Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What you can expect from insurance comanies (be prepared)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drew303
.... thread above this.. mine is another read on an accident and insurance what have you.. tho im not this far into the battle w/ insurance as 4rnr got.

I have to CLEAR something up here tho. Why is your insurance have anything to do w/ this? If the dude cut you off (merged) its his fault and so HIS insurance should deal w/ this at which case they have to fix EVERYTHING that got messed up w/ your vehicle regardless of mods.

which is how my case is. i wasnt at fault, so his insurance is paying for everything that was damaged.

Why would you insure your truck anyways? That seems like a big waste of $. All I count on is people hitting me. If I hit someone then my liability insurance kicks in and fixes their car/truck whatever while im left w/ a broken truck and that is OK w/ me regardless of the $ I put into it because I was a dumbbutt... If the accident is ruled my fault and its not really my fault (a typical scam) Im prepared to go to court to battle it out.

I was T-boned 4 yrs ago and it was ruled my fault by law. (I even got ticketed) That vehicle had full coverage so we didnt battle it. It was cheaper to eat the rate increase than battle it in court, especially since the old lady that T-boned me settled the case w/out sueing us.. she had her insurance cover the rest of the costs that ours didnt because she KNEW she was actually ... albeit not legally... responsible for the crash. ... A RARE situation but good people DO EXIST. ... The fact hat our insurance didnt cover all of the costs was bullcrap no doubt (looong story) but we got off because like i said, the other parties insurance covered it so we let it go and didnt ask anymore questions. The accident has since dropped from my record and my insurance costs are back to normal.

BE PERSISTENT. Your only talking to people doing their jobs and they're instructed and probably imbursed on how much $ they can save for their company but they REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU!!!! .. I work in retail and trust me i REAAAALLLY DONT CARE about my customers. Majority are rich buttholes with rude attitudes and i DONT see any $ benefit for being extra nice. Doesnt reality suck? but likewise insurance agents dont know you, dont care about you, they're doing their job for their own selfish reasons like the rest of us.

*** I use Farmers Insurance. My family all uses the same policy and agent.

First of all the insurance companies are fighting. and I was told that the vehicle has to be repaired and done before they can continue to fight over responsibility. (whatever)

It was always insured. It was/is a DD. (30% DD now). But the main reason is because I am covered offroad. As long as I am at a sanctioned park IE the badlands or the Cliffs. So basically if my truck catches fire (the only thing that could destroy it at this point) I am covered. I dont know, maybe it would be smarter to have just liability, but I have had this truck for a long time and its the first truck I ever wheeled, and I plan to have it for ever. So I guess Im attached to it

BTW I used to be in retail. I used to sell high-end audio/hometheater (up to $775,000 (the higest one) systems.) My sale process became pretty intimate I would make several visits to the houses (scouting, design, setup, usage, maintenance) and it can take a year. I cared deeply about MOST of my customers and their satisfaction. So we are not all bad
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
.... I work in retail and trust me i REAAAALLLY DONT CARE about my customers. Majority are rich buttholes with rude attitudes and i DONT see any $ benefit for being extra nice. Doesnt reality suck? but likewise insurance agents dont know you, dont care about you, they're doing their job for their own selfish reasons like the rest of us.

*** I use Farmers Insurance. My family all uses the same policy and agent.
Damn dude, if that's what you think of your agent, maybe you should find a different one. Contrary to your belief I actually do care quite a bit about my clients. Maybe selling a pair of jeans (or whatever retail you're in) isn't a big deal, but as far as insurance, there is a lot riding on the person helping you.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Damn dude, if that's what you think of your agent, maybe you should find a different one. Contrary to your belief I actually do care quite a bit about my clients. Maybe selling a pair of jeans (or whatever retail you're in) isn't a big deal, but as far as insurance, there is a lot riding on the person helping you.

i agree 100%. i, like djlarroc, am an insurance agent for the same company. i care more about my clients than anything else. I make a base pay regardless of policies written. the only way i bonus is by production. so business retention is the key. would you stay with an agent that didnt give a crap? no. i wouldnt either. each client i talk to, i genuinely want to help and when someone calls for a quote, i dont just give them a policy thats 500 bucks a month, when they only need the one thats 50. like i said. i make the same if i sell a $1 policy or $1,000,000 policy.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Re: Insurance companies, I was with state farm from the time I was licensed as a driver until I bought my first home at age 28 (12 years). I was the perfect customer, never a late payment, never a ticket or an accident.

I went in to get homeowners insurance on my new home and was told that they were no longer writing new HO policies in my area. Hello Allstate.

As for "dealing" with ins companies, I've only had to deal with one, progressive. I was rear-ended by an unlicensed teen driving daddy's truck on a flat front tire in the rain. I asked for a check to cover my totaled truck and enough pain and sufferering compensation ($1000) to cover the real difference between what they were totalling my truck at and the actual cost of a comparable replacement.

I had them by the short and curlies, and felt like I took the moral high ground in not taking them to the cleaners when I could very easily have done so. Even so, they still dragged their feet for a month in getting me a check, and by the end I was wishing I had called an abulance-chaser to really put the screws to them.

Insurance companies are in the business of keeping as much of your money as they can, period. The agents can be some really good people, and may really care about you personally, but ultimately they are just cogs in the machine.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Hey 4Rnr, if the kid hit you, isn't it HIS fault and HIS insurance that pays you out? Your original post sounds like your own insurance company paid you out - did I read it wrong?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by rdang
Hey 4Rnr, if the kid hit you, isn't it HIS fault and HIS insurance that pays you out? Your original post sounds like your own insurance company paid you out - did I read it wrong?
Post #41
Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by shwuz
Insurance companies are in the business of keeping as much of your money as they can, period. The agents can be some really good people, and may really care about you personally, but ultimately they are just cogs in the machine.
i would say that 95% of businesses are "in the business of keeping as much of your money as they can." isnt that how things work? insurance companies make money by investing. dollar for dollar if money wasnt invested insurance companies would barely get by. dont you want to get paid for your work?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Man, I gotta learn to read the long ones... sorry 'bout that 4Rnr

Originally Posted by 4rnr
Post #41
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Good post! I'm always happy to see the consumer win. And State Farm has always treated me well, paid me $17,500 on a totalled RX-7 I paid $15k for! BOUNG! I'm paying them now, though...

I hate insurance, the thing that gets me the most is I pay money up front in case something happens, then my rate shoots up once something does. Isn't that why I've been paying you $250 a month until now, so you pay when something happens? Now I'm paying that $250 a month, plus what my credit card payments would have been if I paid for the repairs? How does that make sense? It's total BS! If it wasn't the law I'd put $200 in savings every month instead of paying those scammers.

Lol I just busted out my calculator, I paid $2500 for my 4runner, and I pay $2040 a year in insurance. And that's just liability!!! Sucks to be a 21 year old guy.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually hate state Farm, but they gave a $900 check for minimum damage when a girl scraped me in the parking lot.

State Farm, Am Fam, & Allstate is the reason my dad became an independent agent.

The number one thing he finds when dealing with home? Under insured.

but heres an interesting video

www.pbs.org/now/shows/333/video.html

Last edited by 24Runna; 10-07-2008 at 10:12 AM.