Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

weird engine sounds...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy weird engine sounds...help

I have a very weird sound going on right now. I started it up and it made a screeching-grinding-hissing sort of sound (for lack of a better descpitpion). When it is first started it is more of the screeching sound, as the idle goes down the hissing is more noticeable. It stays at a constant cycle of about 2 seconds of screech hissing then 2 seconds of normal engine sounds. It doesent change with the rpm's. It kind of sounds like rusty bearings with a loose vacuum hose.

There is also some rattling sounds that seems like there coming from the head.

I was driving on a logging road the night before, just encountered washboard and a few small bumps, and I dident notice that engine sound. I did have my radio on but that sound would have probably been noticeable.

The only thing I could think of is I had the rattle on start up that seems like it is the timing chain cover being eaten by the chain, maybe it has eaten thru?

At any rate I'm taking it in somewhere, but hoping someone here could help shed some light on what it may be. Because I have no idea.

Oh and if anyone knows a good toyota mechanic in Kelowna let me know.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 08-30-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking somewhere in the cam chain area too.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hard to say without actually hearing myself, but a timing chain eating into the cover would change witht the RPM's.....louder as the RPM went up. Why don't you pull the valve cover off and look? Might be something else. Water pump, maybe.

Last edited by thook; 08-31-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 AM

The water pump also crossed my mind, as did oil pump.
I guess I will try to take the cover off today, I just dont know how or what I'm looking for. And if I need a torque wrench, I'm screwed. Wish me luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 AM

Can you tell where in the engine the sound is coming from? Can you isolate it to front, back, top, bottom, etc? A bad throw-out bearing can make squealing sounds (it's a big ol' bearing), for example. As could a worn out clutch. These would vary with engine speed and change with the clutch pushed in or let out. Timing chain rattle is definitely a mechanical sound. See if you can narrow down the region it's coming from. Use a long screwdriver or thin piece of wood held up to your ear and just move around the whole engine. The hissing could be a vacuum leak and the valve is opening and closing every couple of seconds. Could be more than one sound you are trying to diagnose, too.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 AM

is it air conditioned???, cause mine does that. I'd think if it was the timing chain it would do it all the time, and probably the same with the water pump only when its at running temperature. Yeah, if this is your problem, my A/C compressor clutch is dead, so i grease the crap out of it, and it stops it for a little while, seems to be more frequent when its hot outside.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Ok After reading all these and trying to figure out whats going on I have a bit of news.

First off I dont have AC, so scratch that one.

Next the sound sometimes doesent do a cycle, it will just hiss at idle. Then do a cycle or two then straight hiss for a bit...

At higher rpm's it gets slightly faster, not by that much but enough to notice it. And it does the cycling between quiet and loud more consistantly.

I also took a vid and it is possible to kind of hear whats going on, you can hear it do the cycle I am talking about. It is definetly noticable at 2000 and 2500 rpm's It is also more of the hissing as opposed to the grinding sound as by the time I took the vid it was warmed up.

I also put the screw driver by my ear and it seems like the left side (by the battery) and front (closest to the grill) of the head makes the most noise. I can hear a ticking. I can hear it evrywhere but like I said it seems like front left is the loudest point, but I am not qouting my self on that.

Here is a link to my vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYT8zGHSA1k

Last edited by toyotatom93; 08-31-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

i think that is the side the timing chain chews through.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 PM

I also just noticed my coolant res is empty and the coolant is not visible in the rad. My oil cap is still clean and the dip stick shows the oil is still an amber oil color, (changed about a month ago) but maybe a little runnier than normal? But not badly infected with coolant yet I hope.

Does this seem consistant timing chain cover problems?

I hope it is just the TCC as I was expecting that to go anyway.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 08-31-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM

good god thats loud. Well, when you were in the truck, to me it sounded like it was the timing chain that had eaten through a guide. Well, if it is the water pump, it would shoot coolant everywhere when the truck is running, and there would be coolant all over around the water pump. Well, if it is the timing chain, and the oil doesn't look contaminated, then it wouldn't seem like the chain has eaten through into a coolant passage, so you might just have a heater hose or something leaking somewhere.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 AM

I dont have any leaks on the floor at all. It's been sitting there for like a week now. But you see what I mean tho. I had to record the audio in the truck for a filter of sorts, it just sounded like a mess otherwise, it doesent sound that rough as the vid leads you to believe after I get out of the truck. But what you hear is basicly what I heard that crappy morning. That weird hissing sound.

Is it possible the the chain has just worn a small hole into the coolant portion and not enough fluid has entered to discolor the oil? Or is it more like as soon as a few ml's of fluid hit the oil it changes.
I can't really tell how much fluid I lost. Would it be wise to refill the rad with water to see how much leaked out? (Dumb question alert) Will water only get into the oil compartment if it is running? Or should I drain the coolant or oil before I get it to the mechanic in a few days.

My chips are on the chain cover theory.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotatom93
The water pump also crossed my mind, as did oil pump.
I guess I will try to take the cover off today, I just dont know how or what I'm looking for. And if I need a torque wrench, I'm screwed. Wish me luck.
You could rule the TCC concern out real quick, and you really don't need a torque wrench. Optimally, it would be good. All you would need it for, though, is resecuring the valve cover. For that you can get away with just tightening it well enough to just "smoosh" the grommets evenly all around. Anyhow, just pull the valve cover off and look down towards the front of the head. The cam gear and chain are right there at the top, so you can't miss it. With a flashlight, look towards each side of the chain (particularly the driver's side) and you will see the black plastic guides. They should be in one piece. If so, experience the relief and have a beer. If not, look for any wearing on the timing cover....where the guide/s "used" to be. If there's any break through, you will see coolant readily.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by thook
You could rule the TCC concern out real quick, and you really don't need a torque wrench. Optimally, it would be good. All you would need it for, though, is resecuring the valve cover. For that you can get away with just tightening it well enough to just "smoosh" the grommets evenly all around. Anyhow, just pull the valve cover off and look down towards the front of the head. The cam gear and chain are right there at the top, so you can't miss it. With a flashlight, look towards each side of the chain (particularly the driver's side) and you will see the black plastic guides. They should be in one piece. If so, experience the relief and have a beer. If not, look for any wearing on the timing cover....where the guide/s "used" to be. If there's any break through, you will see coolant readily.

That definetly would have definetly gave me the encouragement to auctually do it my self, but spent the long weekend camping, and gotta work out of town again next week...

Anyway my whole point here is just to thank evryone who tried to help. Yay forum !