Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

truck is sluggish and sometimes stutters at lower rpms

Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck is sluggish and sometimes stutters at lower rpms

EDIT: check out the comment from me at the bottom of the page for new update

hey i bought a 90 single cab pickup a couple months ago because i missed my old truck so much. The truck is a factory 22r with no modifications besides the cat took off and straight piped to the factory muffler. The truck also has a factory 4.10 gear and 31 10.50 tires on it. It just doesnt seem to pull itself as good as other yotas ive owned or drove. A friend of mine has the same truck just with 33 12.50s on it his and his pulls way better than mine. MY truck just seems to pull like a geo metro or something with 40ish hp lol. I dont think the motor is wore out cause its at 180k right now and doesnt tick,burn,or leak oil anywhere. It just seems like a turd, I was thinking the muffler could be really stopped up or somthing with the MAF because it looks rough.

Here lately it seems to studder after I wash the truck or go threw some river crossings. It seems that it acts like it misses until I give it almost full throttle or get higher up in the rpms. I dont know exactly where in the rpm range it does this since I dont have a tach but I would guess between 1500-3500. My truck has brand new dizzy cap/rotor button, spark plugs. I need to get a new set of plug wires to finish up the reutin tune up. But i noticed it doing the symptoms before I changed anything.

Any ideas on what it could be or if it happended to you? Any thoughts or ideas will be considered, thanks

Last edited by travisbaker; 07-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM

also the truck throws a check engine light, but i figured it was since the cat was off
Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 PM

I dont have a a cat, straight piped, throwin no codes.
try fuel filter, cleanin throttle body, all the normal stuff.
And the muffler might be plugged?

Last edited by BoredOutnJackdUp; 07-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 AM

Check and see what codes you are getting and that will lead you in the right direction. I too dont have a cat and it does not throw a code in mine either since the O2 sensor is in front of where the cat goes.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM

i tried checking my codes and so far i havent been able to get it to show the codes, i know Im not trying to jump the wrong pins so i might have a loose wire. What I noticed is that whenever it seems to fall on its face and be sluggish its only for about lasts for maybe 1k thre the rpm band. it acts like its not running on all 4 cylinders then it will start running normal again. and while its sluggish I can push the clutch in and it will rev out normal so its only when its under a load. any ideas?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech, Travis.

Hmmm, first, I wouldn't steer people away from that first post. I read the disclaimer above the post and went right to the bottom..... didn't really tell me much^^ so I read the Orig. post... and the first thing that stood out was 'WHEN I WASH IT, IT.....'.... I had a very similar problem and it was just DOGGING after I washed it, and sometimes, it would get going really slow, then out of nowhere, BAT OUT OF HELL, .... but anytime I tried to hold it at an RPM, it would screw with me. This was when I FIRST started messing with these... and I got some advice, checked a couple things and found my windshield was leaking right over the ECU area. NOT IN the ECU, but rather, it was corroding my COR. It would really give me a hard time starting as well. Then the 02 code came, and that helped TREMENDOUSLY with the power, even at 257K miles. Then I finally ran into the old "TPS is taking a dump" issue. It just seemed like one thing after another........>>>> I'm not suggesting you do anything but MAYBE test some of these components.... but it HAS to start with checking for codes. Check the wiring to the Diagnostic port, make sure none of the pins have come out the bottom or just become so corroded that they're NADA happening there. You're sure you're on TE1 and E2, in the diagnostic port, right? Might even try arching to those pins from the bottom if that's possible(can't remember, I'd have to look). YOU NEED THOSE CODES, IF ANY, otherwise, you'll just wind up on a HUGE needle in a haystack hunt, ya know?

Something about your last post throws me off a lil, too. "When I push in the clutch it rev's away, then it's a dog under load".... I mean, ......is it MISSING? Does it SOUND like it's running on 3? That really does sound like a TPS or MAF issue. Dont' even need a working Diagnostic port to test those two items.... I'd get the Multi-meter out and start ruling things out while I'm also trying to figure out the ''cause for not being able to simply read codes".

Just a quick note, too.... It was a lil difficult to read that last post, Travis... NOT dissin ya or picking on ya, ...not my style...but I'm just telling you, it WILL cause people to just say "forget it" if they have difficulty reading/comprehending your postings, ya know?

PS> Did I say..... CODES! lol.

Best wishes, I'll check back
Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by markfagus
Check and see what codes you are getting and that will lead you in the right direction. I too dont have a cat and it does not throw a code in mine either since the O2 sensor is in front of where the cat goes.
Doesn't he have 2- 02's? Post 88? Dangit, can't see what state he's in, that might help my GUESSING, lol.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM

Try adjusting the valves
Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

im in nc, i finally got it to throw the codes. throwing code for 02 sensor and lean and rich codes, which Im takin a good guess is because of o2 sensor code. I will look into replacing the o2 and make sure the wiring for it is good. Ill also adjust the valves too, to see if it helps any. thanks guys