24 AM

Try searching...there are probably 20+ good threads on brakes. The concensus seems to be either a Tundra big brake upgrade or Brembo blanks with OEM pads. I've got another 10k or so left in mine before replacement and I've got 60k on my rig.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply i have started to make good use of the search tool and have found tonnes of valuable info.