Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issues

My 1989 Toyota pickup has been having a no start issue where it only clicks when I turn the key. Much like in all the other threads I have read with the same problem it got worse and worse and took more and more clicks before it would start and eventually quit. So I decided I would replace my starter contacts. I removed the starter and opened it up. The left hand contact was worn half way through and the right was perfect. I took the starter to AutoZone and it checked out fine on the bench test. So my question is could this have just been a bad ground or something else? Or can a starter perform poorly on the vehicle and meet the specs on the bench test? Another thing I should mention is that the last time I tried to start my truck, all the accessories were getting no power either. So that leans towards ground again right? Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be an ignition problem.. i would first pull the plug on the ignition and continuity test and see if u have continuity threw the switch, if so then look at relays and then grounds, if all test out then i would look at the grounds, also i have been having an issue like this, and i took my starter apart and looked at it, cleaned it up and had the same problem after wards, i have to tap my starter to get it to fire, i noticed that only one side of the contacts looked like it has been making the connection so im thinking that it is that not letting it start, im going to replace my contacts and see what that happens...
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

It's definitely the contacts. Classic case.

However, a good ground between engine, body & frame can cure a lot of gremlins....
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I'm also troubleshooting, and am having withdrawal symptoms becoz I'm sitting in an airport lounge in Asia and could not come near my 4Runner until this weekend -LOL!

First of all, it would help us help you if we knew what truck you have. Manual transmission? 22RE, or V6?

Originally Posted by Tomg303
... it only clicks when I turn the key. ... Or can a starter perform poorly on the vehicle and meet the specs on the bench test? Another thing I should mention is that the last time I tried to start my truck, all the accessories were getting no power either. So that leans towards ground again right? Thanks for your input everyone.
Yep! Clean wiring is definitely a good thing to have, so issues or not, get your wiring clean.

4Crawler link is surely a good reference. There are many things to check.

Where do you hear the click?
(Assuming your 89 has same schematic as an 86-88)

If behind the glove box, it is the circuit-opening relay (barely visible here). It will engergize to power your fuel pump while ign switch is in momentary "Start" position but does not control starting.
If COR clicks but your starter relay does not, your clutch safety switch (behind and above the clutch pedal lever) could be staying open and you might have to step harder on the clutch. Clutch safety switch provides ground to the starter relay. (Edit, 2Jun2012:)To isolate, enable Safety Cancel Switch if provided or simply jump across clutch safety switch.
Starter relay is in(right-hand engine compartment between fusebox and wiper motor)

If your starter relay clicks but not your starter solenoid:
  • Starter relay contacts could be bad. That's what I suspect on mine.
  • OR starter solenoid is stuck, This is when the whacking method helps-, LOL!
Starter solenoid is the one piggybacked on the starter.

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
could be an ignition problem.. ...
Ignition problem will not prevent starter from turning over.

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
It's definitely the contacts. Classic case.
However, a good ground between engine, body & frame can cure a lot of gremlins....
Do not jump into conclusions but since you already have your starter out, it is sound preventive maintenance to replace/repair the contacts.

If starter solenoid clicks, then yes, very likely the contacts.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-02-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check and clean all major gounds.

Check and clean battery terminals.

Fuses?

Cutch Neutral saftey switch? You can take a jumper wire and jump across the terminals and see if it starts... bypassing the switch... if so then you found your problem.

Faulty starter motor?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Cutch Neutral saftey switch? You can take a jumper wire and jump across the terminals and see if it starts... bypassing the switch... if so then you found your problem.
Yeah, or enable Clutch Safety Cancel if it has one. I did on mine for 2 weeks and starting problem went away so I thought that was it. Then one day, it started Ckt Open Relay Clicking only problem again even with clutch safety cancel on.

So I'm back to troubleshooting. Wanna connect V+ supply of starter relay directly to fused line instead of it passing through ignition switch (retarded ckt design). Might also replace starter relay if I can find a new one for god price.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 AM

Its a 22re M/t. I did try to start it with the clutch switch first thing and it did not help. The clicking as best I know came from the solenoid. Everything about this issue tells me it is the starter then it tests out just fine? Thats what confuses me. Due to a lack of time I'm going to have to buy a rebuilt starter because I cannot wait for the contacts to be ordered in. I realize I jumped to conclusions but I am going to replace my starter anyways because I see the wear on the contacts and its worth the $50 to not have to take it off again for a while. Also I'm cleaning crounds as we speak. Thanks for the input. Oh yea here is another big issue. The top starter nut fell somewhere and I cannot find it. It might have fallen in with the flywheel. How bad is this? hah Yea I know its stupid
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull the inspection plate at the bottom of the trans and see if its in there, it could do some damage if it did fall in there, it is probable sitting on the frame or diff area,
Old 06-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tomg303
...The clicking as best I know came from the solenoid...
OK. Probably bad starter or contacts, then. Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up slapping a rebuilt on their and it works great. I kept my core and am rebuilding it just for kicks. I figured it was worth the $15 to get a better understanding of how the work. Until next gremlin!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:43 PM

How do you get the starter out. There's no room pass the a/c
Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Averette
How do you get the starter out. There's no room pass the a/c
A problem well-stated is a problem almost-solved. What truck-year-model-engine?

If first gen MoreFunner with 22R-Eliable, here.