Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

85 OME Dakar help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
85 OME Dakar help needed

Ok so I have had my 85 for 2 years and the Dakar springs for a year and have done nothing with them. Life looks like it will finally allow me to install them. Finally!!!!

Ok so I picked up a used set of Dakar springs, Mounted never driven, and all but 1 spring has bushings as well. Now need to know what else I need to install them. I know I need a bushing set of one of them and am planning on new u-bolts all the way around. Driveshafts should work. OME shocks? Should I/do I need a drop pitman arm? Will stock shackles work?

What else's am I missing? Tires, gears, ARB's are next but spring are first.

Edit: I already have the ARB's, harness, and 3rds. But need to get new gears installed in the 3rd and a compressor as well. Might do a CO2 bottle to start with. But let's get the springs on first.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 09-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Solid axle?
I believe I've read over the years there is a little more work into making this work up front, otherwise you won't be able to steer. I believe you may need a drop drag link to clearance parts if keeping stock steering. Otherwise I think the other choice is to convert to hi-steer, which is what I'd do - should improve handling too.
Dunno if you bought all 4 or only 2 leafs but another popular choice is to put the OMEs in rear and do RUF for better flex.
Have seen people use both stock shacles and lifted ones in the 5-6" length. I think some people also keep stock shackles until leafs break in, then determine the length you want.
You may want to get yourself extended brake lines too.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's a stock SA so the drop drag link will be bought as well. I got all 4 springs in the deal. I want to stick to stock shackles to start with until I get my gears and lockers setup. Then more lift and bigger tires. From what I have rest on the hy-steer you needs 3-4" and this one should only be 2.5". But only measurements will tell. Once the extended shackles are installed I will probably have to shim the axels as well for driveshaft angles.

I have found a few decent write up on here and pirate but photo bucket has successfully killed most all build threads.

Keep the ideas coming.