Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Want to go to 33s.. What and how much?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to go to 33s.. What and how much?

87 Runner 22re, 5 speed, I have done the research and I am wanting to do it soon. This is where I am at

Front:
OME Shocks
OME Torsion bars
BJ Spacer?

Rear:
OME Shocks
Leaf Pack?

Is this correct? I am only looking to run 33x10.5 all terrains. I am not a fan of BL. Any changes? part no.? places to buy what I need?

Thanks
Josh
Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 PM

im pretty sure depending on the backspacing of your wheels you can run 33x10.5 with no real lift, just a torsion crank. maybe get add-a-leaf for the rear if its saggin bad..

and i know u dont likebody lifts, but a 1" body lift plus what i just said would give you more than enough room for under $200...
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Factory wheels will be fine. So adjusting stock bars won't destroy ride or kill flex? Will add-a-leafs adjust the two inch sag? Also, the truck is running 235 somethings now. Will I need to re-gear to keep power. You know now that I am thinking about it 32s or 33s?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 PM

ajusting the torsion will effect flex, but in the end its still IFS and flex isnt a huge deal IMO. Ride wont be much different. you could also add balljoint spacers and keep the torsion soft, but that costs money. Ajusting the torsion is free, why not try it out first...

I've got Rancho add-a-leafs and they completly fixed the sag in the rear, not to mention made the ride better 10x. I dont hit the bump stops on speed bumps any more. In the instructions it says to take out the helper spring and replace with the add-a-leaf, but i left the helper spring and just added the add-a-leaf too. I had to get longer U-Bolts, but thats the way to go IMO.

I dont know about re-gearing, i dont have the 4cyl. I know people that have 22r and 33's without re-gearing and they seem to do fine....but maybe somebody else will chime in that actually has a 4cyl...

Im also debating 32x11.5 or 33x10.5 for my next set of tires, i think ill go with the talller/narrower tire because i think the wider tire will actually rub more than a taller tire...i guess ill find out.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:11 PM

So AAL will do the job? I thought that I would need an entire leaf pack. Do you happen to remember the part number. BJ spacers... where do I get them? Good.. bad.. what are the reasons not to get them? My Runner is used for DD and fun weekends, I want the 33s but I have no clue how it will effect the drivability..
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 PM

add-a-leafs SHOULD do the job, depending on how bad your leaf springs are. Mine were terrable, one actually had a negative bend going on flat ground. I dont remember the part number, i can find it though. Gimmie a few minutes on the net. I got them from Desert Rat, they were $50 i think. Longer U-bolts cost $15 for a set of 4...
Old 04-21-2007, 09:26 PM

RS60612 is the part number for the add-a-leafs

Here is the catalog from Rancho for aal
http://www.gorancho.com/flash/docs/2...af_levload.pdf

you can get ball-joint spacers from 4crawler
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

BJ spacers put the axle's and CV's at a steeper angle, so they are more stressed; and CV boots like to tear and higher angles. But you have the manual hubs (right?), so it shouldn't be as big as a problem. I think im going to try a set of BJ spacers when i get back to the states actually
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An AAL will fix the sag. You shouldn't need any lift the front at all in order to run 33x10.50.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 PM

So is it an ok DD with 33s? or would I need to go ahead and re-gear? I want to install lockers when I do gears.... any recommendations? About how much for gears and lockers? Is this a difficult install?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM

I've never done gears or lockers, so i dont know...
Old 04-22-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone's different, but in my opinion you'll want to regear for the 33's...

I ran 32x11.50 on my '95 for about 11 years with stock gears and I learned to hate the truck so much I almost got rid of it this year. It was driveable, but I swear to you that I have had grandma's swerve around me and give me the finger for holding them up in traffic. It made my truck a slow pig and the 33's will be worse.

Offroad it doesn't matter really. My truck performed better offroad with the bigger tires than it did with the stockers.

I don't know a whole lot about the early runners, but I just installed a set of bj spacers on my truck and they work as advertised. You can get them from 4crawler or strap22 on the forum over at TRDparts4you.com...

http://trdparts4u.com/PD-BJS1.aspx?MakeID=1

They're a little cheaper at trdparts4you but if you read the forums enough you'll feel like giving something back to 4crawler for all he does around here.

Lockers are a welcomed addition no matter what route you take.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:38 AM

I would look at BJ spacers... you gain 1.5" of ride height, and 1.5" of droop w/out affecting your ride. So you can set the OME bars where you want them for ride quality.

For the rear DO NOT run a generic AAL, if your springs are old and sagged, 87 runner so they are, a generac AAL WILL kill them off completly. I dont even reccommend a generic AAL on new leafs.. they are beyond horrible for what they do. They are cheap and if you dont care then fine, but a better step would be a custom AAL form Alcan, its still less than 100.. best bet would be remove the OEM springs take to a spring shop, have them rearched with and extra leaf for 1.5-2" lift... not 1.5"-2" over where you are now, but from where it was stock, that may be 3-4", but thats not the amount of lift... best best option is new springs at 20 years, but thats $$..
Old 04-22-2007, 09:57 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

Mount em on the stock wheels and go have fun! Save the lift money for regearing/lockers. With a manual transmission, you'll want to have 4.88's. I'm guessing you have 4.10 now ...
Old 04-22-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
depends where in the country you live. If its hilly you're gunna want to regear. If its flat you should be fine.

Those tires should fit fine with minor adjustment of the t-bars. I know theres a number of threads with people running those tires on the stock suspension on a 4runner with no rub.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:17 AM

if u regear u probally wont regret it, if u dont, u may. but if u dont now and do it later u may appreciate the gearing more later. this is known as a personal choice. lol. good luck
Old 04-22-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When someone is to regear for larger tires, is it necessary to regear both front and rear? (I know...a very nu/b question, but I figured a piggy back wouldn't hurt)
Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

unless you have a 2wd yes, you need to regear both
Old 04-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
S'what I figured. It's 4wd. Just though I'd make sure.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Yes it is 4wd, should have been more specific. Anybody have any prices for bars BJ spacers? AAL will work for rear, if no one disagrees, I will go with Rancho listed above. I have the factory shocks from my old 06 DC Tacoma, are they usable? I agree with the 4.88s, what are the good ones? Is it a good idea to go ahead and do the lockers? How hard is the install?

Sorry for all of the questions...

Last edited by thegreydog; 04-22-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thegreydog
Yes it is 4wd, should have been more specific. Anybody have any prices for bars BJ spacers? AAL will work for rear, if no one disagrees, I will go with Rancho listed above. I have the factory shocks from my old 06 DC Tacoma, are they usable? I agree with the 4.88s, what are the good ones? Is it a good idea to go ahead and do the lockers? How hard is the install?

Sorry for all of the questions...

I don't know about the shocks...

For gears go with Motive, Precision Gear or Yukons.

Yes go ahead and do the lockers now too, and no you won't be able to do gears and the locker yourself (well, not most likely. If you have to ask the answer is usually no).

The link I posted was to a selling page for ball joint spacers...

With a price on it.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 04-22-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to go to 33s.. What and how much?