Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transfer case / transmission

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case / transmission

Hey everyone,

I've swapped a different 22R into my 1987 pickup. This new to me 22R came with a tranny already on it and not knowing exactly what was wrong with my last motor (could have been the tranny) I just swapped it directly in transmission and all. So I've got the engine/tranny lined up and bolted in / hooked up and it runs. Not bad for my first engine swap I suppose.

Now here's the issue I'm having. I can't get the transfer case to pull itself into the transmission. There's 6 bolts on the flanges and only the lower are long enough to start threading together. The middle two come very close but won't quite grab. I've tried using a jack to jack up the back of the transfer case to push the top holes closer together but no luck. I've already sheared off the edge of the transfer case by one of the bolts. Turns out there was a heli-coil in there as well. I'll post some pictures up as they may help.

Am I missing something? or is it just putting up a good fight. As I said, this is my first time, any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

I don't KNOW, but I'd assume w/ so much angle on the shafts things won't mesh well?
Seems like it need to be straight on w/ equal force applied, like tightening a rim, star pattern, 1/2 to 1 turn per round??

Have you tried turning the frnt drive line to help w/ the mating?

Good luck, I'll be watching for some better answers.

Repo
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
make sure the spline count is the same on both your transmission and T/C...more than likely it will be the standard 21 spline, but if it is 23 it is a turbo transmission,

you can ID transmission and T/C using this link:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
consider renting or buying a transmission jack...it makes life much easier
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Is your transmission a top shift? I remember reading about different t cases having different length shift rails which may be why they wont mate fully together. The sift rails on the t case may be too long
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your setup is a little different than mine, but on mine I need to take the transfer shifter out of the extension housing to get the transfer to go in.

There is a notch between the shift forks that the shifter rests in. If you don't remove the shifter there is no way to line up the shifter in the notch.

Like I said my setup is a bit different. My shifter rests in the extension housing, which then bolts to the transmission. (Mine is a '94 22re and A340F transmission)

My recommendation is to remove the top rectangular plates and see how your shift rails line up with the shifter. You may just need to remove your shifter until the two are mated together.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How bout getting the trans code you got the trans out of, and comparing that to the trans code of the truck you got now?

Does that seem like a logical place to start?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
NEVER EVER use the bolts to draw a transmission/tranfercase/engine together.....if it dont slip on and flush before you put bolts in....somethings wrong.

Drawing them together with the bolts is a recipe for disaster.

Some friends were finishing a motor swap in my garage...I was sitting in a lawn chair sippin a beer and I heard a cast iron TWANG.....then followed by another TWANG a second later....they tried to draw the transmission to the engine with the bolts.....of course the car was an auto and the motor was from a stick...they forgot the pilot bearing!!

Well the twang on the left was the block cracking on the driver side....got lucky there...just ran out to the edge.....well the passenger side twang was a nice crack that ran straight to the oilpan rail.

Goodbye 900 4.6 engine replacement.

NEVER FORCE STUFF!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bet your input shaft is too long, i had an 80 t case i was putting on a 79 and had to swap the imput shafts beacuse the new tcases shaft was a half inch too long
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 AM

Alright, thanks for all the help guys. Here's what I've determined so far.

I know the transmission is a W56, which on the link posted above (thanks ocdropzone) is supposed to have come from a 22RE. I know it's a forward shift so that means its from a 1989-1995 22RE. It came bolted to the 22R which I was told was from an 87'. My transfer case is a forward shift as well and according to that link that means it's an 1980-1995 RF1A T-case. And again, according to that link, that is supposed to work with the W56. Can anyone tell me otherwise?

I'm thinking I may remove the cross-member and T-case altogether and try to bolt the T-case on the tranny first and go from there? That way there's nothing restricting it? I know removing the cross-member can make a mess of broken bolts but I'm running out of options!