Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What do these do?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do these do?

Hey guys Im cleaning out everything on my intake manifold in hopes of a better idle.

I am wondering what these two things do? Should there be un-restricted flow through all the nipples? The black one seamed to be clogged I blew air and cleaner through it and now its has better flow. Im wondering if I damaged anything inside it by doing this?

Also For the Upper and lower intake manifold gaskets do I use any RTV? of just the gasket?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails What do these do?-img_7541.jpg   What do these do?-img_7543.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Thermal Vacuum Valve, for the EGR.

"Gas Filter" to provide vacuum for various components. The filter prevents junk in the intake (e.g., from the PCV) from getting into your VSVs, etc. You don't want too much flow, as that means the filter is wrecked.

Originally Posted by Calipilot
Hey guys Im cleaning out everything on my intake manifold in hopes of a better idle. ...
Really? Don't forget that your truck idled smooth as glass when it came from the factory WITH all the stuff you're thinking of "cleaning" out. You've got about an 80% chance of really screwing things up, unless you really know what you're doing. (And if you really knew what you were doing, you wouldn't even think that could be called "cleaning" anything.)

Originally Posted by Calipilot
...Also For the Upper and lower intake manifold gaskets do I use any RTV? ...
No.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
No RTV for the gaskets. Trying to remove those parts you mention will just bring more problems. Usually a good cleaning of the sensors, plenum and getting all the hoses routed correctly will get things back to idling smooth again. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51647988 Some things to look for.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I should have been more specific. I am cleaning, inspecting, and adjusting, any thing that could be worn out or clogged on the intake manifold since it was new. With 214k this thing is far from the factory. The filter must have been clogged when I started running water I only got a drop or two of dark fluid. Now I have the flow one might expect with a filter in it. I am learning so be easy on me haha

Very nice thread Terry, I looked through the page you linked me too and plan on looking through more of it.

Thanks, Andrew