86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's causes this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's causes this?

installed cv axles 91 4runner and the outer joint ring bangs against the inside of the hub we're the shaft goes in. Mines sounds just like this this video. I can't figure it out. Whys the play in the shaft going thru the hub washer, snap ring and axle but are all on there. But it's not pulling tight enough against the inside of the wheel. This is my 2nd set I returned the first axles cuz I thought that was the problem but these ones do it to. So any thought would help??
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You do have the axle fully seated on the differential side??

Just what brand CV axles did you get.

Did you match them with the ones you removed.

In this day so many parts are boxed wrong you need to inspect things real careful .

I remember some years had two different length axles not just the difference between ADD and locking hubs
Old 03-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The diff. Side connects to the tulip. And the bolts are tights. This is my second set of cvs from auto-zone. The first set did the same thing but it's the old part they have listed for my runner. It's like the stub shaft that goes thru the hub is a tiny bit to long. If I remember right it's the wheel bearings with a big outer nut the cv goes thru then the splined washer sits against that big nut then the snap ring. The only thing I can think of is mabe that big nut is to tight and it's not pushing the cv out far enough to hold it tight??
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I can't see the snap ring on the splined shaft. Is it there? According to the manual, there is a bushing under the snap ring that sits in the end of the steering knuckle. http://web.archive.org/web/201102060...15componen.pdf Any chance that got knocked out?