Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

89 Toyota Pick up - No fifth Gear or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 89 Toyota Pick up - No fifth Gear or reverse

Hey Guys. Hoping you can help a damsel in distress. My pick up which is 89 4WD V6 5 speed was doing fine. My son drove it and the next day I had no reverse or fifth gear. Been reading up on it and have seen where it could possibly be the bushings and/or seat in the shifter which I am praying that it is. I ordered the parts, and proceeded to dismantle the shifter. I turned the little sleeve thing to the left but not sure if it was a full 1/4 turn as directed, but it acts like its gonna lift out, but it's like something is stopping it from coming out. I don't wanna force it and break it so I am hoping someone may have a suggestion or may know something else I need to do or if I need some special tool or what. I need my truck back on the road badly and it sounded like an easy possible fix. Can anyone offer any suggestions? And also if this is NOT the problem, what other things can I try. Yes I am a girl, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and can follow directions if told what to do. Please HELP!!! Thank you so much!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
Any ordinary force you might apply by pulling with your hands is not likely to break anything. Sometimes the shifter will stick in the lower bushing. Wiggle and pull.

Hope this fixes it, but..... Plese let us know.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 PM

I will try again in the morning. Thank you so much! Wasn't sure if there was a clip or something. It comes up a ways and then wont come out all the way out. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your time. I so appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:20 PM

any suggestions on how to get that fricking bushing back on the shifter?

i have lubed it up but that succer doesnt wanna go on
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM

and i have read to fill the tranny up with oil? whatr kind of oil and do i pour it in where shifter goes and can u put too much?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM

You need a service manual.

Yes you can put in too much gear oil. You can pour the gear oil into the top, but the correct level is to the bottom of the filler plug hole on the trannies side.

Go to autozone or your parts store of choice and get a Haynes, or Chiltons manual.

That bushing does go on very tight. It has to to work properly.

Sorry to say but it seems likely that your transmission has a larger mechanical fault that will require its removal from your truck.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:46 PM

You should be able to press the bushing by placing it on a clean surface on the ground and putting your weight down on the shifter, forcing the bushing onto the ball.