86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thanks!! Yotatech rocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!! Yotatech rocks

So 9 days ago I had a bone stock 88 reg cab truck.. Today she sits on a 4"lift 35 km2..4:56 gears from a 91 four runner homemade winch bumper with a 8500 lb winch.. The articles and write ups on this website have been so helpful!! Does anyone have a good idea for a limited slip carrier for this v6 carrier? I've been looking at all kinds of lockers but think the way to go is the Detroit so I don't kill my tires.. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you went with 35s, my first suggestion is to ditch the 4.56s and go up to 4.88s. You can still find cheap used OE gears if you track down the right axle code.

Then, if you're going with LSD, i recommend the True-Trac in the rear which is clutchless. But i don't recommend it in the front ONLY IF you plan to do significant rock crawling as it's tricky to manipulate the LSD with the brake pedal. (Tapping the brake helps transfer torque to the non slipping wheel) but for soft terrain it's excellent.

If you had stayed with 31s the 4.56 would be excellent. But 33 or 35 you'll have a very slow truck and the power band will be mismatched to the trans, making you down shift a lot more to get power, then running too high rpm on the hwy, risking a 3rd gear bearing failure in time.

Just consider how you plan to run the truck, and if the gears will work for you, no problem. But don't build something now you'll regret and have to undo later.

Keep up the good work! Post pics when you can!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very happy with the 4:56 it's a not radical truck that gets freeway time often.. I think it drives nice 22re is very healthy no more slipping the clutch to get it moving.. Had her first off-road day yesterday and she performed amazing never aired down once and she took every obstacle I put in front of her.. The pro comps in the rear make ya feel like ya have been kidney punched all day.. Starting to consider something different.. It's getting painful.. Gonna try a couple hundred lbs of sand bags.. See if that helps.. They are just stiff as hell...
Old 04-03-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Rupemaster
I'm very happy with the 4:56 it's a not radical truck that gets freeway time often.. I think it drives nice 22re is very healthy no more slipping the clutch to get it moving.. Had her first off-road day yesterday and she performed amazing never aired down once and she took every obstacle I put in front of her.. The pro comps in the rear make ya feel like ya have been kidney punched all day.. Starting to consider something different.. It's getting painful.. Gonna try a couple hundred lbs of sand bags.. See if that helps.. They are just stiff as hell...
airing down will help, forget adding weight.