Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

For those who have Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those who have Borla exhaust

On your truck or 4runner.

I just found one on ebay and had it shipped and it arrived today. It's mandrel bent, etc. but it's not 2 1/4" Mandrel bent, it's 2" mandrel bent. Are you sure yours is 2 1/4" ?

What tipped me off to measure was there was a little 2" on the 3 clamps that came with the exhaust.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been happy with mine for 10 years now, dont know the diamater though...Just enjoy the sound
Old 04-05-2007, 04:27 PM

what kind of deal did you get on it? i am in the market but i was looking at the Doug Thorley system...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM

I wouldn't say it was a deal - but I wanted that exhaust. It's been discontinued since 2002. I paid $500 for it, but that's slightly below MSRP if I'm correct. The guy who sold it to me said he was selling a bunch of stuff for a buddy who just bought out an old offroad shop that had a bunch of stock. That was/is the only way I would have found this exhaust system in my eyes since it was discontinued.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 04-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Holy shat. I just installed the exhaust. The fitment was outstanding and all the clearances were as good or better than the stock OEM system I removed, and the tip looks great.

As far as performance goes the powerband between about 1800 RPM's and 3000 RPM's is much smoother and a slightly more prominent. The truck doesn't seem as surgy as it was with the stock exhaust. It's much much smoother. The torque seems to come on a little earlier, and there isn't that "Hump" around 3000 RPM"s that you normally had with the stock system when it would pull a bit more. This indicates to me that the exhaust gave me more torque below 3000 RPM's. And this is with 2" mandrel bent pipe for the exhaust, and I still have the 1 7/8" or 2" pressure bent stock mid pipe between the exhaust manifold and header. I think if I went to my local exhaust shop and had them mandrel bend me a 2" pipe between the exhaust manifold and cat it would probably open it up even more!

As far as sound goes, it sounds awesome. The sound while idling is absolutely awesome - it's not that much louder than stock at all but deeper and more pronounced. There is absolutely no drone, period, while cruising as well as being pretty quiet while cruising, but if you stomp on it it gives you a nice sound. It's a very refined exhaust sound I'd say personally. Compliments the stock stound but just deeper and mellow.

Seeing as how they did this with 2" pipe, that tells me a lot about the importance of a good muffler and mandrel bends.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 04-06-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 AM

I am glad to here you ar happy with it! I am guessing that that is a stainless system?

Kat
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 AM

pics pics pics
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 AM

I will tell you if you buy headers, buy The NWOR ones.( I know they have crappy customer service) My original set I got was from them 10 years ago,( fit better than oem, all oem connections for emissions and EGR, just bolted right up perfectly, crossover pipe up nice and hign above the crossmembers and the headers stayed at least 2.5" from the floor on each side) when they rotted out at the flanges, I went the cheaper route(still kicking mself for that) and bought downey system( thorley) and they fit like crap, vibrate against the floor, Had to cut oem EGR stuff to mat up to the mismatched fittings, and the crossover pipe sits well below(3") the frame crossmembers, right where it will get smashed on rocks...Just an FYI if you were thinking about headers to complete the sound....
Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
I am glad to here you ar happy with it! I am guessing that that is a stainless system?

Kat

Yup, full 304 stainless steel system.

I WOULD have taken some pics but my digital camera took a crap on me a few monthes ago and I"ve been going back and forth about what model to get, as well as it doesn't help the cash flow when you buy a Borla exhaust - the camera kinda takes a back seat! LOL.

But if you take a look at UK Meyers write up in the performance articles section, it's sorta similar to that one although the bends are different.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSR5
I will tell you if you buy headers, buy The NWOR ones.( I know they have crappy customer service) My original set I got was from them 10 years ago,( fit better than oem, all oem connections for emissions and EGR, just bolted right up perfectly, crossover pipe up nice and hign above the crossmembers and the headers stayed at least 2.5" from the floor on each side) when they rotted out at the flanges, I went the cheaper route(still kicking mself for that) and bought downey system( thorley) and they fit like crap, vibrate against the floor, Had to cut oem EGR stuff to mat up to the mismatched fittings, and the crossover pipe sits well below(3") the frame crossmembers, right where it will get smashed on rocks...Just an FYI if you were thinking about headers to complete the sound....
I doubt I'd go the headers route just b/c of the PITA install it is, but if I EVER did consider NWOR, I would phone them and tell them I'm coming to pick them up,I don't want them shipped. And if they gave me any BS, I'd say I'll be waiting in the parking lot of your warehouse with cash in hand.