Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

91 truck not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 91 truck not getting fuel

I am a new member, i just bought another 91 truck, this one was'nt running. Seller had swapped out the 22re engine and said he drove it, then quit running. I found a blown 15amp fuse that went to the efi. It kept blowing, when i disconnected the ecu the fuse would'nt blow. The ecu smelt burnt, i got a used ecu, and a broken round relay (in the same fuse block) that he had a jumper wire attached. I tried starting it last nite, no luck! It would start to fire when i put starting fluid directly into motor. I don't know what to try next?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM

first check for fuel pressure ,if you don't check relay under dash above ecu make sure it has 12v coming in and out when trying to start .if you have fuel pressure check timing chain see if there is alot of slack .will it run or just sputter when you put in starter fluid . then chek your cold start injector . good luck
Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look over all the connections in the engine bay, if the air meter is not plugged in then the fuel pump will not kick on and u wont get fuel.. good luck and hope u can get it going.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info, i am new to any type of forum, i don't know if i put my question in the correct place, cause i don't know the difference of a blog,thread,newbie,bbcode,trackback,pingback,refba ck or exactly what i'm doing! Thanks again i hope you get this...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info, i hope to work on the problem saturday when i get off work. I will start with the main relay and go from there. I'm new to forum's and don't know exactly what i'm doing. I hope you get this, thanks again!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Hey let me know if that took care of your problem. I have a 1993 4Runner, It was running good. I had alot of work done to the truck, but now my efi fuse keeps blowing. I have replaced it a few times. I have to replace it to start my truck. When I replace the fuse it feels hot.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM

im having a simular problem, i was riding one day and fuel just shut off and i found the efi fuse blew, but as soon as i put one in it blowes it again. i have 91 pickup 22re 5 speed 4x4 dlx. im guessing a short so i will test all my harness for the efi and see what happens
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM

I have a similar problem. I have an 87 4runner with 22re I was on a hill climb and lost fuel. I have replaced the fuel pump as well as open circuit relay and mass inflow sensor. My truck has pressure and will fire but dies instantly. I bridged the fuel pump and battery and the pump works. without the bridge fuel pump doesn't send fuel when key is in on position. No clues how to fix. Im about to cut wire harness sheeth and trace every single wire unless someone has better idea. Also when the fuel pump is bridged it will start but will still die immediately. Plugs and wires are new and pressure is good.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

mass inflow sensor? do u mean the air flow meter? the box think with the air cleaner? i would also test that those wires are sending signal to the ecu.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Ya. I meant airflow. I'm on my phone so auto correct is a bitch. But I have check the resistance coming off the mas and its spot on. Every terminal.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would just run the full battery of tests at the ECU for resistance/voltage readings. It can often tell you if you have an issue with the wiring between the ECU and each unit it controls/sets up, etc.

These tests are in the FSM....... I have an 87 and an FSM link, but I can't find it at the moment on my PC...it's on my lap top, no time, grr! lol. When I started testing at the ECU, I realized that some of my readings were quite different from the readings i was getting at the actual components(only some)... so I traced it down to that wire at the #2 Injector connector(The pins in the ECU for the injectors are "No.10 and No.20" Each one controls 2 separate injectors). Could be something of a short in your system, corrosion...but could also be something like a relay overheating, causing a back up of voltage and poof, 15A replacement again, ya know?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM

If u get a chance and can email the schematics to me that would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51518510

That's some of the AFM one, but I can't get to the rest of the FSM for now. I know someone who has the link but they've not answered me, ya know?

That link is a permalink to my Troubleshooting thread that's in my sig. It was really extensive in testing, etc., but I can't find the ECU testing portions right now, either. I think they're in my build thread in my sig.

Ask one of the staff here on the home page, I'm sure they can direct you to the proper FSManual links/downloads.

Be back later.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I have it saved to my Documents, it's 88.9MB! lol.... But I don't know how to share it, etc.? I also can't find the link to it. It's an 88 manual, but MOST of it is the same. I'll try later, back to work for me, sorry.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks man. Appreciate the advice.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

try that link for the fsm...
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM

Hey Justin, ......

Not sure if it's just a harmless warning... but every time I click on that link(i've seen it before many times), my Pay version Malwarebytes Software lights up like Christmas. Not saying it's a bad site, I know better.....just wondering why it is getting blocked,.. maybe it has a post or two in there that are somewhat malicious? lol.. Either way, it's catching something, lol. As I said, just curious.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Justin, ......

Not sure if it's just a harmless warning... but every time I click on that link(i've seen it before many times), my Pay version Malwarebytes Software lights up like Christmas. Not saying it's a bad site, I know better.....just wondering why it is getting blocked,.. maybe it has a post or two in there that are somewhat malicious? lol.. Either way, it's catching something, lol. As I said, just curious.

hey thanks, i guess i wont post it to make sure someone doesnt get a virus or something... but thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM

I went to the link and downloaded the fsm pdf no problem. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Yeah, like I said, Justin, "NOT SAYIN" it's bad, lol. And I LOVE browsing that site. As does Scoob, etc., ...so I was just asking, "why would it do that?'....just curiosity, lol.

SWEET, Irishman, ....attack that book, homie! lol. Seriously, I wish you well on your gremlin hunt... LORD AND EVERYONE HERE KNOWS I know what that's like, hahaha.

Mark

Quick Reply: 91 truck not getting fuel