86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to Start on my 95 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Start on my 95 4runner?

Hey y'all! Before I get started, I looked for this topic and I haven't been able to find it so if I just missed it, please let me know and I will take this down so I don't clog stuff up.
I've been surfing Yotatech for about a year now (since I got my rig), and I've decided that it's about time to start improving the beast. The problem I'm having is that I don't have very much knowledge of motor vehicles and I need some help on where to start. I'm smart enough that I can learn to do modifications and such once I know which modifications I need for the results I want on my rig. So here goes nothing as I try to explain my overall goal.

I have a 1995 4runner with a 3.0 L 3VZ-E V6. She has roughly 215,000 miles on her, and is still running strong.

I am the 4th owner, and I bought her from a mechanic that my family uses.
One of the previous owners replaced the Timing belt at 173,000 miles. I had all of the other belts, and all of my spark plugs replaced at around 210,000 miles. I replaced the tires in about July, I'm running 32/115/r15.

I plan to use this rig for some light trail and mudding runs, camping, snowboarding trips (I live near Mt.Hood), and as a daily driver.
Does anyone have modifications or things that they highly recommend I get done to improve performance, and to just increase the life of my 4runner?

Sorry for being so noobish, but I'm really stoked to learn about cars, and I wasn't sure where to start.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a nearly 20 old rig.....maintenance, maintenance, maintenance! This is especially important if previous history is sketchy.

Have proper winter supply kit the rig - flashlight, blanket, gloves, food, etc
Inspect the brakes
Fresh coolant of proper mix and replace radiator hoses if needed
Plugs, spark plug wires, etc - Denso, NGK, or Toyota dealer parts only.
Change all fluids
Replace PCV valve
Air filter
Check all vacuum lines and intake tube for any cracks - any crack can cause wonky idle

Check all suspension components for play and rotted rubber
Better yet...replace the upper and lower ball joints....a lower ball joint failure will ruin your day for sure

Make sure battery cables and connections are corrosion free, make sure all ground wire mounting points are clean and tight.

And, the list goes on.......
Yes, if you search by clicking on Tool in the tool bar, Advanced search you'll find other lists.

Welcome to YT!

Be safe on Hood.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks RW! That is exactly what I was looking for.
I always keep some MREs and water in my rig, as well as blankets gloves, tools etc...
My brakes are due for some work pretty soon, and I'll make sure to check the PCV valve, air filter, and the vacuum lines. Sometimes when I start up my car it sort of shudders, and it will sit there and shake quite a bit, so the vacuum lines may be the problem.

I plan on doing the ball joints soon also. Any idea on how much that runs? Also do you know if the 95 4runner has the kind of ball joints that you need to lube every so often, or if they are the ball joints that are good for the life of the product?

On top of all of those projects, I ordered some Land cruiser springs, and I ordered ball joint spacers to do a mild lift. I plan on buying aisin locking hubs as well. I'll definitely replace the ball joints before I add the spacers.

Thanks so much for your input I really appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Are you able to do the work yourself? Are you familiar with ordering parts from the online Toyota dealers? A good one for Oregon is in my sig below that will likely crush local dealer prices even after shipping.

BTW, do you get the leisurely drive up 35 to Hood or the 26 madness? ;-)

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:34 PM

If your new to vehicles in general buy a Haynes repair manual or similar, there not to expensive. Read it front to back and back to front. Research anything in it that you want to learn more about. Even looking at manuals for different vehicles will help you understand how things work, different designs and such.
Post some pics up of your Runner!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 PM

If your new to vehicles in general buy a Haynes repair manual or similar, there not to expensive. Read it front to back and back to front. Research anything in it that you want to learn more about. Even looking at manuals for different vehicles will help you understand how things work, different designs and such.
Post some pics up of your Runner!
Rad. I ordered a maintenance book about a week ago. I plan on utilizing it quite a bit. and I'll get some pics up in a bit!

Are you able to do the work yourself? Are you familiar with ordering parts from the online Toyota dealers? A good one for Oregon is in my sig below that will likely crush local dealer prices even after shipping.

BTW, do you get the leisurely drive up 35 to Hood or the 26 madness? ;-)
I plan on doing a lot of work myself. I'm a college student so I have to save up the money, but it shouldn't take too long. I'm not too familiar with ordering online parts but I'll make sure to check out your link!

I usually take the 26 from Portland up there. the 35 and 26 are about the same heading up to meadows!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thankfully, I only deal with I-84 and 35 to Meadows.
Take a look at the first link in my sig too... it may be helpful. The place I use, similar to Toyota of Dallas, is up in Tacoma....link in sig, of course.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 PM

I recently just got a 95 4runner and I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I have a mechanical background in heavy equipment but my knowledge with Toyota is scarce so I'm not sure where to start.

First off she's a SR5 4X4 3.0 V6 auto w/143k miles. Engine seems to run great and no shifting or slipping problems with trans. But it gets dog poo for gas mileage, like 12mpg and I don't know why. There is also a hard knocking coming from the front passenger side when hitting bumps. Seems to come from the steering linkage but I'm not sure if it needs full replacement or if there is a way to fix the looseness. I've also noticed other 95's have locking hubs. Do all the 95's have locking hubs or just the standard trans?

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech