Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

this is what im doing to my toyo 4 mudding.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is what im doing to my toyo 4 mudding.

SaS
4inch suspension
35-36'' BfG Mud terrains

12'' Bilstien shocks

3.4 or 4.3 Engine swap. Will take time.

Flowmaster 2.5inch

5:29 Gears.

air locked front

welded rear

Now. Time to get to work.

God Damn.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why run a welded rear with new tires???? Maybe retreads, but definitely not expensive tires like BFG muds.

Get an Aussie, or some Powertrax locker at least.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
Why run a welded rear with new tires???? Maybe retreads, but definitely not expensive tires like BFG muds.

Get an Aussie, or some Powertrax locker at least.
ive run welded rear on some of my trucks alot and ran TSL's and boggers and not really worn that much faster. the only time they wear fast is if you do alot of city driving but i avoid cities like the plague becasue i dont like traffic and stupid drivers!!

the truck sounds good, you will probably want to throw some longs in there too, 35-36's wont max the stock ones but it is good ensurance for when you get the wheel spin up and then find a rock at the bottom of the mud pit.

I have an 84 i out 39.5 tsl on and it rocks the mud even with the stock 22r and 4.10's just becasue it floats soo well, once i get my V-6 in it will be unstoppable, so i would say you are going the right direction but i personally would go TSL or bogger for serious mud!

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 09-29-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
ive run welded rear on some of my trucks alot and ran TSL's and boggers and not really worn that much faster. the only time they wear fast is if you do alot of city driving but i avoid cities like the plague becasue i dont like traffic and stupid drivers!!

the truck sounds good, you will probably want to throw some longs in there too, 35-36's wont max the stock ones but it is good ensurance for when you get the wheel spin up and then find a rock at the bottom of the mud pit.

I have an 84 i out 39.5 tsl on and it rocks the mud even with the stock 22r and 4.10's just becasue it floats soo well, once i get my V-6 in it will be unstoppable, so i would say you are going the right direction but i personally would go TSL or bogger for serious mud!
Yeah but i still dont know about locking everything because its a somewhat daily driver for now too.

im doing all this keeping it street legal and once i get my honda civic back for gas milage im going to make this truck. looking like Fillsrunner4.

That 4runner is most likely in my eyes one of the best trucks ive ever seen.

if u havent seen it i advise yo to look through it he has some really really good ideas.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 PM

???

Locker's make the truck more street-able than a welded rear. I barely ever notice my Aussie locker. Only when I'm driving recklessly around the city do I notice it.

My locker does unlock around corners and only chirps very occasionally, and I still have more tire wear in the rear size my last rotation.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM

sounds like you wanna put some money into that runner, save up and do it right the first time. nothing like a countryhick living in the jungle of the city life by the way it looks of your avatar.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by georgiayota
nothing like a countryhick living in the jungle of the city life by the way it looks of your avatar.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 AM

Its been a long time since I drove anything with a welded rear. However, I remember hating driving it in the city. I'm from SC you can use the term city loosely.

Alot of people will disagree with me on this. I would put an ausie up front and an ARB in the rear and manual hubs. With the hubs unlocked you can drive completely like its stock. Go to the trail or the mud hole, lock the hubs go, flip the switch for the rear and go. You can't turn with throttle, but most people will tell you that you learn to drive around this limitation quickly. Also it looks like your in an area that gets snow. Lockers and snow are not the best mix. With the ARB in the rear you get predicable snow driving and with better traction available at the flip of a switch. At the point you need to lock up the front our probably going slow enough not to worry about it.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by gte718p; 09-30-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 AM

Why not spen the money on air locking the rear, and weld the front? Just leave ur hubs unlocked when road driving.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM

A locker in the rear isn't bad on my truck. I think the best setup for the money is an autolocker in the rear and a selectable up front. Failing that, a Detroit/ Eaton(?) Truetrac would be great so long as your not big into rock crawling.

Last edited by Matt16; 09-30-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM

A locker in the rear isn't bad on my truck. I think the best setup for the money is an autolocker in the rear and a selectable up front. Failing that, a Detroit/ Eaton(?) Truetrac would be great so long as your not big into rock crawling.
alright ill look into that Matt.

Not a bad idea since i might be driving this foral ittle in town im getting my honda civic back in a few months. fourty to the gallon beats my 15-16. lol
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do really like the aussie locker in my toy, has done real good on the street and was relatively cheap. And they have really good customer service, they sent me the wrong one first and they 2 dayed the right one to me becasue they dont do overnight to alaska! and then sent a shipping slip with the new one to ship the wrong one back and didn't cost me a cent!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Countryhick
snip.
yada yada yada...
God Damn.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure He's not real thrilled about it either...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Yeah, I'm pretty sure He's not real thrilled about it either...
Unless your suspension lift brings you closer to Him.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gte718p
Its been a long time since I drove anything with a welded rear. However, I remember hating driving it in the city. I'm from SC you can use the term city loosely.

Alot of people will disagree with me on this. I would put an ausie up front and an ARB in the rear and manual hubs. With the hubs unlocked you can drive completely like its stock. Go to the trail or the mud hole, lock the hubs go, flip the switch for the rear and go. You can't turn with throttle, but most people will tell you that you learn to drive around this limitation quickly. Also it looks like your in an area that gets snow. Lockers and snow are not the best mix. With the ARB in the rear you get predicable snow driving and with better traction available at the flip of a switch. At the point you need to lock up the front our probably going slow enough not to worry about it.

Just my 2 cents
Problem with lockers in the rear is they fail faster than a welded or spools cause when they dissengage the teeth and springs eventualy were out from it. (welded can have a slightly higher chance of breaking if you weld the carrier too hot and take streght away from the heat treated parts inside) Weld slowly and small passes at a time if you do this! Unless you have a heavy rig also they tend to not dissengage as easy in the rear during turns which do the same number on tires as welded or spool. ARB is awesome front and rear but $$$ I reccomend weld (cheap if not free) rear and ARB front. Your driving a truck its gonna act like a truck plus its funny when you take corers 5mph and sounds like your going 50 aound it I know plenty of people running welded rears on DD's and love it

Originally Posted by Team420
Why not spen the money on air locking the rear, and weld the front? Just leave ur hubs unlocked when road driving.
Why on earth would you weld the front??? cant turn at all and puts way more stress on your front end, not to mention snapped birfs left and right! Switch that statment Weld rear ARB front or at least selectable or aussie/trutracs in front never welded even trail rig only shouldnt do that IMO

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 09-30-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Unless your suspension lift brings you closer to Him.
Yeah, but I would think He's more concerned with quality as opposed to quantity...
Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Problem with lockers in the rear is they fail faster than a welded or spools cause when they dissengage the teeth and springs eventualy were out from it. (welded can have a slightly higher chance of breaking if you weld the carrier too hot and take streght away from the heat treated parts inside) Weld slowly and small passes at a time if you do this! Unless you have a heavy rig also they tend to not dissengage as easy in the rear during turns which do the same number on tires as welded or spool. ARB is awesome front and rear but $$$ I reccomend weld (cheap if not free) rear and ARB front. Your driving a truck its gonna act like a truck plus its funny when you take corers 5mph and sounds like your going 50 aound it I know plenty of people running welded rears on DD's and love it

Why on earth would you weld the front??? cant turn at all and puts way more stress on your front end! Switch that statment Weld rear ARB front or at least selectable or aussie/trutracs in front never welded even trail rig only shouldnt do that IMO
x2.. allot of people hate on the " Lincoln lockers"..

but i think the work rather well. but i agree about welding to the Carrier, i did that in my v8 yota it lasted a lil while then the whole carrier snapped in half!

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 09-30-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
x2.. alot of peaple hate on the " lincoln lockers"..

but i think the work rather well. but i agree about welding to the carriear, i did that in my v8 yota it lasted a lil while then the whole carrier snapped in half!
Thats really the issue with welded rears is that you take from the heat treating properties when welding on the heat treated parts so again for any and all take you rime if you do it!

I dont call mine a lincoln locker but Millmatic locked Lincolns are like Jeeps to me
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ahh come on there not that bad lol..
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
ahh come on there not that bad lol..
I know I really dont care

Quick Reply: this is what im doing to my toyo 4 mudding.