Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 toyota pickup

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 toyota pickup

I have a 86 toyota pickup 4x4 that ha+d the 22re turbo in it the person Before me took the turbo out and put a regular 22re in it the truck sat up for a few years and I'm trying to get it running again. I have replaced the fuel pump checked all the relays and wires. I can try and crank the truck it will turn over but not crank it will crank off starting fluid but not by itself I'm wondering if maybe the ecm has gone bad being it sat up for 5 years. I'm bout at my end with this truck cause the ecm is 237$ also gas is running to the intake but it donr seem like the injectors are coming on I took the ecm out that's in it now and it didn't look burn but I don't guess that mean anything I just would like some advice on what else I could check

Last edited by Austin Ryals; 09-13-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Austin Ryals
I have a 86 toyota pickup 4x4 that ha+d the 22re turbo in it the person Before me took the turbo out and put a regular 22re in it the truck sat up for a few years and I'm trying to get it running again. I have replaced the fuel pump checked all the relays and wires. I can try and crank the truck it will turn over but not crank it will crank off starting fluid but not by itself I'm wondering if maybe the ecm has gone bad being it sat up for 5 years. I'm bout at my end with this truck cause the ecm is 237$ also gas is running to the intake but it donr seem like the injectors are coming on I took the ecm out that's in it now and it didn't look burn but I don't guess that mean anything I just would like some advice on what else I could check
Did you search?
Do you have power to the positive side of your injectors? ECM grounds the negative side of injectors. Terrys87 and others have write-ups on how to check if ECM is doing that. Also, there is a splice/crimp on the wire that runs from negative side of injectors to the ECM pins. That crimp/splice gets easily corroded and brittle.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 AM

Haven't really checked it had this problem once before with a 94 ford ranger 4x4 it would crank off starting fluid but nothing else we put a new ecm in it amd it cranked right up so I think that might be what it is cause all the wires look good on the truck
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Language cranking is the engine turning over .

At this point you have a crank but no start condition .

Quite possible the fuel filter is full of rust or the injectors from the ethanol flavored gas .

You have checked that the fuel pump does run by jumping B+ and FP on the check connector ??

Just how did you check the relays ?

Might be as simple as a poor ground for the ECM
Old 09-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The 85-87 injector harness is a poor design. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ Unless the computer has gotten wet, I have never had one to fail. I least suspect your ECM. If it will run on starting fluid and you are sure you are getting fuel to the fuel rail, use the Noid light posted and see if it is sending a signal to the connector harness. If it is and just because the Noid Light blinks, does not mean it is getting enough voltage to fire the injector.

In no certain order I would check

Injectors clogged at the screens on the supply side of the injector.
Fuel getting to the fuel rail, I do the fuel jumper bypass and with the rubber fuel return line disconnected from the firewall see if it will fill a quart jar in about a minute while cranking the motor or with the key on.
Check to see if the Noid light will fire while attached to the connector. That will tell you if computer is working. The crimps in the wiring harness is a poor design. Open the harness up and solder the wires together.

In this link https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320 there are several diagrams that are useful.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The 85-87 injector harness is a poor design. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ Unless the computer has gotten wet, I have never had one to fail. I least suspect your ECM. If it will run on starting fluid and you are sure you are getting fuel to the fuel rail, use the Noid light posted and see if it is sending a signal to the connector harness. If it is and just because the Noid Light blinks, does not mean it is getting enough voltage to fire the injector.

In no certain order I would check

Injectors clogged at the screens on the supply side of the injector.
Fuel getting to the fuel rail, I do the fuel jumper bypass and with the rubber fuel return line disconnected from the firewall see if it will fill a quart jar in about a minute while cranking the motor or with the key on.
Check to see if the Noid light will fire while attached to the connector. That will tell you if computer is working. The crimps in the wiring harness is a poor design. Open the harness up and solder the wires together.

In this link https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320 there are several diagrams that are useful.

I'm not really sure how to do that I'm only 18 don't really have no experience with any of this
Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM

I have replaced the fuel pump and blew out all the lines it just stops at the injectors they won't spray that why I was wondering about ecm I don't really no how to check the injectors or anything like that