03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th gen. lift write-ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4th gen. lift write-ups

I know some of you have posted links to your write-ups in other posts, and some have added to those as per their own experiences, but I thought it would also be nice to have a thread dedicated specifically to our links/additions to those write-ups in case anyone in the future is looking for a few to help them out.

Last edited by r0cky; 08-29-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Daystar kit installation write up and pics

Here is my write up clicky

Enjoy, and let me know if anything is wrong, inaccurate or just stupid in the write up.

Happy lifting

EDIT: I updated the pics with links on the webpage to fullsize pics, so just click through.

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 05-03-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM

Alright,

So we finished the lift on Saturday. Biff and Goodtimes helped a lot. Things would not have gone so smoothly if it weren't for their help and experience. (THANKS A MILLION GUYS).

We started at 9am. We stopped at 12:30pm for lunch. Got back around 2:00 pm We had to run to Biff's house to use his vice to install the shock lower mount bushings (more later). Finished roughly at 3:30. Overall, it took us around 5 hours. I think if it wasn't for the run to Biff's place, we would've finished in 4 hours.

Since bulldog already had an excellent write-up. I'm just going to add some notes to the installation.

Front Installation:
When removing the sway bar, remember to not rest the end-link on the CV boots, I almost made this mistake and could've cost me a CV boot.

At first we didn't think that we needed to remove the tie-end rod, but after fussing with the front coli-over, it was just easier to pop the tie-end rod out with a pitman-arm puller.

Air tools is most ideal when working with spring compressor, if we didn't have one, we would be in pain.

The factory bottle jack is very important when re-installing the coilover with the new spacers installed.

Rear Installation:
Compressing the springs should be straightforward with the coil compressor (use air tools).

I found that the pitman arm puller (tie-end rod puller) made it easier to remove the rear shocks bottom mount. The puller will just pull the shocks out without having to pry and struggle with a crowbar.

I am very happy with the results. I did not think that the stock tires would look alright with the lift. Makes me consider getting a smaller set of tires than 285, but I do like them beefy 285 MTRS!!!

I will post some pics later.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
I know some of you have posted links to your write-ups in other posts, and some have added to those as per their own experiences, but I thought it would also be nice to have a thread dedicated specifically to our links/additions to those write-ups in case anyone in the future is looking for a few to help them out.

I will post a link to mine here once it is done as well.
great thread 4route, kudos. i am tired of jumping all over the place. maybe thread starters can post links to their particular 4th gen threads?

i am waiting (somewhat patiently) for downey's lift....
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ahriman
great thread 4route, kudos. i am tired of jumping all over the place. maybe thread starters can post links to their particular 4th gen threads?

i am waiting (somewhat patiently) for downey's lift....

I wouldn't hold my breath for Downey. According to Lance, our resident Downey expert he says that they would probably will take more than a few years for the coilovers to come out.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

well I wouldn't quite say a few years but I'd say months and months away. They have all the parts necessary for the coilover setup but due to the lack of manpower, they don't have the resources to build the kit. Everything has to be custom made due to the shock. Our 4th gen front shocks have an approx 3" extension on the bottom and that has to be built. The top plate has to ben milled as well so it does take some time.

Sway A Way should have something in the works too but I suspect, when either SAW or Downey releases something, they'll both follow eachother and release their own respective versions. I'd say it's safe to say atleast another 6 months? Kinda sux but what can we do.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

that is weird. i talked to downey a few weeks back (see post here), and they said then that the kit would be available in a few weeks -- basically now. i will call them again today from work if i remember and see what their story is now. so am i to suspect that they are dangling a carrot? doesn't billy have some of their coilovers?

Last edited by ahriman; 04-27-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

billy only has the rear coils as the rear suspension kit is available.

It comes complete with:
rear coils
stainless steel brake lines ( I think)
and I think an extension plate for parking brakes..

I know the coils are certain and I recall them talking about including lines for the brakes.

The front coilovers will take sometime. They're underpowered in their facility so it'll just have to wait.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

just got off the phone w/downey. they say that they are still waiting on bilstein for the shocks, and that they need to create the upper mounting plate. the mounting plate is not the holdup as this will be easy to fabricate, according to them, it is the shocks which are holding up the show. my guess is they need the shocks first in order to create a template for the mounting plate. i am starting to glance revtek's way...
Old 04-29-2004, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4route
Here is mine:

3" Revtek Lift
GREAT write-up!

I have a comment... All of the links in the IN PROGRESS section are pointing to HTML files, but there are none. The JPGs are there though...

e.g., http://box.ixolo.com/full/DSC00937.html vs. http://box.ixolo.com/full/DSC00937.jpg
Old 04-29-2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mark
Yeah, she's still working on the big pics links. They're coming.
Ahhh.. n/m then!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

midiwall ... I definitely want you guys to point out that kind of stuff so I can fix it, but in this one case, I am still working on that little part. They're linked to a .html page because I'm going to have the full size pic come up along with a short description of what is going on in the pic ... just to help people know a little more about those steps I've pictured.

But do let me know when you notice something like that, because it is a big help and I certainly do want to know when I've messed something up. In this case, I'm just bogged down with school stuff, but slowly I'm making progress.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 PM

Aye... sorry about that Ms... I figgered that you were done with the page.

Carry on!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Banned

No worries, Mark, I appreciate your mentioning it to me, I'm just slow.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

ok, here goes:
this is what i am thinking on a lift combo, at least until downey, or somebody, has a full coilover lift available for the 4th gens. #1: lance, billy and 4route thanx again for all your work in making this easy for the rest of us. since i am wanting to stuff 35s under my rig (and hopefully test fits will confirm), i will be following billy's lead and getting the rev-tek kit modified so i can get 4" in front. if i have followed the threads correctly, and your posts billy, you have somewhat minimal rubbing w/this setup. then in the rear, go w/what downey has to offer so far in coilover. i did not read anywhere that billy had to do any mods to the downey kit to get 35s to fit. as for shoes, seems like goodyear mt/rs cannot be beat (chime in anyone w/a different opinion on tires), and i like the black rims at wheeler's offroad. does that sound like a workable setup? any dissenters?

:::edit:::
when i say somewhat minimal rubbing, i mean w/trimming :pat:

Last edited by ahriman; 05-02-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Banned

hmm ... you don't want to go much higher than 4" because it will wear out your CVs prematurely ... I know that on previous gens., 3" was about as high as you could comfortably lift without trouble ... but since our 4th gens have a negative CV angle, you can get away with a little more ... nonetheless, just be careful not to go too high because you will run into early problems that way.

the wheels at wheeler's should be good ... I asked him if he thought they'd fit with the brake calipers and such, he said they should ... so you're probably good to go with those ...

just don't overdo the lifting and you'll be fine
Old 05-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

yep, i am depending on billy (no pressure!) w/the cv angle. he says that w/his current setup he is at around 10 degrees, and 15 is the max, however, i do not want to push that limit
Old 05-02-2004, 09:23 PM

How hard is it to bleed your brakes?

What do I need to do the job? Is it better to go have someone do it?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Why do you need to bleed your brakes?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ahriman
ok, here goes:
this is what i am thinking on a lift combo, at least until downey, or somebody, has a full coilover lift available for the 4th gens. #1: lance, billy and 4route thanx again for all your work in making this easy for the rest of us. since i am wanting to stuff 35s under my rig (and hopefully test fits will confirm), i will be following billy's lead and getting the rev-tek kit modified so i can get 4" in front. if i have followed the threads correctly, and your posts billy, you have somewhat minimal rubbing w/this setup. then in the rear, go w/what downey has to offer so far in coilover. i did not read anywhere that billy had to do any mods to the downey kit to get 35s to fit. as for shoes, seems like goodyear mt/rs cannot be beat (chime in anyone w/a different opinion on tires), and i like the black rims at wheeler's offroad. does that sound like a workable setup? any dissenters?

:::edit:::
when i say somewhat minimal rubbing, i mean w/trimming :pat:
Michael:

If you do plan to do any major offroading and use the mt/r's, expect severe rubbage. (different tires compared to Billy's A/T) Prior to me getting my front and rear bumper, I rubbed like there was no tomorrow in these following locations:

At 20psi:
Front bumper - must remove a good portion of the bumper.
Rear Bumper - even after mud flaps removed
front cladding - minimal
rear cladding - minimal

At 36psi:
front bumper (at full lock turn)

Now keep in mind that this is w/ 285/75/16 with 38.5"/38" (front/rear).

Now after the front and rear bumper mod (38"/38" - front/rear):
At 36 psi : no rubbing

At 20 psi:
some rubbing on rear but I have to figure out where. Just noticed it at miller jeep trail.

I figure w/ 35's that you plan to do, you will encounter alot more rubbing than what I have. And believe me I was pretty worried every time I rubbed expecting to see panels coming off lol. Anyway, I think you can go about 40" in the rear and about 39" just to be safe. Can't say exactly where the sweet spot is as the only way to really find out is by tearing boots like crazy. At that point you know that you've gone way too far.

As for the black wheels, not sure but you might want to ask what the spec's are on those wheels. Keep in mind that my wheels are 16x8, 0 offset, 4.5 backspacing. Figure if the specs are the same, you should be fine

GOod luck and don't forget photos when you're done!!

Quick Reply: 4th gen. lift write-ups