03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen 4Runner X-Reas lift options/roundup

Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SAINT_B
I am running OME med springs front and rear (w/XREAS), stock wheels, wheel spacers, trxus mt 33x12.5x17. No issues at all so far.
This sounds like the best option for XREAS so far. It is good to hear there are no issues using the OME springs with stock shocks. This lets you add the stiffer (or longer?) springs to accomodate added armour, without losing the benefits of XREAS. But I wonder how the stock shocks will hold up in the long run if they are not matched to new springs (ARB say to only use them with their OME shocks). I guess if issues arise, you can always get the OME shocks, and you haven't lost out.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM

anyone measured the dimensions?

New guy here, just got my first Toy a month ago (love it!!!) 03 4R SE with XREAS. Just put some 32s on (already looks and rides better) and want to get my clearance up to more like the 3rd-gen 4Rs. I've been reading threads for awhile on using spacer kits to keep the XREAS (I still like it and the wife won't let me spend 2k + to lift with a rancho system).

Anyway, I bought a Truxx leveling kit-3.5" front 1.25" rear. The spacers themselves are around 1.75" (front) and 1.25" (rear) in terms of the amount of metal. The installation instructions suck, so I looked for some advice on putting it in and found this thread:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...lifts-are-bad/

The long and the short is that the spacer kits should work without speeding damage to other suspension components, as long as the dimensions of the control arms and shock + spacer assembly are compatable across the full range of of the suspension. Otherwise you stand to blast your ball joints every 10k or less. I gathered from that thread that the 1st gen Tundras don't have the right dimensions for spacers to work, but the 2nd gen ones do. Well, this is a 4R, not a Tundra, and we're not talking leafs on the back either. Now all I know is I could run into serious issues at mileages over and above what I see most people report on these threads, but maybe I won't...

Anyone here know if the dimensions of the 4th gen 4Rs are conducive to adding a 2" block of steel to the strut tower? I have to admit, I don't have the tools to do this myself, and I'm not entirely confident that I'd know I was measuring the right things. I'd like to use my spacers and keep my XREAS, but those Tundra guys have me scared to death I'll be spending 1K on ball joints every tire rotation.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

J
Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Ranger J,
i just installed the daystar 2.5/1.5 lift kit on me 05 SE and i couldn't be happier and the ride is just as good, the xreas is relatively unaffected (except for the possibility of losing a bit of travel). its cheap and fairly easy to do. Im running on 255/75/17 BFG MT's (32" x 10") i ramped the truck on a wall at my buddys house stuffing the front left wheel all the way up and at full left turn and maintained 3/4" of clearance between the tire and the mudlap/fender. good bang for the buck.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SAINT_B
I am running OME med springs front and rear (w/XREAS), stock wheels, wheel spacers, trxus mt 33x12.5x17. No issues at all so far.
Really thats amazing. how much lift did those springs provide.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Quint,

Any indication that your ball joints bind at all at full compression or extension? That's what I'm really concerned with...its the kind of thing you won't notice early on, but will cost an arm and a leg further down the road. Apparently it's the full extension that is the most notorious since the extra length of the strut tower forces the control arm down further than usual.

Taken is 'roading at all? How's she ride?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Ranger J,

Just did the kit two weeks ago, have not really had it out on a real trail yet, still waiting on some shrockworks sliders and a budbuilt skid before i get real serious, that exhaust crossover behind the factory flop plate makes me nervous. once i do ill update with some pictures.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:05 PM

im a noob

and want 2 lift my 4th gen sr5 2wd with spacers. i want either daystar or revtec lift.or a cheaper one(im poor) but for some reason i dont like the look of the 4 runner level. i like the front a little taller than the rear..idk maybe its cause im in socal and thats how we do it out here.. baja style i geuss.. i love how it looks taller in the front so could i get 3 inch in the front and maybe 1 more inch in the back? i cant find it anywhare.. i keep finding leveling kits but i want it larger in the front. could some one help me?

and could i fit 23's-33's mud terrains with out rub on the stock wheels?

im shure u guys will tell me 2 look it up my self..but i honestly cant find anything.

oh and ive installed shocks and coilovers in many many cars. not trucks but cars.. im too broke 2 take it 2 the shop so is it easy it do it yourself. i have tons of buddies who work on cars 4 a living with all the tools and crap.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 AM

seanmurray90,

I havent used them personally but check out Burtmanindustries.com. from what i hear the guy there jason will make a spacer to provide any lift you would like (within reason i guess). his prices are comparable to both daystar and revtek
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM

thanks quint.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger_J
Quint,

Any indication that your ball joints bind at all at full compression or extension? That's what I'm really concerned with...its the kind of thing you won't notice early on, but will cost an arm and a leg further down the road. Apparently it's the full extension that is the most notorious since the extra length of the strut tower forces the control arm down further than usual.

Taken is 'roading at all? How's she ride?

Ranger J,

Just got my truck out yesterday to a bunch of rough trails in the mountains by my home, these trails are usually run by jeeps exclusively and let me tell you the truck handled beautifuly i noticed no trouble with the ball joints and had it fully flexed on numerous occaisions, with a bunch of three wheeling. i'll update soon with some pics. the 4wd with the center locker worked flawlessly getting the truck up 40 degree slopes that were loose 3-4" stones. also i dropped the truck on a huge boulder and high centered it on my budbuilt skid, the skid plate held the weight of my truck with minimal bending, that skid was worth every penny and i highly recommend it.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Quint,

I remember reading on another forums somewhere where a guy with the Daystar spacer (the new top out only one) that when the wheel lifted off the ground the upper control arm would hit the coil. Have you noticed this? Those Bud Builts sound awesome - wish I could afford them.

Last edited by Will_4R; 04-30-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Will_4R
Quint,

I remember reading on another forums somewhere where a guy with the Daystar spacer (the new top out only one) that when the wheel lifted off the ground the upper control arm would hit the coil. Have you noticed this? Those Bud Builts sound awesome - wish I could afford them.

I Am going to snap some pics of the front suspension with a tire off the ground when i get home later. I will post them later today. That should help answer Ranger J's question about the ball joints as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 AM

Alright i jacked a tire off the ground yesterday to take a look and heres what i saw.

1. the upper control arm does not hit the spring when it is fully dropped BUT it is real close to doing so maybe 1/2" away.
2. the ball joints did not seem to bind but again, real close.
3. the cv Joints are at a pretty extreme angle, is that bad?

Now my question is would a diff drop kit lessen the angle of the CV joints while at full extension, also wouldn't any basic lift kit (spacers, OME, or coilovers) have the same effect on the control arms and the ball joints?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quint
Alright i jacked a tire off the ground yesterday to take a look and heres what i saw.

1. the upper control arm does not hit the spring when it is fully dropped BUT it is real close to doing so maybe 1/2" away.
2. the ball joints did not seem to bind but again, real close.
3. the cv Joints are at a pretty extreme angle, is that bad?

Now my question is would a diff drop kit lessen the angle of the CV joints while at full extension, also wouldn't any basic lift kit (spacers, OME, or coilovers) have the same effect on the control arms and the ball joints?
I was wondering the exact same thing, I want to put the daystar comfort ride 2.5/1.5 lift in but I've read about problems with the control arm hitting the spring (which looks like it's ok, thanks Quint), the ball joints going bad quickly, and killing your CV joints.

I've seen some people doing a diff drop to decrease the CV joint angles, is this the way to go? Has anyone not had a problem with their lift and increased CV joint angles after running the lift for a while and/or on a daily driver?

Last edited by olafman1; 10-03-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Hey fellas, I'm completely new to this forum and have my '03 4Run v8 and have been considering spacers. I have talked to several people about doin this and they have all said that it was a bad idea to mess with the stock ride height on these cause it can cause excessive wear on u joints and possibly even differential probs. Do yall have any suggestions. Iam trying to bring it up maybe 2.5 front and 2 rear? Have stock 265 65 17 and am putting 255 75 17 on today cause theyre almost brandnew and buddy blessed me with them but id like to set up to put something more substantial on a few months down the road. I thought tires would be last and I'd setup the suspension first. Id appreciate any comments. And I hope I havent been redundent (sp?). Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 PM

Possible alternative to spacer lift???

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread and am in the market for a 4th gen 4runner. I thought I wanted a 2006 sport edition but have been reading my options for lifting it are limited. A dealer just sent me a link to a lift for the xreas suspension and I wanted to get some real 4runner's opinions on it. It's called Rough County Suspension Lift Kit.

Here's the link: http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-s...t-kit-761.html
Please tell me what you think of it or if I should just get a limited or sr5 and put a toytech 3" lift kit on it instead.

Thanks!