Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windshield area leak

Old 11-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Windshield area leak

I have a 1987 4runner that had been garaged for about 27 years of it's life until I got it in 2014.
Last month I had my cracked and what I thought leaking cracked windshield replaced, it leaked pretty bad from the center just to the side of the rear view mirror and a little from the sides on top of the pillars. the window frame looked very nice, nothing rusted out just a tiny bit of surface rust which was cleaned and prepped for the new windshield it was very old windshield and the butyl was worn out and leaked from the center top. The new windshield still leaked from the sides, the center was nice and dry now. I called up the company that replaced the windshield and told them and they sent the same guy back out. We spent about an hour looking, using foam spray on the outside and blowing with compressed air from inside nothing would show a leak anywhere. I told him it only dribbled out going around corners, so he wet down the top and sure enough went around a few corners and got some to leak out, so we dropped the headliner and the pillar covers, wet it down again and he saw it, it was leaking from out of the spot welded seam on the windshield frame. We couldn't figure out how it was getting there but it was, no sun roof. So my question is... How can water get in the roof of the cab, any ideas? I'm lost drip rails? removable top seal? I have never had top off but the PO had.

Anything helps.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving guys!

I'm also working on this issue now here.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine leaks in the same area, it did not start until I had a new seal and window installed, I just figured it was not installed properly.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
I am also working on this issue here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ld-out-297857/

Happy Holidays! Windshield issues for everybody!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kdo58
Mine leaks in the same area, it did not start until I had a new seal and window installed, I just figured it was not installed properly.
Mine leaked before the new one.
But the pic's I see of others looks nothing like mine I had no rusted metal or even any dirt I saw only one pine needle down there, but I honestly think it fell off the roof, mine looked VERY smooth and had just a tiny bit of surface rust you could wipe away with your finger, we sanded it down and sealed it then he added Dynatron 550 to the seams.

Last edited by Naked Runner; 11-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Search this Thread