Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tps hell

Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TPS is driving me crazy

I'm beating this thing to death, I know. I've read the directions at 4 crawler and the 93 manual at ttora like 4 times.

I've hooked a meter to my TPS while it is attached. Loosened the screws, and attempted to adjust within the tables. I cannot get anywhere close to any readings. The feeler gauge is in position as the table says also.

Now, I've removed the TPS, hooked it to the meter, and worked it through it's range also. I'm not sure exactly what I should read at 20K.

I mean the range on the digital meter. From .01 to ?????? as you move the internal TPS mechanisim when attached at IDL to E2?

It seems to literally go from .01 to 1 almost instantly. A blink of numbers all over the place in between with only like 1mm of movement.

Thanks for any ideas. Here's a pic.

ThePlumber.
Attached Thumbnails Tps hell-toyotatpshell.jpg  

Last edited by ThePlumber; 09-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this a new TPS? Or a used one?

If you cannot get it to adjust to within the ranges for each of the four specs in the FSM, then most likely it is bad.

When I first got my rig I had a TPS that would not adjust in for all four of the specified ranges, so, bought a new one, no problems.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks Mike. It is the original one to my knowledge.

How hard is it to dial in the ranges? I mean are you able to slowly bring the number up and down?

When moving this one the numbers jump instantly one way or the other. Just want to make sure that I don't have an adjustment handicap and I get the same behavior with a new one.

ThePlumber.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
It's EASIEST with an analog meter, believe me.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
It's EASIEST with an analog meter, believe me.
Thanks. Got one somewhere. Will it work? Have to see...

ThePlumber.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
On the 20K range, 0.01 reading would likely be 100 ohms and I assume your "1" reading is the meter's reading for infinite (or greater than 20K ohms) resistance. As noted on the web page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#TPSAdjustment

# Test #1 simulates the closed throttle position, with the throttle valve fully closed and the throttle stop lever in contact with the throttle stop screw
# Test #2 and #3 test the transition from idle to normal operation

* Note that the exact feeler gauge values are not terribly important, use the closest gauge you have to the value, or stack two thinner gauges to make one the right thickness. Its unlikely you'll be able to adjust the TPS by hand to 0.001" anyway (in fact if you can get within 0.01" or 0.1mm you are doing pretty good!).
* And note that there are a range of values for these tests on the V6 TPS. One might suspect that the "exact" throttle opening where the IDL-E2 setting changes from below 2300 ohms to infinite makes little difference. Rather it is the fact that it *does* change and does so at a small throttle opening (under 1mm or so). Whether that happens at 0.50mm, 0.70mm, or even 0.90mm probably makes little difference.
o Setting the TPS idle transition too close to 0 opening may result in a rough idling engine if the throttle were to stick open a tiny bit.
o Setting the transition too far out, would result in a sluggish throttle response, since the ECU would see a longer idle section on the TPS.
o Note: 0.80mm is about the thickness of a typical credit card, 0.50mm is about the thickness of a thinner plastic gift card, in case you lack a set of feeler gauges.
* So, if your TPS makes the idle transition (below 2300 to infinite) but you can only get it to do so at say 0.90mm instead of at 0.85mm, for example, does this mean the TPS is bad? Probably not, if everything else checks out, you may just be seeing the effect of the mfg. tolerances of the TPS and the throttle body stacking up and pushing the setting outside the "normal" range. Now, if the TPS never makes the idle transition (i.e. it reads infinite at all throttle openings), then likely it is bad.
So all you are looking to do is get a reading less than 2300 ohms (100 is less than 2300) with the throttle basically closed and something greater than 2300 ohms (infinity is greater than 2300) with the throttle open a "little bit". How much a "little bit" is is really not critical as far as I can tell, something more than 0mm and something less than 1mm is likely fine. Folks get all hung up on getting some exact ohm meter reading at some exact feeler gauge setting, but the FSM gives you a range of acceptable readings and anything within that range is fine. All that IDL-E2 signal does is tell the ECU if the throttle is closed or not. If closed, it does it's idle stuff and if open, it reads the other TPS values to figure out how far open it is.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks, and I almost NEVER say this, but I'm about to give up. At 20k with the test leads connected I get numbers all over the place.

The TPS just sitting still, leads connected and only touching the mentioned terminals (not each other) I get jumping numbers all over. Move it halfway and you can get infinite. Start letting it back around to try and "dial in" anything and I can't. 1.4, .01, 4.5, infinite.

Frustrating as hell. I use the meter almost daily and believe it to be ok.

Thanks.

ThePlumber.