Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

timing issues..

Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing issues..

Hello all. New to site, I need help with my truck. I have a 89 Toyota pickup 3vze. I had the famous head gasket problem so I rebuilt the motor. I got the motor all back together and running smooth, fires right up. However when I go to time it the timing mark on the HB is way off.. How I dont know. But the truck runs and drives ok, has power but doesn't seem like before. Any hints on to what this could be? I went through the FSM multiple times and had someone check my work and everything seems correct. Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Idle timing cannot be set properly if the TPS is out of adjustment.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Two things have to be correct for the FSM timing procedure to work.
- You have to have TE1 shorted to E1 on the diag connector
- The TPS has to be adjusted properly such that the idle switch is actually closed when the engine is idling.

Those two conditions tell the ECU to stop mucking with the timing so you can adjust it without it moving all over the place.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
Two things have to be correct for the FSM timing procedure to work.
- You have to have TE1 shorted to E1 on the diag connector
- The TPS has to be adjusted properly such that the idle switch is actually closed when the engine is idling.

Those two conditions tell the ECU to stop mucking with the timing so you can adjust it without it moving all over the place.

The tps(throttle position sensor?) Was never touched but does it need to be adjusted after a rebuild? And I had those two terminals shorted like you say. The timing mark doesn't move around. Its just way off mark. Also tdc of cyl 1 on compression stroke doesn't make the HB mark line up on the 0
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 PM

For anyone else who may ask this is what has/is done to the truck
-complete motor rebuild kit from LCE
-new piston heads, rings, crank bearings, freeze plugs, oil pump, water pump, ALL gaskets new, timing belt, tensioner..maybe something else
-new fluids
-radiator
-clutch
-Heads shaved to straighten, valve lash checked.
-all new vacuum lines
-upgraded 4 hole injectors
-cold air intake
-EGR delete kit from LCE
-Doug Thorley headers

Timing was done to the book, I have Chiltons book for the truck, also printed Toyota repair procedure. all pulley marks line up and always match up every two revolutions.

The truck starts right up and idles smooth, revs good.. just have no clue where the timing actually is because timing marks on HB dont line up.. is it possible to put HB on wrong, i didnt think so seeing its key'd

Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM
RJR

I believe it is possible for the two parts of the harmonic balancer, which are joined by the damping material, to slip relative to each other, giving you a timing mark that no longer lines up. This issue has been discussed elsewhere on this forum in the past. A search for "harmonic balancer" may turn up more detail.

You may need to visit a salvage yard for a replacement harmonic balancer.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
I believe it is possible for the two parts of the harmonic balancer, which are joined by the damping material, to slip relative to each other, giving you a timing mark that no longer lines up. This issue has been discussed elsewhere on this forum in the past. A search for "harmonic balancer" may turn up more detail.

You may need to visit a salvage yard for a replacement harmonic balancer.
Okay thanks, I will check it out!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:47 AM
RJR

Here is a link to this problem. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...lancer-218559/
Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Before you do that, you might line up #1 on TDC, put a mark on the old Harmonic Balancer where zero SHOULD be, and see if your timing is close. (you can get a "paint pen" at lots of art supply stores, or a "wite-out" pen works too).

Don't be surprised if the mark moves around too much to set the timing correctly; if the outer collar is slipping it's because the damping material is torn (or something), so it might be wiggling all the while it's running.

You'll still need to replace it; you don't want the HB to come completely apart at 5,000rpm.

By the way, how did you remove the crank bolt? I've heard some suggest wrapping a chain wrench (or a piece of fan belt bolted to a 2x4) around the harmonic balancer to resist the torque of undoing the bolt. If someone had done something like that during the life of your engine, maybe that caused the damping material to shear.

Last edited by scope103; 11-26-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks RJR I guess I'll be ordering a new one. And scope I took it off with an impact gun when the motor was out of the truck.. But I don't think that's what caused it, due to the fact it was the same before I touched the motor at all.. I will order a new one and see if that works. Thanks fellas
Old 11-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Truck Issues

Hey all I'm new to the site and not very familiar with Toyota trucks, with that being said i picked up my sister in laws 1993 Toyota pickup v6 3.0 efi with 254,000 miles for free. A buddy and i pulled the heads had them resurfaced and did all the gaskets and seals did an oil flush and coolant flush. While doing all of this i checked over the engine and everything looked in good working order for the mileage. We got it all assembled the other day and now she wont start. I checked air fuel and spark and she has all three but still no luck any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
ignition timing is the easiest place to start. Just because you have spark doesn't mean it's at the right time.