86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tail light lens

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light lens

Is there a way to remove the bucket from the actual lens? I wanna re coat the inside silver so it'll be brighter in the day light. Seems to be sealed but the bucket is PP plastic and the lenses are a PC plastic. I don't know how those would be bonded in a way that doesn't involve a sealer of some sort since these are dissimilar plastics. Anyone ever get these apart? Any tips? Sorry for the nerd out on plastic, I work in the industry so I know that stuff haha.
Thank guys!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM

All mine have pulled right apart....if they didn't how would you replace the bulbs?

I say just be careful with a flat head screwdriver and should pop right out i would think
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by dakotawho
All mine have pulled right apart....if they didn't how would you replace the bulbs?

I say just be careful with a flat head screwdriver and should pop right out i would think
Bulbs come out the back. I'm talking about removing the clear lens from the black bucket. Like te lens pulled apart from the black back part.

Truck is a 90 t4r w/22re
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Well if you're in the industry you should know better than to use abreviations with laymen

they're either cliped glued or screwed and just wedged, I don't recall off hand. pretty sure mine fall apart all by themselves, worst case you take a hot knife to the rear section and cut glue them back.

Polypropylene and Polycarbonate? yeah it just dawned on me out of no where.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM

P.S. post pictures we LUV pictures!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Well if you're in the industry you should know better than to use abreviations with laymen

they're either cliped glued or screwed and just wedged, I don't recall off hand. pretty sure mine fall apart all by themselves, worst case you take a hot knife to the rear section and cut glue them back.

Polypropylene and Polycarbonate? yeah it just dawned on me out of no where.
Bingo! Polycarbonate and polypropylene. I see no screws or glue or clips or anything. Was thinking about doing the old school trick and setting them in the oven for a few mins but if its not glued it'd be pointless. Can't find anything on the net. I just noticed that in direct sunlight they're not that bright and I am a stickler for safety, most of the time, hahahaha, and I don't want my tail lights not to be present. So I wanted to re do the 'chrome' finish on the inside. I'm at a loss. Fronts just fall apart. Rears appear to be completely sealed.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 AM

My fault.......im always messing with the pickups....forgot the runners were different.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
How do you recoat the "silver" part of the reflector? I thought that was by vapor deposition (or sputtering). I understand that's not the sort of device most of us have in the basement, but perhaps that's part of the business you're in?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
How do you recoat the "silver" part of the reflector? I thought that was by vapor deposition (or sputtering). I understand that's not the sort of device most of us have in the basement, but perhaps that's part of the business you're in?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Just reflective silver paint. Remember it's a 1990 so it's not too fancy. I just can't pull the lens from the case.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... not sure what to say on this one. When I did mine a few months ago (I have a Pickup though) they had screws holding the lens and the bucket to the frame. There is a rubber gasket in between but didn't have any sealant. Honestly, I'd just try and pry them open after heating them up. One of mine was broken but glued together just fine and you can't even tell.

For those who are wondering how it's done. Step 1, buy some chrome spray paint. Step 2 paint the inside of the bucket. Done. This can also be done with the dome light in the cabin if it's really dim (after replacing the bulb).
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Hmm... not sure what to say on this one. When I did mine a few months ago (I have a Pickup though) they had screws holding the lens and the bucket to the frame. There is a rubber gasket in between but didn't have any sealant. Honestly, I'd just try and pry them open after heating them up. One of mine was broken but glued together just fine and you can't even tell.

For those who are wondering how it's done. Step 1, buy some chrome spray paint. Step 2 paint the inside of the bucket. Done. This can also be done with the dome light in the cabin if it's really dim (after replacing the bulb).
Yea my brother has an 85 SA pick up an the lenses just come off. These aren't the same. I don't really wanna just pry em open cause I don't know the availability of new ones for a 1990 t4r haha
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM

I have a set i'd get rid of....juss sayin
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM

Sorry didn't get around to pulling mine, it was snowing when I woke up and that wasn't happening even if I do need to replace a couple of the body mounts.

I was thing of putting a sheet of foil on mine, paints obviously easier of course. But they atleast need the lenses cleaned up.

what is a "t4r" btw, I thought they didn't make turbos that late some I'm confused by that abbreviation too.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM

Sorry didn't get around to pulling mine, it was snowing when I woke up and that wasn't happening even if I do need to replace a couple of the body mounts.

I was thing of putting a sheet of foil on mine, paints obviously easier of course. But they atleast need the lenses cleaned up.

what is a "t4r" btw, I thought they didn't make turbos that late some I'm confused by that abbreviation too.
T4r-toyota 4runner. Sorry haha I'm lazy with text sometimes. I Tried the foil before and it was okay. I offroad a lot so the foil like comes apart
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM

Pulled the real lamp assemblies off my truck today.

The one on the left is OEM manufacture date 1997, right is 1993 original o my 94 truck. They're friction fit with the rubber gasket and attachment screws. These come apart by prying the forward/outter part first, just started at a corner.

The fronts were held with some crazy bubblegum like adhesive and two clips one in the middle of top and bottom, I got them open with lots of hot hot water to soften the gum.

The 4runner ones should be similar, but depending on the year they might be using the bubble gum adhesive.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Pulled the real lamp assemblies off my truck today.

The one on the left is OEM manufacture date 1997, right is 1993 original o my 94 truck. They're friction fit with the rubber gasket and attachment screws. These come apart by prying the forward/outter part first, just started at a corner.

The fronts were held with some crazy bubblegum like adhesive and two clips one in the middle of top and bottom, I got them open with lots of hot hot water to soften the gum.

The 4runner ones should be similar, but depending on the year they might be using the bubble gum adhesive.
Thanks man! I'll take another look at it to see. I believe mine is all around adhesive cause I saw no screws. Was thinking heat gun but didnt wanna mess up the lens haha
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Throw them in the oven, then gently pry apart, I can't recall the temperature, and I've never done it on Toyota lenses, but i've done heads/tails off other cars this way to make LED lights.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 AM

I painted the headlight housing on my 05 chevy cobalt and i put them in the oven for 10-15 min at 200*F, then took a flathead screw driver and gentley pried it apart then after i painted them i put them back in the oven for the same time and same temp. when i got them out i just pressed them back together and then used Lexel around the edge make sure they sealed

Cation they will be HOT lol just had to put that in there so no one gets burnt haha
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by RylerTust
Thanks man! I'll take another look at it to see. I believe mine is all around adhesive cause I saw no screws. Was thinking heat gun but didnt wanna mess up the lens haha
Sorry wasn't clear enough, the screws are just the mounting screws. Hence why mine were all craped out inside they were leaking because I was missing two of the retaining clips they screw into so the lenses weren't tight. You can tell if the screws are part of the lense fastening system by the holes thru the lenses. If the lenses never contact the screws, holes enlarged like my fronts, they're not holding the lenses.