86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leaking from exhaust manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from exhaust manifold??

so I filled the radiator up for the first time just now and there's a steady stream of coolant flowing out of the driver side exhaust manifold. I don't have the rest of the exhaust on there yet. It's been torn down to the intake gasket and put back together any idea y it's leaking from inside the exhaust?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 PM

It's a used motor from a wrecking yard I changed freeze plugs changed plenum gasket but reused the intake manifold gasket. It's gotta be the intake gasket or the head gasket right?? I never checked the head gasket b4 putting the motor in. When I filled the radiator up and tryed to start the motor nthn happened no cranking. I had a bad started I saw the water leaking so I pulled the plugs and it was full of water. So how did water fill the cylinders without the motor even cranking over. I also replaced thermostats water pump and timing belt.. any advice would help thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
First 22re I worked on, number 4 cylinder was full of water. Blown head gasket. I would pull the plug, get the water out and do a compression check.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Sorry didn't mention it's the 3.0 v6 but I pulled the plugs and got the water out I was hoping it would be the intake gasket and not the head gasket but try a compression test?

Last edited by Cameron707; 06-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Depending how much and how long that water has been in the cylinder, you piston ring(s) my have swelled. I wont lie, if it is the HG and it the rings are bad, you are looking at a whole rebuild or engine swap.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM

The water was in there for just 20 mins or so. But it seems to be only filling up the driver side cylinders and leaking out the driver side manifold. The passenger side looked dry when I pulled the plugs. So I taking off the intake and see what that gasket looks like and go from there. Could just the driver side head gasket be bad? Cuz the passenger side cylinders looked dry?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron707
The water was in there for just 20 mins or so. But it seems to be only filling up the driver side cylinders and leaking out the driver side manifold. The passenger side looked dry when I pulled the plugs. So I taking off the intake and see what that gasket looks like and go from there. Could just the driver side head gasket be bad? Cuz the passenger side cylinders looked dry?
Changing just one side is NOT the way to go, unless you only hope to unload it on some poor unsuspecting sucker. Don't.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
..., unless you only hope to unload it on some poor unsuspecting sucker. Don't.
It's not even worth it for that.

The hardest part(s) of replacing a head gasket is getting to it without breaking anything else. Once you have everything off through the intake manifold, taking off the cylinder heads is almost anti-climatic. Plus, you can't buy one side of a head gasket set, so you wouldn't even save any money on parts.

Millball is right; just do the head gasket"S".
Old 06-27-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
It's not even worth it for that.

The hardest part(s) of replacing a head gasket is getting to it without breaking anything else. Once you have everything off through the intake manifold, taking off the cylinder heads is almost anti-climatic. Plus, you can't buy one side of a head gasket set, so you wouldn't even save any money on parts.

Millball is right; just do the head gasket"S".
Agreed. If the water is filling up cylinder #6, which is on the drivers side, it is a blown HG.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
A common mistake you will find reference to here is a misrouted coolant line plumbed into an air line.

Gives those a once over and then do that compression test.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 AM

I'll probly replace the head gaskets as well since iv already got the intake manifold off just gotta order a kit. It could be a coolant line plugged in wrong I just took my best guess on the hoses I can find the vacuum hose diagram easily but some hoses I can't find anything for as far as a diagram goes for example there's 2 hoses that come from the air conditioning compressor that I don't kno we're they plug into the motor at. A diagram of we're exactly all the water/fuel/air hoses go would be cool if anyone has it good couple pics of ur v6 or something
Old 08-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Ok did a compression test it was good but water still flows out the exhaust driver side mani. When filling up the radiator.? What now there is 5 hoses I'm just guessing we're they go 1 is a fuel line that goes somwere on the intake plenum. 2 come from the power steering. And 2 come from the ac compressor I think I don't kno what plugs they plug into on the plenum and help with that I guys??
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
probably need to post pictures of how hoses are connected in your truck in order to have yotatech determine whether they are routed correctly.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Junk yard engine might not have had enough antifreeze either head or intake cracked from freezing .

Does it have a warranty ??

Unless you have the hoses wrong
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
A common mistake you will find reference to here is a misrouted coolant line plumbed into an air line. ...
Which hose would that be? There are two coolant hoses that go to the throttle body, but it would be really hard to mix those up. No "air" lines to go the exhaust side; if water was going into the plenum I would expect the engine to hydrolock before it got water out the exhaust manifold.

Similarly, in the unlikely case water was entering through a bad intake manifold gasket, the engine should hydrolock (unless a bunch of other things are wrong as well).

Sure sounds like a bad head gasket (or maybe a cracked head). Either way, the heads are coming off.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM

I never got far enough to turn the motor over yet. I'll take a few pics of the hoses and post them. What I did was use an air compressor with a compression gauge and adapter to blow air into the spark plugs holes. And all the cylinders let the air out slowly. No warranty I should have known better when I guy at the junkyard said they only sell 3.0s as a core cuz of the head gasket problem. To replace them before installing the motor.

Last edited by Cameron707; 08-02-2017 at 11:39 AM.