03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen 4Runner X-Reas lift options/roundup

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Well put Lance. Depending on what you want a spacer lift can be a good solution for you.

Another way of looking at XREAS is this. It cost $400 or so more when you bought the 4R. I have had it for almost 2.5 years now. So it works out at $13 a month extra if I remove it right now. Money well spend if you ask me. Maybe that will help with the psychological barrier of removing them You already got your monies worth out of it.
also with the Sport Edition you got bigger brakes = better stopping as well. Hard to put a value on that benefit, IMO.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
also with the Sport Edition you got bigger brakes = better stopping as well. Hard to put a value on that benefit, IMO.
I was just referring to the case that XREAS is an $400 or so option on LTDs. The whole SR5, SE and LTD packages has a lot more thna just an option, but I doubt the XREAS alone was more than $400 on the SE over the SR5. Just an observation that although XREAS is expensive to replace it wasn't that expensive to begin with
Old 03-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

some of us have no choice but to remove it though. that or pay $1200-$1500 to have it replaced.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
the catch is guys:

spacer are good for the application of giving you lift. a lot of people run this with no ill effects to their vehicles. the wearing of the shocks is no different than one w/o the spacers themselves.

you guys have to realize that wear and tear on any component is normal and if you do any offroading, it will wear and tear much faster. It's just physics...
Spacers won't cause extra wear on the road?

Posted by RXvedub
"A top seal would go bad if the shaft was not traveling center to the intended engineered design."

This implies a lift will cause wear and tear much fast, all the time. Not just offroad. I'm not in the suspension business, so I don't know if it is factual.

It is common sense any modified suspension won't last as long as stock, on or offroad. I think some people would like to know how long? Don't go with spacers because they are cheap, and not have the $$ to fix problems later. From what we've seen, the x-reas is not cheap to fix.

Like bulldog-yota pointed out, the x-reas only added about $400 to my purchase. Spacers work. If the x-reas is leaking after 50-60k, I'll replace it with coilovers and move on. Or just buy coilovers to start with. If NE keeps selling stuff, seems like there might be a market for used x-reas systems.

Last edited by Bluto; 03-11-2005 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

I think RX was refering to the shaft angle of shocks rather than just the operating length.

I put in the spacer lift as a stop gap solution till better alternatives were abvailible. This year we are starting to see a good number coming out and I think we will see even more later this year/next year.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bluto
"A top seal would go bad if the shaft was not traveling center to the intended engineered design."

This implies a lift will cause wear and tear much fast, all the time. Not just offroad. I'm not in the suspension business, so I don't know if it is factual.

It is common sense any modified suspension won't last as long as stock, on or offroad. I think some people would like to know how long? Don't go with spacers because they are cheap, and not have the $$ to fix problems later. From what we've seen, the x-reas is not cheap to fix.
Bluto, if you take a quick look at the spacer that gets installed in the suspension, you will notice that the geometry will not change. the bolting points of the top and bottom are still at the same location thus all the spacer does is push down on the shock and coil. this just means less travel and the spacer is partially extending the entire system. therefore, the system will still travel along the center and will have no problems in that sense. changing the mounting location will result in the failure of the component unless you properly remount the points accordingly. (this is where NE failed on their reloc setup). keep in mind that wear and tear w/ and w/o the spacer will be virtually the same as all the spacer does is literally push the entire system down a few inches and limit the uptravel it has due to the spacer. Theoretically speaking, the xreas should never leak since it's a closed system. Unless you kink the line(s) or do direct harm to the system, it should last a lifetime.

I have seen numerous spacer lifts with no ill effect so I'm basing my opinions on other vehicles with the similar setup (xreas or not). I would say that most people that just want a simple lift will be very happy with a spacer setup. Those that really want to offroad on a higher level will want to invest in a better suspension setup. If you want to play hard, you'll want to invest in the propert equipment.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:15 AM

2004 4Runner Sport with NE 4/3 Relocs

I've installed the NE 4/3 kit with the relocs on my '04 4Runner a month ago. I've driven just over a 1000 miles on it with no problems yet. Though I am new to this forum, and any forum for that matter, I thought I would go ahead and give my experience with NE. There is definitely a lot of negative discussion, but I have only had positive contact and assistance from them. The only odd sounds I've ever heard when driving have been driving over speed bumps at high rates of speed and there is definitely a compression sound of sorts, but I also heard it prior to the install. The hardest part I had with the install was dealing with the spring compressors and the XREAS lines, but I also anticipated the fact that they were teathered and would give some difficulty but I accomplished my goal. I've looked underneath for any oil leaks that have occurred with other people from what I have heard and have not seen anything. In my opinion/experience, the kit is working perfectly. I have noticed one fact though, the only people whom typically use these web forums are those whom are having troubles, usually those whom are have no problems, don't spend the time to look into all this and to write so much. It does seem a bit a like a gossip forum but there is interesting topics discussed. It would be nice to have people whom are having good times and good results from products post their feedback results on the web, but most people won't find that motivation unless there is trouble. There has got to be a ton of people out there with no problems and are not posting their opinions on these forums. There is definitely a lot of negative feelings from what I have seen.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

AZ4, I completely disagree with you. There are plenty of people who posted positive responses on products. Do a search and see for yourself. Look under Revtek and Daystar with 4th Gens.

Also go read the NE customer feedback thread and see some of the practices NE deployed on a lot of these forums.

So I find it interesting that this is your first post here.

WHy dont you start a positive thread then, with lots of pics of your rig? And I assume you are in AZ where there are lots of good wheeling. SO why dont you post lots of good wheeling pics and video? Look under trip reports under my screenname and you will see what I mean.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome aboard az4runner. If you search thru the entire forum, you will notice many ppl voice both praise and hatred of all products. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of positive experiences of NE from customers, one of which being you but the unforatunate side of the reality is that there is a large volumn of customers that feel otherwise.

If you could take the time to read thru the numerous posts thru-out this forum, you will quickly learn that we are all here to share our experiences on products we use. Whether it's a positive or negative experience, people will post about it so others can learn from the experiences and make better decisions when they mod their vehicle.

That said, I would highly recommend that you remove the reloc as it has been known to cause damage to the system itself. If you do not wish to listen to my recommendations then that is your decision as none of us here will force anyone to make the decisions. We just try to help eachother prevent others from making the wrong decisions.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:42 AM

Sounds good. Will do. Your comment of you finding it interesting that it was my first post, sounds like you are paranoid and suspicious. I was being honest in my first post. I've never posted a thread before. Never that interested. Anyways, I've got some pictures of my truck I'll post when I get a chance. I'm not trying to take sides with anyone, so don't take my comments personnally. GOD that sounds funny. I was under the assumption that this was a general discussion board not a "gossip" or a "attacking" forum. In either case, I am stilling driving it and flexing it. I just thought I would put in my two cents into the forum and maybe I'll follow these things a little more often. I was just saying that "I" have not had any problems. Take it as you will. If I do have problems in the future, I have nothing invested in that will prevent me or motivate not to discuss them. Actually, if there are problems, like the rest of you apparently have or have heard, I will definitely be motivated to discuss them. Like I said, it seems to me, most people use these threads for help with problems and those whom seem to have problems, on the other hand, people like myself, who are involved with such products tend to not spend the time like I have to tell tales of my lack of problems but rather good times. Anyway, I will keep you posted if I have any problems and I will post pictures when I get a chance...maybe this weekend. Let me know if you want any particular shots of the truck, reasonable ones that is. hehe (Not planning on jumping it or flexing it to the nth degree)
Old 03-11-2005, 11:44 AM

By the way, I just checked out your rig. It looks awesome. Where did you get the front grill guard?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Az4runner,

Be warned that visiting this forum will result in you wasting alot of your hard earned cash on additional mods!

The more you frequent these types of forum, you will quickly learn that all we strive to do is help educate new members/owners more about their vehicle. Whether it is maintenance related or even aftermarket related (suspension,armor,audio, etc etc the list goes on forever). We all share the same love and just want to share our experiences

I do hope that you visit us regularly and join our family! That said, you should first start a new thread when you are ready to show off your 4runner! Photos are greatly appreciated as we're just abunch of kids that don't like to read much but drool at photos
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Az4Runner
By the way, I just checked out your rig. It looks awesome. Where did you get the front grill guard?
If you are referencing this to me, everything I have is a one off deal (custom). Hopefully others will be interested and maybe then will there be a production version. But until then it's just another custom mod.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

AZ, I'm not paranoid or suspicious by any means. I'm just tired of AK and his buddies jumping on specific threads to try and make a point (and using pseudo usernames). I dont know you, so I can't make that call. But that is hardly the point of this thread nor this forum. That is the reason I pointed you to the customer feedback section.

Good for you if you have a positive experience. Lots of people on these threads have had positive experiences with products and speak up about it. The flip side is also true.

We all are fantatics, so we love for new guys to post pics of their trucks and also do some "web wheeling". I.e. post some pics of places you have been and action shots of the 4Runner. See the Moab trip reports and you will see what I mean.

SO now back to topic of XREAS lift options.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM

How do you upload photos onto the forum?
Old 03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

those re-locs make me shudder. people are going to start getting really pissed when they run them and a few months later find that their XREAS is blown ... but all we can do is present our experiences and hope people will do their research before running a part that has been proven to wreck the rear shock bushings and in some cases, the entire XREAS system.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Az4Runner
How do you upload photos onto the forum?
When you post a reply you can attach the picture by clicking on the "Manage Attachments" button. This is good for a few pics. But the best way is to host your pics on a website like cardomain or something and then just link picture to your post by clicking on the image icon.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
I think RX was refering to the shaft angle of shocks rather than just the operating length.
BD and GT, thanks for clearing up my confusion, yet again. I interpreted RX's post the wrong way.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:46 AM

4th Generation Grill Guard & Wench

Does anyone know who offers a grill guard that that can support a winch for the 4th Generation 4Runners? I am lookin to get one if possible within the next week and a half. There are plenty of "asthetic" grill guards but I was hoping ARB would offer one but I have yet to find one. If anyone's got some insight into this, let me know.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all you Nitrous Enterprises fans, join the Nitrous Enterprises fan club over at http://www.buyerbeware.ws for one heck of a good time and to keep up with all things Nitrous Enterprises.

BTW, I'm cross-posting this here because I figure that most people have given up on the 31-page NE Thread of Death by now.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen 4Runner X-Reas lift options/roundup