86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speedometer cable replacement tip

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer cable replacement tip

I just replaced the speedometer cable on my 1988 4runner (3.0/auto) and wanted to share a little tip to help others. I did my research here first and found several suggestions for how to remove the cable and separate it from the parking brake cable (which passes through the speedo's mounting plate). One thread suggested cutting a slot in the plate to allow the e-brake cable to pass through while another suggested disconnecting the e-brake cable from under the truck and feeding it back into the cab. It's way easier than that (and forgive me if I missed this suggestion elsewhere).

Disconnecting the emergency brake cable from the brake lever inside the cab is ridiculously easy. I found the answer in my Haynes manual of all places. The lug for the cable simply slides down perpendicular to the lever once the lever is pushed all the way in. A catch, or "pawl," keeps it from pushing in far enough, but this can be released by hand if you can reach up to it. I had removed the lever when I did this, but I imagine it was designed to do with it in place. The catch is just behind the top mounting bracket on the top side of the lever. Also, the pivot pulley at the base of the lever has to be removed, but this is as simple as pulling a cotter pin and removing the dowel. And finally, a spring clip holds the cable to the bracket for the lever and this pops out pretty easily. It's almost like Toyota wanted to make their cars easy to work on or something ;-)

I was surprised at how easy the cable was to replace. I was initially cursing myself for not replacing while the heads were off, but once I saw how it all came apart, I don't think it could have been easier. There is only one set of metal tabs holding the cable off the transmission, and this is easier to reach from the underside of the passenger side of the truck. Could probably done in an hour, but the exploration phase of the repair took a lot longer.

I know there are other threads about speedometer cable replacement, but I wanted to share this in case it isn't mentioned elsewhere. Just trying to give back to the YotaTech community and make someone else's life a little easier.

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Good to know. My speedometer needle has a little bit of bounce to it at slow speeds. I imagine it's getting tired after 318000 miles.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
MF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused with speedo mounting plate

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the informative write-up you so kindly posted.

I'm in the process of "trying" to replace my speedo cable on my 88' 4runner V6 as well. I'm a bit confused as to how the new speedo cabe gets into the mounting plate slot (the one inside the cab under the carpet) without removing one of the ends of the cable.

If you have any information that could help me solve my problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time!

Mike