Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weasy's Cams for 3vze.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no doubt that cams will unleash the potential of the beast, BUT if you haven't done the work to support the cams your return on investment will be very small.

It takes better breathing from intake to tailpipe and making better fire to see any significant gains.

Yes, I've been down this path. I've polished the turd until it's as shiny as can be, spent the big bucks - all that and a bag of nuts too.
Yes, mine runs good, real good for a 3.turd, but it's still a 3.turd. That sucking sound is it draining the wallet.
I'm kicking myself for not putting a supercharged 3.4 in it, I've spent three to four times what the 3.4SC conversion would have cost on this 3VZE.

IMHO, spending $ on the 3.slow is not money well spent. Individual pieces offer very small returns (in some cases you can lose power) and doing the whole thing up into a high performance motor is extremely expensive.

This is no dis on Weazy cams, not at all. If you are determined to go down the path of building a high buck 3.slow then these are clearly one of the parts you want. But that high buck 3.slow will just barely meet what a stock 3.4 would do and never come anywhere close to a supercharged 3.4, and you'll spend 3x more on the 3.slow.

Not to mention that if you spent the same $ building a 3.4 you'd be in a whole 'nother category that a 3.slow can't even dream about.

It's not called 'polishing the turd' for nothing.
Save your $ for the conversion.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Honestly Im disappointed, BUT
so..... I'm confused. Why are you disappointed?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
so..... I'm confused. Why are you disappointed?
I was expecting it to be faster than it is - to somehow resemble our powerstroke 6.0 when it comes onto full boost of 27psi...

A race btwn my 4800lb 4runner and our '06 F250 (7800lbs) would be quite interesting as long as the F250 didnt do a 4x4 boosted launch...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We gotta mat a trd s/c to the 3vz-e The TRD charger is to small for the 3.4L but at 4-5psi would be prefect for the 3vz-e

Even just the cams tho i have noticed a nice improvement...for people looking for a basic upgrade for no real downfall this is a good way to do it. Combined with some valves im going to be bringing out it will be a nice combo as well.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I was expecting it to be faster than it is - to somehow resemble our powerstroke 6.0 when it comes onto full boost of 27psi...
Oh... umm, okay?

btw.. I had a chance to experience my cams this morning. I won't babble a lot here since we're talking about different engines, but safe to say, Johnny's got a killer product.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 AM

lol those trucks are pretty damn fast man lol
Old 02-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Oh... umm, okay?

btw.. I had a chance to experience my cams this morning. I won't babble a lot here since we're talking about different engines, but safe to say, Johnny's got a killer product.

Agreed - Im totally satisfied with my cams!

But about the F250, it whooped up on a 2ng gen civic hatch last year.....whilst pulling a 2200lb trailer! Twas most funny! I should have asked the kid in the civic if he wanted to load his civic onto the trailer, as he'd get to his destination faster!! LOL The F250 occasionally suffers from turbo lag, but when it does hit full boost from an almost stand still...holy God, good luck getting traction if you are in 2wd!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 02-16-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 AM

how do you think these cams would do in 2wd yota? im seriously interested!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM

Same thing! You will probably see better results due to less drive train loss...

These with my new valves will rock....
Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
It takes better breathing from intake to tailpipe and making better fire to see any significant gains.

Yes, mine runs good, real good for a 3.turd, but it's still a 3.turd. That sucking sound is it draining the wallet.

It's not called 'polishing the turd' for nothing.

my turd came polished up from the previous owner with intake and headers and a few other things. But no exhaust from the headers back, or cams or valves. Right now it's just really slow and louder than a dying cat. It also has a drinking problem lol... I gave it a flowmaster 40 2.25" since I bought it. At this point I think cams and valves wouldn't be too bad of an idea though since the flow is definitely there. I'm torn between cams/valves and better gearing.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM

I have a nice 92 4runner that is about to get a transplant. In order to get it on the road in the least amount of time, I am going to order a rebuilt engine at around $2500. I am thinking of running the break in time then installing the weasy cams. I am very very interested in what difference it will make on a fresh rebuild.
Interestingly enough, the Jasper website says their engines include oversize cams to eliminate driveline ticking. Only problem is their engine is around $7000.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM

oversized cams? Ha interesting that same thing can be done by adjusting the lifter shims...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM

jasper s#$ks. dont even consider it. seen to many problems from them. unless you like replaceing motors 2 or 3 times dont do it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 AM

Hi everyone,
I am new but I am putting together a upgraded toyota.
I am putting a RCE throttle body and a ExudeHone intake manifold on my 3vze. I have been collecting these parts for the last couple of months and
I also am putting the larger enginbuilder valves in my heads and The Weasys cam would be a good match for everthing else.
Where do you get them and how much?
thank you,
Jeff
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by skiraider
The Weasys cam would be a good match for everthing else.
Look two posts above yours (#32), that's the "Weasy" we're talking about.

Enjoy, and Welcome To YT!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Welcome skiraider to YT!

Yep i am the one and i see you have already sent me an email Ill be talking to you about them there.

I love the new name for these things.

The Weasy cams...awesome Group buy coming soon, i just confirmed with the cam grinder today! Now just waiting on Yotatech.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by skiraider
Hi everyone,
I am new but I am putting together a upgraded toyota.
I am putting a RCE throttle body and a ExudeHone intake manifold on my 3vze. I have been collecting these parts for the last couple of months and
I also am putting the larger enginbuilder valves in my heads and The Weasys cam would be a good match for everthing else.
thank you,
Jeff
Ok i did some searching via google, and I cant find jack about "RCE Throttle body" or "ExudeHone".... Got some links?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Bumpin' yota
Both the throttle body and the ported heads are in the downy offroad catalog.
I went directly to RC Engineering in torrance to have my fuel injectors ultrasonicly cleaned and saved a couple of dollars.
They also do the throttle body boring, and they do not list it on their web page. Both Downey offroad and DOA get the work done there. Look at the picture of the throttle body on the DOA web page and you can see the RCE logo on the butterfly. I saved about $50.00 by dealing directly with them.
ExudeHone is the company that Downey Offroad sends the intake manifolds to ,but the Downey price is better so I used them.

I hope this helps
Skiraider
Old 02-19-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Heck even Toyota dealers are swapping these into customer cars due to the fuel, power and emissions benefits....Toyota really screwed up in there cam design for this engine.

Which Toyota dealers?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Downtown Toyota is one that have dealt with the cam grinder as well as some in one in Williams lake...

The cam grinder knows more of them.
I have talked things over with Jimmy P Toyota in North Vancouver in the past with the parts lady there. Sucks that she moved to Ontario now

Quick Reply: Weasy's Cams for 3vze.