86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spare tire removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire removal...

So this is a stupid question...i know it...and at least I'm admitting it in advance...

How do I get the spare tire off/lowered if I don't have any of the stock Toyota bars, etc...? I looked underneath, and it doesn't look like I can use a socket to just drop the tire.

Note I don't have a vehicle w/ any of the bars that Toyota supplies to drop the tire...

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to put the spare back up or delete it completely and not have a spare under there?

If your going to put it back up then go get a new set from the dealer or a used set from a salvage yard cheap, for future use if you need to do it again.

If your going to delete underneath use then take a 12mm ratchet wrench I believe is the size and take off the 4 bolts above the cross member to drop it, there is just enough room to use a wrench, ratchet wrench would be the fastest, If I knew what you have lying around I could suggest something else. It's tight under there try a wrench turned sideways placed in the round hollow cut out round area on the spare tire chain lift assembly and twist a little at a time, And hope the assembly isn't rusted solid and not really tight to the under frame. Good Luck! you'll get it, just set back and think :}

Ps. Get under there and spray the assembly really good and the bolts with some lube/silicon spray and let it sit and soak and spray some more then try lowering it...Again GL!!!!

I removed a cable spare tire hold up assembly with a tire still on from a 2wd lying on the ground on the axle and no tires in a salvage yard on the ground and cold and snowing so it's not that hard to do, just awkward!!!! :}LOL

Last edited by john4wd; 12-11-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added idea
Old 12-11-2011, 06:23 PM

I'll give that a shot in the morning. This is for the truck I'm going to be scrapping - I want to save the spare tire and the whole assembly for the '86 I'm keeping.

Hell...not a stranger to awkward...awkward is trying to pull off the front differential and CVs all in one shot...fun day today...

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking but to get the spare wheel off there is a slot near the rear bumper, stick something with a flat end (like 1-2"x1/4" or so) and get it into the cable actuator and turn? Maybe I am missing something here but there is no bolt on the bottom or anything it is strung up with a cable by that mechanism.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM

binky, sorry dude but I don't know where your getting this bolt under something comment, nothing I wrote mentions a bolt under something, there are 4 bolts above the trucks frame cross memeber that connects it the spare tire assembly if it's a chain spare tire holder on a 4wd and there are 3 bolts that hold up a cable spare tire holder under toys before Taco's. I don't know anything about Taco's, never owned one, YET!!!! :}

There are 2 different kinds of spare tire holder assembly under toys, for the 2wd trucks they have a cable one since there only holding up a small 14 inch rim and 185x75 small tire and it's held on the cross member by 3 bolts.

The other for the 4WD has a chain instead of a cable, because it's holding up a 15 inch rim with a 225x75 tire from the factory back then spare tire and is bolted to the cross member by 4 bolts.

Ps. I used a cable spare tire holder from a 2WD, cause in my area the chain ones they rust up solid, and had it holding up a 30x9.50x15 tire on stock steelie for 4 years and sold it still there and working, and it also only had 3 bolts holding it up there too, I kept it lubed all the time, the cable ones are strong enough for what I had any bigger I doubt it...
The bottom part at the end of the cable that goes under the rim that has the little nub that fits into a lug nut hole for the 2wd cable one is only wide enough for the smaller 14" rims, remove the one bottom part from the chain spare tire holder rim (seat) and use a hack saw and cut a notch into the 4WD (seat) (notch on one side only) and slide the cable into the notch so it sets on top of the smaller 14" rim (seat) and now the spare tire holder is wide enough to use on a 4WD rim center opening... Easy Peasy!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

You might try deflating the spare all the way that should give you enough room and flex to be able to lift the spare wheel off the carrier doohicky and drop the wheel then you can proceed with the carrier removal.
The spinner is a standard hex shape with a grove cut in it to fit the "tool" you can fit a normal socket over it. My tire is missing [I lost it some time ago when it feel off... someplace... on the hwy... ] if I get a chance I'll measure it for you (I used to know but I forgot)... it will be a large one most likely not in you set but they are easy to get...

john toyota went to a cable style carrier on all trucks except the land cruiser in 89/90.

Last edited by aviator; 12-12-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Being your in California you might be able to get it off.

In the rust belt here I have never been able to get one off with out using a zip disc on a grinder.

It only takes one flat and not being able to get it off. The 4Runner spare goes inside ratchet strapped to the roll bar. The trucks for now lay in the bed because I have not got around to building a mount for them
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM

My 1993 4WD has a chain one, all the 2WD's 84-94 I've seen have the cable one's, the what I call rim seat on the cable ones are for the smaller 14" 5 lug steelie rims and the chain one has the wide seat for the 15" 6 lug steelie rims.

I put a cable one from a 2WD in 1996 on my 1987 4WD and it was off of an 84-88 body style 2WD. And I had to rig the wide rim seat with a notch cut off from the rusted up chain one to use on the 2wd cable one. The chain one was rusted solid, I had to drill a new hole, 2 of the bolts used the holes from the chain one I removed and the outside single bolt didn't use any of the remaining bolts holes. I also had a rusted solid chain one on my 1984 4WD, but I bought some evapo-rust from Rual king and soaked it till it worked like new, ate all the rust away, Chain one has 4 bolts holding it on cross memeber while the cable one only had 3 bolts holding it to the cross member...
Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Being your in California you might be able to get it off.

In the rust belt here I have never been able to get one off with out using a zip disc on a grinder.

It only takes one flat and not being able to get it off. The 4Runner spare goes inside ratchet strapped to the roll bar. The trucks for now lay in the bed because I have not got around to building a mount for them
yah , I live in rusty Pa. too, I used a floor jack to get enough tension off the cable then I cut the damn thing.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

John I was talking to the op, I thought he may have been just simply trying to get the tire off of the truck and nothing more. Maybe I am wrong but that's what I thought he was asking.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The tool is a piece of 10mm bar stock bent into a 40mm hook (the hook is for the jack, and I'm going to assume you don't have that either). The nose of the hook fits into a slot, and away you go (counter-clockwise lowers it, sensibly enough). So to drop it, you need a "blunt chisel" about 10x25mm. (bar stock will be awkward, as you have to turn it and the hole in the rear sheet metal expects nothing bigger than a 10mm square.)

But if you're going to put it on another truck, you're going to need the tool (and the jack). So think ahead, pick one up in a junkyard, and make your life easier.

For what it's worth, my '94 4wd, with 15" 6-bolt alloy wheels, has the cable-type (not chain) system. (The spare is steel.)