Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

strange groaning and such..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange groaning and such..

Okay, first the problem that REALLY worries me about my 4Runner (1991 V6 4WD):

When the weather up in Montana gets really cold, my driveline starts to make a very loud groaning sound akin to a spaceship taking off when in 2-HI, and only when driving over rougher ice and snow. I can make it go away when in 4-HI or LO, or when driving on smooth roads (when shifting back from 4-HI to correct) At first I thought that it might be my transfer case, but 2-HI is fine on smooth roads, it only groans when on rough roads.. I think that it may be my birfields.. And this problem doesn't exist when it is above 40 degrees.

Basically it is like this: you start driving in 2-HI, and no noise until the rough ice moves the suspension around. Then it will start groaning until you shift into 4-HI, and it goes away. You can shift back into 2-HI when on smooth roads, and there will be no noise unless the road gets rough again. Any ideas? I am thiunking of getting some Profields, as I am cash-strapped, I don't rock-crawl, and the worst trail I've been on was the John Bull trail in Big Bear. Plus, I'd like to do a SAS in the future, so 300+ Longfields are out of the question, sorry.

My next issue is with winterizing my truck. So far I've got:
-more powerful starter for those sub-freezing mornings
-perhaps new cold-start injectors?
-engine block blanket (I have no access to an outlet for a block heater)
-new and more winter resistant power steering (my NEW one crapped out..)
-Optima battery (or two, I like my stereo)

Any other ideas/ techniques?

Any ideas as to where I can get a good starter and power steering? I'd like to "Rock-Ram" the steering, but that might be overkill for now.

I might prefer Profields, as the biggest tire I am willing to go is 33", and I am already at 32" on my semi-stock 4Runner, and if not the SAS, then likely the Total Chaos in the front and 4-5" All-Pro coils in the rear.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnhog
a very loud groaning sound akin to a spaceship taking off
Which kind of spaceship would that be?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:28 PM

lol, perhaps something like a medium-sized craft with sub-intergalactic engines (i.e. "short distance" travel only, withing a galaxy only).
Old 12-10-2005, 05:42 PM

If you have ifs, you don't have birfs.
How's the snow in Montana right now?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When was the last time you changed out all your gear oils (diffs, transfer case, man trans)? I would recommend changing them all to synthetic - will flow and lubricate much better in colder temps.

Also, for help in the winter, I would check out and upgrade your engine grounds. The battery is going to have a hard enough time with being cold - no reason to ad strain by trying to pull electrons through a bad ground. (I'm working on this tomorrow after sluggish starting last week)
Old 12-11-2005, 03:01 PM

Thanks for correcting my mistake, lol! I changed all my oils over the summer down in Cali, so the fluids may be designed to withstand desert heat, not montana snow (about 1.5 feet so far..). Most gear oil seems to be a "one-size-fits-all" when it comes to their application.. Anyhoo, I still think that my front driveshafts may be the culprit. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

I live in Missoula Montana and I had this exact same problem in my 94 4runner. It was my cv driveaxle on the driver's side. Below 40 degrees it would howl and make a whirring sound until the axles warmed up. The sound changed with the speed of the tires rotating. really wierd...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
itis your spindle bushings. there was a toyota service bulletin. they have since upgraded the brass bushings to needle bearings to eliminate the problem.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by celica
itis your spindle bushings. there was a toyota service bulletin. they have since upgraded the brass bushings to needle bearings to eliminate the problem.
Celica, good job on diagnosing that quickly and efficiently! Do you have any idea what would be causing a horrible intermittent chuk chuk chuk chuk noise coming from my xfer case tranny area? It's not my cardigan joint or my ujoints. The noise happens during accelleration and during decelleration mostly but sometimes constantly when driving 50 or so mph. Any ideas? Possibly a bad rear output shaft bearing?
sorry to hijack.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any sort of a lift? I have heard of this happening due to lifts and the driveshaft being pulled out slightly. If you have no lift then not too sure. Does it happen in 2wd or 4wd or both?