03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen 4runner Downey Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sschaefer3
Well there is really nothing you can do about it, as long as the boot around the ball is not coming in contact and it's only the back of the cast spindle pice like on the 3rd Gens you'll be fine.

If the actual boot from the joint is rubbing/hitting you got a problem.
I'll have to test it out tonight then

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by SEDONAZ

Their lift is a 2.5"/front and 1.75"/rear lift. Sounds like your's but I'm not sure. They say it will be more of "leveling" effect than others out there. Does this sound right to you?

Adam.
Boy that sounds fantastic Adam! You should start a new thread on XREAS lifts to keep things clean, can't wait to hear the details.
And 2.5/1.75 actually sounds perfect. The front does droop quite a bit more than the rear and it sounds like (from Lefty's experience) that less in the rear is good for stock shock travel.

Maybe you could tell SSchaefer's concerns on the bolt/top plate to Daystar. maybe they will revise/improve their spacers?

Lance, your truck looks awesome! Man, that thing looks like a total beast now! I guess no problems for you on hitting rocks!

Lefty, is your lift at 2.5/1.75? For some reason I thought your rear was at 2"...?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Good Times

I like the contrasty print. It makes it look gritty.
This is a really nice angle-would look good poster size!

Send it to Toyota to show them how a TRD 4R should look!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:45 PM

Lefty, is your lift at 2.5/1.75? For some reason I thought your rear was at 2"...?
Firsttoy, yep, that's right.... I got the spec right in front of me from when we put the lift on. Front is a little over 2.5" (actually is 2 5/8"), and the rear is 1.75 (actually 1 7/8"). But who is niggling over 1/8" ? This leveled the truck almost perfectly. When all was said and done, the front was still about 1/8" lower than the rear...

By the way, I've had a Daystar lift on this truck for almost 16K miles without a problem, so the "problems" with the lift are more cosmetic than functional.

Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 PM

FirstToy / Lefty,

If all goes well the XREAS will be rolling out of the shop, with the lift, early next week. They believe the biggest challange will be working around/with those pressurized lines in the front, but that they should be able to pull it off (not literally). I talked to them on Tuesday and should get the final go ahead tommorrow.

Needless to say, I'm excited and its long overdue. I'm not that up to speed with the technical know how of the mechanics involved but the lift should be fine for my day to day applications.

Sschaefer,

Where have you been the last couple of months when the rest of us, (those so fortunate to have the XREAS curse) have been struggling with what to do? It sounds like you are sure a spacer-based lift will work no problem. Why the concern from everyone else?

Are there other options for us with this "closed system" suspension? Can we combine the spacers, Daystar or RevTek, with the Downey coils for the rear as did Lance? I checked your web-sites out too, do you have other options?

Adam
Old 01-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Really the only option you have with the Xres is the spacers. You need to retain the stock shock and actually if Daystar does the 50-50 split spacer your final assembly will be the same length as the Downey coil over Lance has.

Years ago I started with a spacer lift, then I ran Coil Overs for a year and a half, now I have once again returned to spacers up front with the stock Toyota coils. I can got more articulation out of spacrs and the stock springs.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 PM

I'm gonna give'm a try and see what happens. As it stands now, I could never run down the hill to your neck of the woods via backroads with out banging rocks the whole way.

I saw one of your pictures of you in the Land Cruiser crossing the Verde. One of my favorite drives is from Camp Verde down river to Cave Creek. The way the new 4runners sit now, I'd get hung up there much less at Sheep's Bridge or Childs Crossing.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Where have you been the last couple of months when the rest of us, (those so fortunate to have the XREAS curse) have been struggling with what to do? It sounds like you are sure a spacer-based lift will work no problem. Why the concern from everyone else?

Are there other options for us with this "closed system" suspension? Can we combine the spacers, Daystar or RevTek, with the Downey coils for the rear as did Lance? I checked your web-sites out too, do you have other options?

Adam
Adam:

The spacer lift works w/ the XREAS ( which I am pretty confident ). The biggest problem is the front shock assembly where the pressurized lines are located. The spacer requires you to remove the shock and coil to install it (just easier when it's not sitting in the front suspension housing), so trying to install the spacer while the shock is still in it's place will prove to be difficult. It is not impossible by any standard but it will take alot of patience and alot of knowledge to be able to install the spacer w/o damaging the pressurized lines. Therefore the fronts are a pain in the rear to do.

The rear is easy. All you have to do is disconnec the bottom and install the spacer. the xreas line has more give and take in the rear so the install should be relatively easy.

Combining the rear coils that I have and the spacer won't be a good idea as your stock shock travel is too limited. You can have one or the other but not both. If you want both, you're going have to get longer shocks. Also I'm getting both because I'll be adding a steel bumper in the back which will definitely weigh down so I'll need to lift the rear up again to compensate the weight.

Since you have the closed system, you really can't do much. The spacer lift is the best bet. You can only lift soo much b4 you limit your shock travel.

Hope this all makes sense
Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 PM

Lance,

10-4.

Speaking of new bumpers, any word on your bumper project?

I saw those new ones from Safari Guards(?) or something, on the Global Extreme 4runner. They looked a little light to me and definitely over priced.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be dropping off the truck on next wed. At that point Jason will work on the front and rear. I've given him lots of time to work on it so hopefully I"ll have some awesome pictures to show ya guys soon
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Sounds great.

The last round of pics you left looked sweet. The 4runner looks better and better! Good luck with the bumber addition.

I also just heard from 02Runner and he should have his pics up in the next day. He got his lift up and working on his XREAS too.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

I saw one of your pictures of you in the Land Cruiser crossing the Verde. One of my favorite drives is from Camp Verde down river to Cave Creek. The way the new 4runners sit now, I'd get hung up there much less at Sheep's Bridge or Childs Crossing.
I would like to run that trail some time, let me know and I'll bring the gang up from Phoenix.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:46 PM

I was thinking, if they had some makeshift temporary limit strap so that you could not accidentally yank the XREAS line off the shock, that might make things easier.

I guess all the troubles with XREAS was that it was just a big unknown and sounded difficult.
Now it sounds like things might work out!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

Holy Crap Batman,

Your truck looks awesome Lance. That is the best body color and wheel combo I've seen. Nice work. I am anxious to see Jason's work on the bumper(s).

As far as the XREAS, the Rev-Tek works just fine. I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

First Toy: I think the idea of using a limiting strap to keep the XREAS line attached when trying to lift it would hamper your efforts. You need absolutely 100% of the wiggle space you can get to remove the strut with the XREAS in place. Just have to be gentle on the line itself.

While on jackstands and once all of the other BS is out of the way and disconnected you can stand or use a pry bar to press the out edge of the control arms down. This will give you enough space to slide the lower portion out and thus the top without breaking your line. Same idea is used on the back too.

Mine next to a non-lifted Runner

Doug M.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:04 AM

Yee Haw! Nice work Doug.

The first lifted XREAS is a winner!

What tires and wheels did you op for?
Old 01-30-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Doug!

I envy your white w/ the black shoes!!! Damn you!!!!

Looks very very very clean I"m glad the RevTek's worked. You can definitely tell the difference comparing the two 4runners too! Sweet

Btw, final measurements from bottom to fender?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 AM

Looking real sweet Lance.

-Serge
Old 02-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

lance that's awesome!!! i wish you coulda come to HV with us. anyway, i'll talk to you some time later on. i got your phone number. see you guys soon
Old 04-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

anybody bought a downey lift?

so there have been no posts here for a couple months, at the risk of beating a dead forum...

has anyone bought a production version of the downey lift? i will be giving them a ring tomorrow -- finally got the money together to buy one. also, has anyone done the install themselves?

lance- where are those pics of that snazzy new bumper you promised the thread? also, awesome trail shot coming over that stone ridge!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Banned

michael - a lot of us have done / are doing the spacer lifts ourselves ... I'm not sure how much harder the downey would be ...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

called downey today to get an update on their 4th gen lift, and here is what i found out:

basically, what lance has posted about what the kit contains is still true but w/updates. this is what they are going to be putting in the front kit:
-coilovers
-bilstein shocks

and as per lance (w/a slight modification), the rear will contain:
- coilovers
- 12" Stainless Steel Brake Lines (two - for each wheel)
- 4" Extension plate for the ABS Brake Lines.
the shocks (according to the tech probably Doetsch Tech) for the rear kit will be extra

the kits should be available in about three weeks -- they are waiting on bilstein to complete their order. we are getting closer...