86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticky Emergency Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sticky Emergency Brake

I have an 89 2x4 pu. Sometimes when I leave my truck parked for a little while, the emergency brake "sticks" when I release it. I can sit there on a slight incline with the brake still engaged and have to put it in reverse and give it a little gas. I feel a little "pop" as it disengages. Anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I can do to fix it? Its not that big of a deal but don't want to do any damage to the e brake. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 things to do.
1) Inspect the ebrake cable assembly where it runs under the truck, make sure all of the boots are intact and the metal operating links/springs are cleaned up and lubricated.
2) Pull off the rear drums and clean all of the rust out and lube up (make sure you don't get any lube on the pads or drum itself).

Here is a quick check to see if it is the cable or not. When the ebrake seems to be stuck. (safely by putting in gear/P, chock wheels) Get under the truck and see if the cable has any slack in it, follow from the front to the back. If you come to a point that is not slack, then the cable is sticking. If the cable is slack all the way to the drums, then the mechanism outside/inside of the drum is sticking.

I had the same problem and it was the mechanism inside the drum had alot of rust build up and did not move freely. Had to take EVERYThing apart and clean with a wire brush.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by PirateFins; 07-26-2005 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
All the e-brake is is a cable that pulls the rear shoes out against teh drum. If it sticks, you may need to either lube the cable it's self, or pull the drums and lube the mechanism that permits the shoes to release. I've found that whole e-brake system is pretty relaible, so you may need to pull the drums...
Old 07-26-2005, 08:19 AM

a common problem here in the rustbelt is the bellcranks getting stuck (due to rust).

the bellcrank is the mechanism the guys above are talking about that is attached to the backing plate (behind the drum on the rear wheels). that transmits tension from the e-brake cable to the shoes.

it is held on to the backing plate by two bolts. it's really easy to take it off, take it completely apart, clean it, paint it, lube it, and re-install it. then it will work like new again for a long time.

(then repeat for the other side...just do one side at a time so that, if you forget how it goes back together, you can look at the other wheel as a guide).

of course, a "frozen" bellcrank might not be your problem, but it might be.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:04 AM

Glad I found this as I am experiencing the same issue. I just changed out the parking brake parts too. I feel I did not lube them well enough. Glad to have found this thread.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:05 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jetfoi
Glad I found this as I am experiencing the same issue. I just changed out the parking brake parts too. I feel I did not lube them well enough. Glad to have found this thread.
I ran across this exact same issue when I was working at a stealership in the 1990s.
It very well could be what others have mentioned and you need to lube up the cables and brake hardware.
But it also could be just plain frost/ice from hot brakes melting ice or cold air on warm parts causing condensation and re-freezing.
I have seen this on a truck that was only a couple of years old and the rear brakes froze so hard that the owner rocked the truck back and forth to free up the brakes and ended up ripping the brake backing plate loose from the axle on one side. I still can't understand the mentality required to apply that much force "rocking" the vehicle.
I'm pretty sure that they were driving in wet slushy conditions and when they parked there was a lot of water/slush around the entire rear brake/wheel/backing plate area that froze up solid that night.
Ever since then I have never used a parking brake in the winter and I don't recommend that you do either.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
i use my parking brake every time i park my vehicles. year round. it keeps everything functional.

i have had issues with the bellcrank being rusted/stuck. but i've also run into sticking caused by the inner lever that has a short cable attached to the bellcrank being stuck, where the bellcrank is clearly free/loose and not sticking. the part pivots on a stud, and that pivot gets rusted/gummed up, too. a bit of lube, and working it back and forth should loosen it up and help it work correctly again.

Last edited by wallytoo; 03-13-2023 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wallytoo:
Jimkola (11-26-2021), old87yota (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 04:41 PM

Old 11-22-2021, 06:51 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
I use my parking brake every time I park my vehicles. year round. it keeps everything functional.
Same here.

I have never had a problem with my parking brake freezing up or sticking.

Since my truck is 2WD, I don't have the bell crank mechanism, but the rest of the parking brake system is similar to a 4WD truck.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:18 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Same here, on all my trucks. I use the parking brake whenever I park, before I shut the engine off. I don't start the engine unless I double check it's on. AND everyone is wearing seatbelt, but that's no matter here
I have had to adjust the parking brake on my pickup a couple times, and my 87 4Runner once. Neither has NOT worked, ever. Winter, summer, spring, or fall, in Yuma, or here in Oregon.

Have fun all!
Pat☺
Old 11-23-2021, 03:29 PM

mine has not worked a few times. twice when i broke the cable (the front cable from the handle to the middle) when applying the brake. a bit disappointing the second time, as the oem toyota replacement only lasted 3 years.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:10 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
great info in this thread, my 86 4R came with a spare e-brake cable but the bell cranks are definitely sticking so I wonder if they even troubleshot. Like others said I use my PARKING brake daily so I want this one to be functional, will dig into it today
Old 03-13-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hurricanes
great info in this thread, my 86 4R came with a spare e-brake cable but the bell cranks are definitely sticking so I wonder if they even troubleshot. Like others said I use my PARKING brake daily so I want this one to be functional, will dig into it today
I just did a complete brake overhaul/replacement; my bell cranks were rusted solid. If you're diagnosing parking brake issues I would start there.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:47 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
like I said my bell cranks were sticking, got those freed up and now the issue is the seized adjusting rod, I'll just keep soaking it until it comes loose or the rod breaks!