Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What mods to do with ~$1000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What mods to do with ~$1000?

As the title says, I've got around 1000 bucks that I'm willing to part with for the betterment of my truck.

Since I broke my AAL, my suspension is sagging. Also, I have stock shock absorbers on my truck. I can get the OME kit, which is 4 shocks, steering stabilizer, leaf springs, and torsion bars, plus the hardware, installed for around 900-1000 depending on tax, and overall labor. (I'll be doing the shocks, stabilizer and possibly rear springs myself.)

The other option is having my interior floor rhino lined, seeing as how my duplicolor truck bed liner job sucked really bad..... I haven't gotten a price on that yet, but a girl I know had her jeep done for around $150. I think i could get out for 200-250. Especially if I do a good bit of prep work and take it in with the top off, etc....

If that's cheap enough, I'd like to have my seats recovered and at least the front 2 repadded. My drivers seat has ZERO lumbar support and it's killing my back. I want to get them covered in something that's waterproof if that's possible. Any ideas on that would be good.
If I don't get that done I guess I could always use a pillow behind my back.
I have no idea what upholstery work will cost. Anyone who has an Idea let me know. Or, if they make good aftermarket seats or other toyota seats that are a direct fit, or close fit that would be a good alternative. Trouble is, I'd have to get them in the right color.

Also, I've considered the Bud built front skid & t-case skid, as well as a Sonoran steel IFS truss. I would also like a bumper like some of the one's Steve builds, but the local shop said they only do tube style bumpers, and I don't want one. I'd like it to match my ARB in styling. Minus the bumper, I think those would be around 500 bucks or so. I'm not sure. Any info on bumpers or anyone near me that could make what I want, please let me know.

I'd also like a Yakima basket, which is around 300, plus some extra attachment points so we can use it on the Land cruiser as well. If needed.

Lockers are out becuase it's 700 a piece for the lockers, a couple hundred for the compressor and hardware, probably 200 or so for 4.88's F/R, plus install on all of it, could add up to over 2000. which is more than I have to spend right now.

A winch is a possibility. I'd like to get the M8000 and put synth line on it. What's the best set up for that. 85' Amsteel blue 3/8" with a roller fairlead. Or Aluminum hawse? How much could I expect to sell my wire rope for?

Advice, comments, questions, other ideas?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would replace/upgrade things that are broken and that bother you first.

As far as performance:
Longtube header
Cold air intake
Gears

If you want to blow your money at once. You could go with a Skyjacker 5" suspension system.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM

I had my driver seat reupholstered and repadded for $150. That was just the seat part tho. Looks just like new and feels way better. He also fixed the vinyl on the side wich was also thrashed and some rips on the passenger side.
He said another $150 for the back rest part, I cant wait to do mine as my lumbar is shot and I have some metal rod that bugs my right side of my back where the padding had obviously worn away.
And $500 to redo the whole thing.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 10-26-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do the 3.4 swap you get better m.p.g. and power then I would go to everything else. Just my thought
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

I think you're going a bit high on your numbers... Keep shopping, I'm sure you can fit a couple more things in there...I'd do the suspension stuff and take care of your back. You'll get a better ride from both angles. .... as far as the rack, take a look at this one: Rack I think I'm going to get this for my rig. Just trying to make sure I can attach it to the rain gutters...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I would do the 3.4 swap you get better m.p.g. and power then I would go to everything else. Just my thought
What he said
Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I think you're going a bit high on your numbers... Keep shopping, I'm sure you can fit a couple more things in there...I'd do the suspension stuff and take care of your back. You'll get a better ride from both angles. .... as far as the rack, take a look at this one: Rack I think I'm going to get this for my rig. Just trying to make sure I can attach it to the rain gutters...
I would but I'm not going to attatch a rack to the rain gutters. It's fine on the metal, but the fiberglass will break if you put any stress on it. I think the guy's name on here is Angram or something like that. He's got it mounted the way that I'm gonna do it. I'll see if I can't find a link to some pics.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
I had my driver seat reupholstered and repadded for $150. That was just the seat part tho. Looks just like new and feels way better. He also fixed the vinyl on the side wich was also thrashed and some rips on the passenger side.
He said another $150 for the back rest part, I cant wait to do mine as my lumbar is shot and I have some metal rod that bugs my right side of my back where the padding had obviously worn away.
And $500 to redo the whole thing.
That sounds pretty reasonable. I just want to know if there's anything that would be waterproof, but not sticky and hot....It's mainly so they don't mold or anything when they get wet with the top off..
Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I'm all about a 3.4l, I think that will blow his budget.

As for mods, just do what makes you feel the best for the money you spend.

Want a little more "geddieup" get some gofast goodies.
Want some nice seats, get some newer ones redone.

But it does sound like you need new rear suspension. You might want to start there.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thefatkid
I'm all about a 3.4l, I think that will blow his budget.

As for mods, just do what makes you feel the best for the money you spend.

Want a little more "geddieup" get some gofast goodies.
Want some nice seats, get some newer ones redone.

But it does sound like you need new rear suspension. You might want to start there.
I wouldn't want to do the 3.4 swap anyway.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM

if you spray on the duplicolor it turns out pretty nice
heres a link for everything you need its pretty cheap to dohttp://mkelly.proboards22.com/index....ead=1176149227
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 PM

buy new rear springs, shocks all around, and new bucket seats
Old 10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bob200587
I would but I'm not going to attatch a rack to the rain gutters. It's fine on the metal, but the fiberglass will break if you put any stress on it. I think the guy's name on here is Angram or something like that. He's got it mounted the way that I'm gonna do it. I'll see if I can't find a link to some pics.
You're right dude.. I forgot we have the same Runners. If you can find that info, on Angram, that would be awesome! I'd really like to put a rack on my truck. Did he install that same Coleman rack?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
You're right dude.. I forgot we have the same Runners. If you can find that info, on Angram, that would be awesome! I'd really like to put a rack on my truck. Did he install that same Coleman rack?
http://www.amgraham.com/yakima_loadwarrior.htm

That's his site, but it was down when i tried it.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...en-pic-106232/

It appears Brandon did his the same way, Amgraham had some more pics of the install. But that's what it looks like.

that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toy89yota
if you spray on the duplicolor it turns out pretty nice
heres a link for everything you need its pretty cheap to dohttp://mkelly.proboards22.com/index....ead=1176149227
I have no way of going about spraying it. No equipment, and I hate painting.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 PM

SAS it.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 PM

ok 1000 bucks. oh get neoprene seat covers, wet okle makes awesome custom fit ones, no idea how much.... um fix your suspension. and why not get a cheaper locker? if you arent wheeling hard throw a locrite in for like 200$ it really depends on what you want to use your truck for... how are your tires?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bry-an
ok 1000 bucks. oh get neoprene seat covers, wet okle makes awesome custom fit ones, no idea how much.... um fix your suspension. and why not get a cheaper locker? if you arent wheeling hard throw a locrite in for like 200$ it really depends on what you want to use your truck for... how are your tires?
Those seat covers are expensive and won't fix the lack of padding.

Definatley not doing any lockers but ARB.

2 tires are brand new, the other 3 have 85% left.....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seafarinman
SAS it.
ha......
Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
That sounds pretty reasonable. I just want to know if there's anything that would be waterproof, but not sticky and hot....It's mainly so they don't mold or anything when they get wet with the top off..
I'm sure there is nice stuff like that out there, some vinyl or new space age material or something.

My big plan is to see if he can put in a layer of high density foam or maybe even memory foam type stuff for the best comfort. My friend who makes bike seats uses this sheet of maybe inch thick black foam rubber stuff, super comfy! And gave me the idea.

Quick Reply: What mods to do with ~$1000?