86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Replacement

My front speakers are blown in my 93 4runner, looking for at least front replacements probably all around replacements.

I can install the speakers myself, i just need recommendations on speakers that will fit with little to no modification and are not afraid to produce some bass.

Thanks all
Old 06-21-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to Car Toys or something they will hook you up
Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by algranger
Go to Car Toys or something they will hook you up
Last time i went there they wanted 300 for a sub install that i later went home and did for free. Also every time ive found speakers in a store, ive found them online off amazon for a considerable amount less.

Just my personal experience
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed some Alpine 4'' (sbc 400 or something like that) in my runner.

They fit well but i did have to take a dremmel to the plastic thing. You will see waht im talkin about when you get in there.

DO NOT GO TO CAR TOYS! They do crap work.

edit for pics.

Last edited by Tubbyfatty; 06-21-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:54 PM

any 4" speakers with an RMS handling of 35 watts or more would be enough, and when mine blew I had to run to wal-mart in the middle of the night to get a $30 pair of whatever speakers, but I plan on replacing them with MB Quart PVI 210 components. It will let me add MB Quart 6.5" 'add-a-woofer' drivers in the doors later to make a 3-way component set. If you want a superb middle-of-the-road speaker set and you have either a stock head unit or power it through an aftermarket head unit, the boston acoustic RX47 is probably the best match in my opinion. Lots of people have those speakers and are happy with them, and I like the boston acoustic speakers a lot myself.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-21-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:36 PM

Go to crutchfield.com, it will tell you exactly what you can put in place of every factory speaker in the rig. i went with some 4" infinity's in the dash of my truck, they fit perfect, put some 6.5" infinity's in my doors, and a 12" sub behind the seat.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with 4" infinity refrence speakers up front, 5.25" JBL in the back seats and two alpine 10's behind the seats
Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM

my truck makes enough noises, i'm pretty sure my entire cab would vibrate apart with any more subs back there... although i built a box to go behind the seats that i can put 2 12's in, with storage between them, but i need to find some carpet to put down inside to deaden the noise first hahaha
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wow, two 12's?! My truck absolutly POUNDs with two 10's, I can't amagin two 12's. The only thing that rattles under hard hits is my rearview mirror, and the rear window buzzes during certain songs
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Im in the same boat. In my 94 runner i have the stock headunit. which i really like. its simple and already there. i want some minimal fab work and it to sound good enough to hear metalica with 5 windows down. Any ideas? brands at least? its been along time since i played with speakers.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
wow, two 12's?! My truck absolutly POUNDs with two 10's, I can't amagin two 12's. The only thing that rattles under hard hits is my rearview mirror, and the rear window buzzes during certain songs
Same here. Everything rattles with the bass.

But...the only difference is the 10 hits faster, the 12 hits harder.

But i can bearly tell unless the bass is on max. I have 2 10"s and that is plenty of bass. I made the rear view fall off my old car when the bass would hit.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JeEVeS
Im in the same boat. In my 94 runner i have the stock headunit. which i really like. its simple and already there. i want some minimal fab work and it to sound good enough to hear metalica with 5 windows down. Any ideas? brands at least? its been along time since i played with speakers.
Good front speakers and rear speakers will sound great.

When i turn off the bass (amp controller below the deck) the output from my speakers is still really good for stock. I just have alpines up front and i think stock in the back but i could be wrong.

Crutch field is a good place to start. Install was really easy by the way.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I have two emtpty boxes up there I snagged the boxes from a junk yard a while ago, and have yet to fill the holes, lol

I've just got the 2 door speakers, and a 10" Xplode hooked to a 1000watt amp and a 2 farad cap, and it's PLENTY for me
Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JeEVeS
First, I'd advise you order yourself a bulk pack of dynamat xtreme, and line every bit of metal like your doors, floor, roof, trunk bedsides, and anything else you can peel back the upholstery far enough to get at. This will help you get the most out of any bits of stereo upgrades you do.

Hard rock means you want midbass. Basically everything between the 4" speakers and a set of subs. Many people put 6.5" speakers in their lower doors, and some just buy the kickpanel enclosures up front. The short answer is that there isnt really a great way of adding mid-bass without doing a little fab work, but adding a few speakers isnt all that hard. Kicker makes a pure midbass driver called the RMB 6, which could fill in and boost your 4" speakers, or you could go for a 3-piece component set that will give you a 1-inch tweeter, a 4-inch driver, and a 6.5-inch driver like the MB Quart PVI 210 and their matching 6.5" add-a-woofer. If you want to do it on the cheap, I would just get a somewhat decent set of 4" speakers up front and put a pair of inline 400 or 600hz high pass filters (a.k.a. bass blockers) on those 4" speakers in the front and adjust the balance towards the 6.5" speakers in the trunk that have their own stock amplifier hidden behind some part of trim somewhere. Anything past that and you're adding outboard amplifiers and things get a lot more complicated. Not to say that I wouldn't recommend it, but the 4" speakers are a good place to start. Boston Acoustic makes a good simple coaxial 4" speaker, so do Alpine, Pioneer and Infinity. It makes a difference, but not all that much. Adjust to taste.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 06-21-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Or you get one of these:
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Damn, NYChopshop, that was pretty much the best answer anyone could have given. the name drops in the right place. Explanation of the amount of fab and overall look. perfect.

I have made custom boxes back in the day and now i am just into simple. clean stock simple. From your words i am leaning towards something like some line of Boston Acoustics up front stock location with possibility of the "bass blocker", then maybe finding someplace to hide 6.5 in the rear. Thanks man.

How about the best place online to buy stereo stuff these days, cruth is $$$ last time i did this stuff.

On a side note i have been fading my stereo forward lately cause my lab rides in the back seat, i don't want to wreck my dogs ears with the radio.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Or you get one of these:
A can of rear window tint remover?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Your lucky if only your mirror and window hits. Im getting annoyed cuz I cant hear the subs.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Why thank you. I'm glad I could be informative for ya. On a stock head unit, I'd say boston acoustic speakers are the best match. I go ebay for the savings, but that pretty much means no warranty, and if you need bass blockers crutchfield has some as cheap as any. My dog is an SoB, so the less he hears the less he tries to kill... but I love him anyhow. I wouldn't blast his ears out on purpose.

It's tough getting quality upgrades out of the factory head unit. I wasnt a big fan of mine, and it didn't last very long from the time I bought my truck. Look at my thread link in my signature to see the stereo stuff I chose for my 'stage 1' upgrade of fixing a blown front 4" and getting a new head unit. I advise the next thing you do is upgrade to an aftermarket quality simple unit, which will allow you to do further upgrades like adding midbass drivers or more speakers later. Not a highly expensive upgrade if you select carefully. I recommend kenwood excelon for reliability and affordability.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by jackwolf
A can of rear window tint remover?

Yes, that's what that is. Now go back to the "off topic" forum and practice posting there. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Speaker Replacement