86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wiring Harness Question - Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Harness Question - Manual vs Auto

I'm planning on replacing the fragile wiring harness in my 92. Is there a difference in harnesses between manual and automatic transmission candidates?

I have alot of wiring diagrams but I haven't seen enough evidence to know for sure.

Clutch Start Switch - manual

Park / Neutral Switch - auto

Any words of wisdom on this?

Thanks as always.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am more familiar with the previous generation of trucks but they are similar in ways. For the most part, and automatic truck will not have a Starter Relay. The automatics have a control box under the shifter cover. Just with my experience, I would stay with the wiring your truck came with unless you really understand wiring diagrams and can wire it to work.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If I recall right different ECU which means different plugs that would be the major difference .on the engine harness

Just which harness are you planning to replace??

Just how bad is yours??
Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The manual and auto use two different ECU's and harnesses. The only way to get it to work would be to re-pin the ECU plugs in the proper order, and add any missing wiring.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
... I would stay with the wiring your truck came with unless you really understand wiring diagrams and can wire it to work.
THIS^^^

Getting a harness, unless it's brand-new would just give you headaches, maybe different from what you're having now.
I recommend that you just thoroughly inspect your stock harness for chafed insulation, corroded crimps, etc. Felllow members can help with locations of those crimps.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 PM

As always, gracias to the great vets on Yota. =)

I'll wait and retrieve one from a manual. No, I am having minor issues but I'm just hedging against future need. Better to have backup than not.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:41 AM

I've probably seen 15 trucks with my year and engine/trans specs and none of them use my specific ECU.

As was suggested above, I am hedging now because I will have this truck until I am dead. I want every part I can imagine as backup.

Can I acquire a wire harness with ECU out of a truck that doesn't match my current ECU and harness but has the same engine/trans/accessories? Will it work? I understand that there are different wiring concerns under the hood.

Thanks in advance.

/\\/\/\ Went to Toy Connection in Santa Clara this morning and this guy has it all if you are looking for parts /\/\/\/\

* except my damned wiring harness** =D
Old 02-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Red face

You can do that but then you still need to wire the cab harness into what ever ECU you end up using
Old 02-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Remember that even the harnesses and accessories changed during the various years! My 4runner had a motor from a 92 in it, but on the factory wiring harness it used an plug for the alternator that toyota said they didn't start using until 94. So, be aware.

personally, easier and cheaper to invest in bulk wiring and do repairs to the factory harness as needed.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
From my experience, each harness will vary just due to which option you have such as with or without cruise control, rear heater, ect... To get the exact harness, you need to find out the part number from your main harness. You will need to remove your cluster gauge to get access to the harness part number. It will be above the steering column. your other harness will have a tag with a part number on it. Here is what the tag will look like. If you can find a main harness with exact number as yours, the others harness part number will be sure to match such as Injector Harness, Tail light harness,

As far as the ECU I think the difference will be if it is an Automatic or Manual transmission and if it is a 22 or a 3.0,

Here is what the tag will look like.
Name:  wireharness1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  56.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-05-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 AM

Red face

I would bet in this part of the world those tags are long gone
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Terry, An easier to access tag is located in the left hand kick panel is that part of the body harness?

Seems to me the engine harness is the most deteriorated, the others are less fragile.

Dont forget in 92 there were vehicles supplied from the California assembly plant as well as from Japan. Also you need to match the build batch (production date) which would account for a lot of variation in part numbers.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
..clipped
As far as the ECU I think the difference will be if it is an Automatic or Manual transmission and if it is a 22 or a 3.0,

Here is what the tag will look like.
And (as seen above) 4wd vs 2wd
Old 02-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
Remember that even the harnesses and accessories changed during the various years! My 4runner had a motor from a 92 in it, but on the factory wiring harness it used an plug for the alternator that toyota said they didn't start using until 94. So, be aware.

personally, easier and cheaper to invest in bulk wiring and do repairs to the factory harness as needed.
I'm not an electrical novice. Not even an amateur. Been 32 years since I built a car (1973 Cuda - 1/2" cam, A/T conversion to Pistol Grip 4spd,, 3,000lb pressure plate, stainless linkage so it wouldn't bend, scattershield, blah blah blah).

But I have been mulling the idea of building my own harness since I started this rebuild. I have every tool known to mankind at my disposal but I'm trying to not become a T4R electrical genius if I can help it, you know? lol

Oh well ... all I know is that wyoming has been coaxing me to just shut up and fix it since the first post I made, but I'm too old to worry about wiring and want to have this truck brand new when I am actually done.

Once i create the form board for the harness, I will display it.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by rustypigeon
The manual and auto use two different ECU's and harnesses. The only way to get it to work would be to re-pin the ECU plugs in the proper order, and add any missing wiring.

Something not right about this diagram.

Mine is 1992 V6 5speed and I have the "4WD A/T" harness and ECU (26-16-22).

Zoinks!

But I found a replacement and am planning on doing a few things:

1. Replicate it. That's right. I will see how it goes but if I can find a source for connectors, I will be reproducing harnesses for Gen 1/2/3. Along way from that but I'm studying it.

2. Toy Connection. This guy is a source for everything.

3. I'll be replacing every relay and/or module with new when I do the switch.

Thanks wyoming first and foremost.

Last edited by kapeket; 03-09-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:01 AM

Red face

That is just the thing when people post on here at first we have no idea of your skill level .

You could be in the wire nuts and scotch-lok connectors

Then you might design and build complex manufacturing equipment .

The thing with these Toyota`s unless it was yours since it was born no telling what your going to find

In any case good luck with your project.

Not really sure just what I said that helped but your Welcome