86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weasy's Cams for 3vze.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weasy's Cams for 3vze.

So who here is considering or wants to try Weasy's cams?

Here is my opinion. I really like my truck. It's a great truck, built well, etc. I like the 3vze. I think it's a good engine, but if it had just another 10 HP and 10 to 20 foot pounds of low end torque I would be a lot more satisfied with it in my mind.

I don't want to undertake excessive mods that compromise reliability or durability. I don't want to deal with consequences of various mods as there are consequences for all e.g. headers - more heat - clearnace issues, install is a b*tch, etc.. For me, cams are in my mind, on paper at least, a very safe mod to do, if the cams work with the engine, as far as potential consequences at the end. If you like a quiet exhaust, you keep a quiet exhaust. You might have more or less heat but it's probably negligeable in most cases.

My question, is do any of you guys feel the same way I do about your trucks? Also, any of you have them installed yet or tried driving a rig equipped with them?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im really interest on weazys cams just since i live in cali i need to see if it will pass smog or not! but i understand everthing that ur sayin! id rather go wit cams then headers anyday!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:51 AM

Im with you guys too i would love to have 10 more hp in my 3.0 by installing a cam. Smog isn't an issue since here in NC anything 1992 or below doesn't have to get smogged. But umm might be a stupid question but who and where is this weazy?? I tried searchin on google but kept getting threads from yotatech.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

weasey cams

Weasey 2k is Johnny in Vancouver BC! I am going to get these cams put in by him in April. Very excited about it. I will take pics of everything and give you my feedback. I wonder if we can dyno it. I have never tried this before and will try reading about how to dyno.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 AM

how much does he want for these cams do you know???
Old 01-21-2007, 09:54 AM

Hey guys,
I should have my cams back from Johnny late this week.

CoedNaked - I too am doing these mods with long term reliability and, dare i say, mileage gains in mind. I am doing cams and headers while i have it apart for the head gaskets(from ENGNBLDR). I think that these will be great. I am interested to see the difference with a stock exhaust after the headers and then maybe a quiet cat back(retaining cat). But in the long run i think you will be adding reliability to your truck. I would suggest when you do the cams, to do some of the other reliability related things at that time, since it will be apart.

I did my injectors(cruzin performance) as well...

Kat
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whenever my 3.0 blows its headgasket again ill be going with weasy cams and engbldr oversized valves. Im really suprised bumpin or supra haven't replied in this thread. They both are doin buildups of their 3.0s and both are going with weasy cams and oversized valves from ted.

Supras thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=77833&page=5

Bumpins thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/pics-my-hg-replacement-sloooow-going-88538/

Weasy2k thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=weasy2k+cams
Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 AM

I'm thinking about doing the cams when I go in for my knock sensor and am watching these threads to see what real world experience is.

Question - do you guys think you will even feel an extra 10 hp? Assuming the original 3vze made 150 hp - that is less than +7%.

The 3.4L replacement made an additional 27% - and there are still guys complaining it's slow.

My stock 3.0 isn't fast, but is adequate. Not sure if an extra 10 hp is going to change that.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well the cams are supposed to add hp AND relieve the issues that cause the headgasket to fail in the first place. Im pretty sure it was heat in the #6 cylinder??? Maybe??

Well Ted got 30hp by doing the valves and if yall are correct in the 10hp then that would be 40 extra hp for not that much money. I KNOW you would feel 40 extra hp. That plus the new reliability of the headgasket settles it for me.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

headers should help a lot themselves, especially something that eliminates, or at least is a better flowing crossover pipe.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 AM

I too am very serious about getting the cams for my 3vze. Shoot I just received my 3vze cams I ordered off ebay so I wont have to be down to long. But like shoes138 I too need to worry about Cali Smog laws. Plus I want to hear a first hand report from someone with the cams in. So yeah BumpinYota, how's that build coming???

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-22-2007, 03:12 PM

I'm interested in hearing responses from guys who do "just" the cams. I don't know if Bumpin Yota will be able to give a fair assessment of the cams as to how much of a difference they make as I think he's doing a bunch of other mods if I'm not mistaken. However because he is doing a bunch of mods, and assuming these cams open it up as much as they are advertised too, the other mods I believe he is doing will see even further gains than had their not been cams just because the other mods work that much better at helping flow and breathability.

But doing "just" cams in my mind, assuming they are as advertised, is a tame modification. No excess heat from header or crappy installs, or excess intake or exhaust noise, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

weasey's cams

I am getting the weasey 2k cams done in vancouver bc in april and I'll take pics and post a full report.
looking forward to it!
taiko
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Look forward to your report taikowaza.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM

just wanna see if passes smog lol but hopfully bumpin will get his done to see the results!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Shouldnt be any reason not to pass smog if your cat and O2 sensor are working and youre not running rich for some reason.
Cams just let more air in and the ECU will compensate the readings from the O2 sensor for the need of the extra fuel but after it re-maps all should pass the same.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:43 PM

If I can pop in to comment on Johnny's (Weasy's) character...

My 3.4L just got rebuilt, and somewhere in the process I decided to give Johnny's cams (for my engine) a try. We'd been talking on and off or a year or so, and I finally had a chance to stop drooling and make it happen.

He was AWESOME to work with. very cordial, VERY forthcoming with information, VERY patient with my concerns and questions.

Product wise - the cams look awesome. The grind is downright gorgeous.

I JUST picked up my truck tonight, so I can't comment on the power (gimme two weeks to put some miles on the engine!) but I can at leats say it's idling well and the first 10 miles of its new life was flawless.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok I took mine for a WOT spin for the first time tonight.

Honestly Im dissapointed, BUT

The truck has a more power down low, and a LOT more on the top end! It used to loose a lot of accelleration above about 4300rpm, but now it maintains that suck-you-in-the-seat feel. Sounds WAAAAY better too - much meaner sounding at WOT now.

With saying that I also have a slipping transmission...but im hopeing that is water in the tranny, so with a tranny flush it should be ok. (cross fingers for me)

Mods are -
1. 1mm oversized valves, both exhaust and intake
2. Mild port n polish
3. Weasy2k cams
4. 3 angle valve job as part of rebuild

I think that when/if I throw headers on, this truck will really wake up - that is once I get the tranny issues worked out!

Oh the truck also has a barely noticable lump to its idle....makes me grin every time I fire it up!

Oh and it is definately faster as is with the stock 10*BTDC ignition setting, and varnish mixed up gas in the tank.

Do I recommend Weasy2k's cams to others? You bet your arse I do! Would I buy them again? Hell yes I would!!!! Buy em you wont regret it!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 02-15-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 PM

Holy i cant believe i didnt see this thread...Thanks Mark for pointing it out. Sorry guys i have been up to my head in paper work and phone calls for...well more parts....(more on that later...*grins*..)

Anyway Thank you guys so much for the very kind comments! I work my butt off to help out as many people as I can and its great to hear the feedback!

I am still trying to find my old dyno of the cams on my fathers truck, even that dyno does not do it justice because of the fact that the shims need to be adjusted a bit still (did not have the right ones on me and i had to finish the job) so i am not getting 100% lift or duration out of them at all. So there is MORE power left to get...the dyno did read a peak gain of 15whp and about the same in tq but the most impressive thing was the fact you don't fall on your face anymore after 4k rpm as you used to...which you probably read above

Hehe the lump at idle is nice to Very minor but its there thats for sure. Stock exhaust kinda hides it tho

As for smog....here in BC we have a similar sniffing system that the Cali company's use and we noticed a 50-75% improvement in the emissions readings just from the cams alone. I will get that info scanned as well to post here once i pay a visit to my cam grinder again.

Heck even Toyota dealers are swapping these into customer cars due to the fuel, power and emissions benefits....Toyota really screwed up in there cam design for this engine.

taikowaza, ill be getting back to you asap...just replying here then going to bed...

Take care guys i subscribed to this thread and will answer any questions! I am going to be making lots of changes to my company and you will be seeing along of different things from Sea2Sky Tuning in the next few months thats for sure.
Take it easy everyone!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh and im getting a code 41 - which apparently is a TPS fault. Time to pull the EFI fuse for a while and see what happens on the next test drive!

Quick Reply: Weasy's Cams for 3vze.