Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Yet again, Another Rear Window Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Yet again, Another Rear Window Thread...

Ok, So here's my situation. Bought a CB radio tail gate mount... cant get inside the tailgate without the window being rolled down ( obviously ) So. I go out to use my key on the gate, Doesn't work. so usually my back up plan is to fiddle with the inside switch, doesn't work. USUALLY this thing has a mind of its own and takes a quick minute to function. but its not budging.

Now... I can hear the motor working, also when I use the switch or the key it makes CLICK noise and then stops. So what could it be? would buying a new motor fix this? if it could be that simple, that'd be great. by the way, i've read that the rear wind shield wiper motor has something to do with this? neither motors work. so lemme know what I can do to fix this and get my CB radio antenna mounted
Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you can hear the motor, but the window isn't moving, you most likely stripped the teeth on the regulator. you should be able to shove the glass down, but sometimes when a regulator fails, the scissor of it kinda tweaks, and a bolt can hang up on something keeping it from moving.

that said, sometimes a bolt starts to back out, and stops the regulator from moving, causing the teeth to strip in one spot.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should mount your cb whip on the fender.

Mine isnt been working either tho. I can hear a click when i push the button up but nothing when i try and lower it fromt he button in the cab. My key only lets it go up not down. Ive messed with my wiper to make sure its up but nothing.

I used to be able to take the whole button out and wiggle the wires connected to it, might try that.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my rear window will do that sometimes.... i just gotta get out and try to pull the window down. just put ur hands flat on it and push it down

mine makes a click and the window wont move.... idk whats wrong with it but every once in a while it gets off track.

jus break that winder and put up a screen
Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM

my window stopped altoghether , so i bought a new used tailgate . and mounted my cb ant. to my bumper
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM

I went through these problems last month, what a freaking over wired rear window nightmare (makes you just want to mount a double pole double throw toggle switch in that sucker and be done with it)

But if you guy's have not seen this write up: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml you should take a look at it, I used his info to troubleshoot mine and ended up changing a relay in the board.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Well my window finally rolled down, I sat there and wiggled the key back and forth and then it eventually rolled down. I tried pushing down on it, it doesn't budge what so ever... it just..."shorting out" or being stubborn. it seriously only works when it wants to... is that a sign of the motor going out?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Likely the relays in the control box, if you had something "shorting out", there would be blown fuses/circuit breakers:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml
Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Okay so I got the window to work. after 5 minutes of fiddling with it, it rolled down. after I was done working on it, i rolled it up. but now It wont roll down what so ever and i've been messing with it for half an hour now. can someone, in a simplified form, tell me how to roll the window down? I tried getting to the motor and such, but apparently you cant do that unless the gate is down? so uhhh... how's this gonna work?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Simplest way I know is to crawl into the back and hot wire the motor, remove carpet and metal plate (if not already off of door) find the window motor wire plug (should be right next to the motor, red and green wire I believe) unplug it, and ON THE MOTOR SIDE of the plug apply 12 volt pos. to the green and ground the red side to some metal on the door, if it tries to go up reveres your two hot wires and it should go down.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM

You might be able to do this using your battery charger to jump the motor?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I got it down... but then the window wouldn't go all the way down? so it wouldn't unlock? so after throwing a fit. i took apart the tail gate, and manually pushed the window down... ( im gonna buy a new motor at Pick N pull on sunday to see if that fixes it... I dont even think its the motor making the noise. its off to the left of the tail gate if Im standing, facing the tail gate. it just makes 1 click and stops.... window doesnt move... is that the relay or the motor?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM

hoping you figure something out, this just started happening to me at the worst possible time.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I got it down... but then the window wouldn't go all the way down? so it wouldn't unlock? so after throwing a fit. i took apart the tail gate, and manually pushed the window down... ( im gonna buy a new motor at Pick N pull on sunday to see if that fixes it... I dont even think its the motor making the noise. its off to the left of the tail gate if Im standing, facing the tail gate. it just makes 1 click and stops.... window doesnt move... is that the relay or the motor?
Relays click, motors "whir".
Old 11-12-2009, 12:42 PM

hey 4crawler, which breaker/fuse goes to the rear window? my manual is missing that page.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM

yeah i've established that it isn't the motor... its the relay... the motor rolls the window up and down just fine. the relay ( off to the left of the tail gate ) just clicks... if i sit there for 10-50 minutes and turn the key it'll eventually roll down.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of the rear window,mine works perfect but is it normal to roll up slower than the rest of the windows?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM

I just got back inside from jumping my window motor. The key would only roll it down sometimes and the button on the inside just made the click sound in the driver side rear quater panel. Which after reading that article http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#MotorTest it tells me its the relay things. And for the price of those im willing to give it a try.

I had to give it a couple of shots to get it to roll all the way up though. It seems to slow down about 3/4 of the way up.

Last edited by austinmacry; 11-12-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JShaffer0525
hey 4crawler, which breaker/fuse goes to the rear window? my manual is missing that page.
I assume it is the same as used for the power windows, up front, driver's side kick panel:

The yellow thing:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#PowerWindows
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Speaking of the rear window,mine works perfect but is it normal to roll up slower than the rest of the windows?
Probably somewhat normal, if you consider the motor for the rear window is the same as the door windows and that window is a heck of a lot bigger/heavier and has a lot more friction and mechanism to it. But you could check the voltage at the motor going up and going down and if you find the "up" voltage is greatly reduced, it may be the "up" relay in the box has dirty contacts and is causing too much voltage drop to the motor.

Quick Reply: Yet again, Another Rear Window Thread...