Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1993 Toyota Pickup V6 5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Toyota Pickup V6 5 speed manual

I had my Toyota parked for a day, left in neutral and with the parking brake engaged. I started it monday morning, disengaged the parking brake, put it in first and tried to go but it wouldn't move. Engine would bog down as I slowly let the clutch out, nothing out of the ordinary, but the truck still wouldn't move. My thought was that my parking brake froze again, although it wasn't near freezing temps, a little chilly but not freezing. My parking brake has froze a couple of times a few months ago, when it was freezing temps, so I thought that the chilly morning was cold enough to do it. Came home later that evening after work to check on it and same thing, put it in gear, slowly let the clutch out and still no movement. The truck feels like it wants to move. Engine bogs down the more I let the clutch out but still no doesn't move. I checked under the truck to see if the brake cable was working. Had my son engage and disengage the parking brake and I could see it moving. Could it be that my brake caliper hasn't released? What could be the issue and a solution? Thank you in advance.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Jack up the wheels one by one with the truck in neutral and parking brake off and try to spin the wheels. You'll quickly find where the problem lies. Make sure you chock the opposite corner and take necessary precautions so the truck doesn't roll away once the stuck wheel is in the air.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I jacked up the rear driver side and my wheel is stuck. I removed the wheel and now I have to figure out how to take off the drum. There are two threaded holes. I guess I have to put 2 screws/bolts in them and crank them evenly to help remove the drum, but I don't have the bolts nor do I know what size to use. Can you shed any insight on how to remove the drum, size of bolts for the threaded holes, and what to expect or look for once the drum is removed? I haven't checked the other wheels but will do so after I tackle this wheel first. Thank you again for your reply.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Back the brake adjuster off.

It is a little tricky the first time one tool to hold the locking arm away from the adjuster the other to turn the adjuster

If you have never adjusted your brakes the access is through the backing plate it may still have the rubber plug most never get put back in.

Trying to remove a stuck drum with those two bolts most times just strips the threads out of the drum

If they are not already .

Size is M8x1.25
Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
All the above info is true. You need to back the adjuster off otherwise the same thing keeping the drum from turning will keep it from sliding off the wheel studs. Once you get it off, look for anything out of the ordinary. Look for pivot points that don't pivot. Look for bent parts, rusty parts, parts missing (hard to do if you're not familiar but you can remove the other drum and compare if necessary), and generally things that don't seem right. Usually, a good teardown, clean, grease, and rebuild will get things back to working like new.