Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

truck wont crank/start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
truck wont crank/start

86 pickup 4x4.

my starter is good, fuses are all good, no hack wiring jobs. went to install cd player i had the power hooked up to the factory radio hardness. same with the speakers. checked power ok. plugged in the cd player it works sound is great. go to start truck, it cuts off the cd player and wont crank no click or any thing.

everything in the truck has power. battery is fine. im stumped on what the problem is why it wont start when i turn the key. so i took out the cd player left it back to factory.

any idea what could be wrong?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did it start after you reinstalled the factory radio? do your dash lights light up when you turn the key? it could be many things, but this would help narrow it down.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 AM

all the dash lights come on. i didn't reinstall the radio. just the harness. the dash lights stay solid and dont go off.. wipers,brake, turn, heat all that works. but if i turn the key it wont even turn over.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM

i crunk the truck up and drove under the garage, it's raining. cut the truck off looked up the color codes, wiring in the cd players connector realized the op left off the 3 power wires so i connected them. wired up the speaker connections. pushed the cd player in the slot put on the cover. turned it on to make sure the sound was there . reached over to crank the truck.

cd player cuts off, but truck still wouldn't start. so i disconnected it, checked the fuses, power to everything. just put that starter in it couple wks ago. tested with another good battery..... i changed the starter because it wouldn't crank before but then i realized it was in D the whole time after i changed the starter.

Last edited by yotarover; 11-16-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
When you state you connected the CD player power to the factory harness, did you wire it to the red wire or connect with an adapter that plugs directly into the OEM radio harness connector?

My guess is you either:

1. connected to the wrong wire
2. disturbed a connection in the harness that is critical to the starting function
Old 11-16-2011, 06:05 AM

i pulled the factory radio out a while back. (unhooked it from the hardness) used the factory radio hardness for power and ground (wired the cd player that way.) used the factory speaker wires for sound. .... but the po had cliped the 3 wires running from the wiring hardness *main* so i to reconnect them. so i know there's power, fuses are good what could stop it from making the starter turn?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 AM

alright i went and rechecked the fuses under the hood. i replaced the #10 and it crunk up. so i decided to disconnect the bat and wired the cd player up again same problem. now im outta fuses (can't find my box). the 3 wires for power,ground have issues on the factory hardness and im guessing this is why the factory radio hardness is shorting out my fuse
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM

figured out with the ground looping back into the harness when connected. it's grounding out my ing fuse. but the fuses dont go pop or show any damage. checked if it had power neg on bat and pos prob on fuse and it reads 0.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 AM

same old crap happened again today. link i used for hooking it up http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/2108.html
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM

i've noticed that in order to get it to start/turn over. i have to take off a terminal and let it sit. then it starts right up. that's with nothing else attached to wiring hardness. brown is ground and grey is power when the switch is turned on. so what's the problem why it doesn't start with the cd player connected? i know the cd player hardness is good so is player it was tested with a 13v power supply.