Treaderight retreads

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotatom93
Really? I dont understand it...Still about $200 to ship to Vancouver
30x9.5 BFG A/T KO $175
31x10.5 is like $200
Ok from reading that you're looking at 800$ for a set of four tires locally. Man that's a hard choice.

630$ for retreads (which you know nothing about other than web knowledge)

or

800$ for main lines (with a solid rep)

I'd do the retreads. Those things are really well thought out and designed. You'll save a little money with the retreads and I think you'll be happy with them, I know I am. I took a chance on them after weeks of research. I've got to tell you that my next set of tires (if I can ever wear these out) will be a toss up. I like the new Wrangler Duratracs but the cost is BS. Retreads did good by me when I was broke and needed skins, I may just have to stay with them due to past performance and personnal experience.

Choice is your's to make, just make a choice based on knowledge.

Luck!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Ok from reading that you're looking at 800$ for a set of four tires locally. Man that's a hard choice.

630$ for retreads (which you know nothing about other than web knowledge)

or

800$ for main lines (with a solid rep)

I'd do the retreads. Those things are really well thought out and designed. You'll save a little money with the retreads and I think you'll be happy with them, I know I am. I took a chance on them after weeks of research. I've got to tell you that my next set of tires (if I can ever wear these out) will be a toss up. I like the new Wrangler Duratracs but the cost is BS. Retreads did good by me when I was broke and needed skins, I may just have to stay with them due to past performance and personnal experience.

Choice is your's to make, just make a choice based on knowledge.

Luck!
$630+mounting and balance and whatever taxes and other fees I might have, it's gonna be closer to a hundred dollar difference. I'm leaning more towards a local shop. Unless there is a huge shipping difference to send them to Washington and I pick them up from there. Because $85 dollar tires...Damn. I can even afford a spare.

Oh well we'll see what happens, no tires = no road trips so I have to get something. Hmm only $80 for shipping to Seattle...Any ideas as how how I can ship something to WA for pickup would be awesome.

Guess I gotta research my options for paying duty and crap.

Last edited by toyotatom93; 11-17-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 AM

I have been running them for over a year (check sig for details) and love them. I live in the PA and get both hot and cold. I have had no issues with these whatsoever. This 4Runner is somewhat of a daily to me and does see highway often. I have gone 80-90MPH on these tires with no issues. My only complaint is the road noise but well worth it to how these tires perform in the snow/rain.

IIRC, on their website the largest tire they recommend while keeping daily driving/highway safe is 33".
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostinChick
I have gone 80-90MPH on these tires with no issues. My only complaint is the road noise but well worth it to how these tires perform in the snow/rain.

IIRC, on their website the largest tire they recommend while keeping daily driving/highway safe is 33".
Where do you drive where the speed limit is 80-90 MPH?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Where do you drive where the speed limit is 80-90 miles per hour?
edited...

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-20-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 AM

I didn't say or state I go the speed limit .
Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotatom93
$630+mounting and balance and whatever taxes and other fees I might have, it's gonna be closer to a hundred dollar difference. I'm leaning more towards a local shop. Unless there is a huge shipping difference to send them to Washington and I pick them up from there. Because $85 dollar tires...Damn. I can even afford a spare.

Oh well we'll see what happens, no tires = no road trips so I have to get something. Hmm only $80 for shipping to Seattle...Any ideas as how how I can ship something to WA for pickup would be awesome.

Guess I gotta research my options for paying duty and crap.
I'm on Ft Lewis, Wa (about an hour south of Seattle) you can ship them to my place and pick them up. If that helps you. You might be able to find someone further north than me, post up in the "off topic." But my offer stands.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
I'm on Ft Lewis, Wa (about an hour south of Seattle) you can ship them to my place and pick them up. If that helps you. You might be able to find someone further north than me, post up in the "off topic." But my offer stands.
Cool, definetly an option. I will pm you when I get closer to getting them.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are good tires, a lot of truckers run retreads and in the past my dad ran retreads on his trucks.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Retreads or any other cheap tire will NEVER be on any of my vehicles. Saving a few bucks on cheap tires is really not very smart. I've purchased a few "lesser" quality brands and had bad experiences (delamination, sidewall bubbles, and out of roundness). The difference in price for a better quality rated tire is not much more over the 50K, 60K, or 80K miles they are on your vehicle. I check my air pressure every month.

I had a friend who was killed on a freeway due a blowout in a 4Runner. He lost control and rolled it at 75 miles per hour. I don't know anything about the tires on the vehicle, but it's just not worth the potential risk to compromise on tires. I've had the best luck with BFG's for "off-road" type, and Michelins for my passenger cars.

TJMWO,

gNARLS.
This brings up another good point. These retreads come with a good warranty. So should you live through your deathly experience, you can get your tire replaced. (that is, if you haven't voided the warranty in any way by neglecting your tire pressure or tire maintenance.)
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM

treadwrite tires are good quality, they are BF goodrich sidewalls with your choice of tread even the popular MTR or BFG A/T treads, my tires were $117 a peice cuz i got 285/70/17's ended up being about $560 to my door and mounted, go n try to find the same tire for even close to the price, not gonna happen, that size tire goes for 250+ and if their good on my 3/4 ton dodge there gonna be fine on your toy
Old 11-20-2009, 11:33 AM

some pics for curiosities sake

Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM

I'm interested in what you end up doing, I'm in Prince Rupert BC but it would be sweet to somehow scam a bit on shipping....$289 is pretty steep ! But the exchange is alright, I just wonder if you'd end up getting taken badly on duty ?

I'm going to see if there are other shipping options that would work for us.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
treadwrite tires are good quality, they are BF goodrich sidewalls with your choice of tread even the popular MTR or BFG A/T treads, my tires were $117 a peice cuz i got 285/70/17's ended up being about $560 to my door and mounted, go n try to find the same tire for even close to the price, not gonna happen, that size tire goes for 250+ and if their good on my 3/4 ton dodge there gonna be fine on your toy
Mine are Michellin sidewalls. Just wanted to say that for some reason.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM

There is a few rural highways outside of Austin, TX that are 80mph.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by 94toy22re
There is a few rural highways outside of Austin, TX that are 80mph.
I-10 coming out of El Paso is 80mph for passenger vehicles. You can usually run 90 and not have any issues with the police.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

I'll give a +4 for treadwrights. My old set of 235-75-r15 AT pattern on BFG sidewalls never lost 1 pound of air over the course of 7 months. Pretty tough rubber compund, held up very well to the chunks of limestone & volcanic rock around here. I only swapped them because I got a smoking deal on taco rims & a set of GY duratracs.

I may just stud them & keep them as extreme winter tires, if e ever get any snow up here...
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Retreads or any other cheap tire will NEVER be on any of my vehicles. Saving a few bucks on cheap tires is really not very smart. I've purchased a few "lesser" quality brands and had bad experiences (delamination, sidewall bubbles, and out of roundness). The difference in price for a better quality rated tire is not much more over the 50K, 60K, or 80K miles they are on your vehicle. I check my air pressure every month.

I had a friend who was killed on a freeway due to a blowout in a 4Runner. He lost control and rolled it at 75 miles per hour. I don't know anything about the tires on the vehicle, but it's just not worth the potential risk to compromise on tires. I've had the best luck with BFG's for "off-road" type, and Michelins for my passenger cars.

TJMWO,

gNARLS.
Man I understand your feelings but these are not re-caps or cheap tires. They have a great warranty, great reviews, outstanding tread and sidewall strength and are rather inexpensive compared to other tires. Those of us on a budget do well with these skins and like them. Trust me when I say I've beat the crap out of them and had no issues. I don't do anything hardcore like Utah or cut shale and volcanic rock but for what I've wheeled them through they have done very very well. When I started my build on the 86 pickup I knew I needed great tires but could not afford BFG/Goodyear/etc. I did lots and lots of research on TW and found the reviews to be outstanding. They work well in everything I've ever done except deep snow and that's because I had no way to air them back up, so I didn't air down. They did so well that when I bought the 89 4runner I swapped the less than 500 mile BFG AT's off so I could keep the TW's. That right there says something about being confident in a set of tires.

Just my couple of pennies in the mix

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-25-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM

^ ^ I agree

The 4Runner is my DD and I am not easy on it. I scrape up against curbs, go over curbs, do some light mud, these have never given me any issues. No leaks, no signs of the glue coming apart. I would purchase these tires but the upgraded ones with the diamond cut in them in a heart beat. If I ever get another truck and need tires treadwright will be at the top of my list.