Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The sound of relays clicking behind dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The sound of relays clicking behind dash?

90 T4r auto 4x4:

When I initially turn the ignition key to the on position, or start the engine there's a surge of what sounds like relays clicking behind the dash. It eventually settles down, now curious if I should have it looked at?

Appreciate comments and or suggestions!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
You mean relays turning ON and then OFF and then ON?
There are relays behind the dash that are meant to turn on in order for fuel pump to come on, AC to come on, etc.
Are there things that your truck and systems are supposed to be doing that they are not doing? If not you're fine.

And even better that having it looked at, look at them your self; You'll learn, you save money, and you prevent yourself from getting ripped off.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 AM

The relays 'clicking' appears to be excessive for approx. 2-3 min's and eventually stops. I purchased new and not an issue until fairly recently. The relays do not appear to effect the operation of the vehicle so at this stage appears best to leave well enough alone..

I thank you for the input, greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
If you can, post a video of the relays clicking. That way we can see and hear what you are experiencing.

Are you able to hear which relays are continuously clicking?

This problem might manifest itself into something larger in the future.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:36 AM

Glad to know truck's working fine, Dave.

However... This:
Originally Posted by old87yota
That way we can see and hear what you are experiencing.
Are you able to hear which relays are continuously clicking?
This problem might manifest itself into something larger in the future.
Find out exactly which relays are clicking and let us know so we can identify. There may be A/C blower relay, Circuit Opening Relay, etc behind dash.
Or could it really be your power antenna drive gears clicking?

Also:
"90 T4r auto 4x4" is good, but I suggest you pur that and "ENGINE" on your signature.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM

I will attempt to post audio of the 'relay clicking' when I can. For info purposes, few months back took vehicle to shop and had them remove engine, rebuild, then install, not sure if the work they performed would have any influenced on the dueling relays.

I thank you for the input!!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by lastcall
... so at this stage appears best to leave well enough alone.. ...
Relays clicking on and off is NOT normal. If nothing else, they will eventually (soon?) beat themselves to death. More likely, you have a bad switch contact someplace, which will only get worse. (funny; things like that never seem to get better.) And strand you.

Get the tube from an empty roll of paper towels, and use that as a stethoscope to localize which relay is doing the clicking. Then, someone here can tell you WHERE to start looking for the cause.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Relays clicking on and off is NOT normal. If nothing else, they will eventually (soon?) beat themselves to death. More likely, you have a bad switch contact someplace, which will only get worse. (funny; things like that never seem to get better.) And strand you.

Get the tube from an empty roll of paper towels, and use that as a stethoscope to localize which relay is doing the clicking. Then, someone here can tell you WHERE to start looking for the cause.
I do have a HF stethoscope and will attempt to isolate, curious if a faulty ground of a main component or relay would cause the clicking coming from behind the dash? Perhaps a bit clear once post audio??

Last edited by lastcall; 02-26-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:15 PM

Dave, audio is fine but best if you stick ur hand in there and feel exactly which relay is pulsing. If you need to replace any, might as well know exactly where they are and what they look like.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
.... If you need to replace any, ....
At the risk of jumping the gun, I doubt the problem is in the clicking relay itself (for that to happen, you'd need an intermittent coil). I would be looking for a contact in a switch (or an upstream relay) that is "boucing." But we don't know where to look yet.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
[QUOTE=RAD4Runner;52391911]

Or could it really be your power antenna drive gears clicking?

QUOTE]
^^ RAD4Runner for the win, If you have a power antenna.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 AM

If the radio remains off thus the antennae remains down would the drive gear be clicking. As I mentioned, the clicking does not sound like it is coming from an isolated/single source. Incline to agree with Scope103,

Intend taking the vehicle in for a tune-up in next couple weeks, perhaps shop mechanic can investigate, meantime I will see about posting an audio.

I do appreciate U all's comments and suggestions! Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
shop mechanic for a tune up on an EFI

Save your 120$ labor charge, go buy a timing light, 10mm socket, flat and philips screwdrivers. You'll have plenty money left to buy sparkplug sockets and a decent automotive multimeter too!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

Save your $120 labor charge, go buy a timing light, 10mm socket, flat and Philips screwdrivers. You'll have plenty money left to buy spark plug sockets and a decent automotive multimeter too!

Edit: Dollar sign goes BEFORE the number.
^^ This all depends on how comfortable Dave is with doing the maintenance he wants to have done or how much time he has to do it.

If the power source of the relay (coil side) was constantly turning on and off, then the relay could be clicking as described, although that would be weird, but not impossible.

Last edited by old87yota; 02-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

Save your 120$ labor charge, go buy a timing light, 10mm socket, flat and philips screwdrivers. You'll have plenty money left to buy sparkplug sockets and a decent automotive multimeter too!
Ordinarily I would perform the tune-up myself, except on 2-3 occasions I have done majority of the maintenance since I purchased the T4r in 1990. Having said that, had the engine rebuilt 1 year ago with another year remaining on the warranty and thought it best to have a reputable and reliable shop inspect, to include tune-up, and document results before the warranty expires? With any luck shop possibly identify the clicking source?

Thank you for the input!!

Last edited by lastcall; 02-27-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:23 AM

for the warranty on your motor it is far more important to document oil changes than tune ups.
You can narrow down the clickety/clackety diagnostics by pulling fuses that are not required for the engine to run, start with the radio fuse that will eliminate the power antenna!!!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
for the warranty on your motor it is far more important to document oil changes than tune ups.
You can narrow down the clickety/clackety diagnostics by pulling fuses that are not required for the engine to run, start with the radio fuse that will eliminate the power antenna!!!
Appreciate the suggestion pulling individual fuses to see if the 'clickety-clickety' goes away.

Having discussion with self as to whether I should have the tune-up done thinkin perhaps their diagnostic equipment better suited than my backyard tune-up equipment in detecting a problem. Have a couple 2-3 months before oil change to make a decision?

Last edited by lastcall; 02-27-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Almost anyone can change sparkplugs/cap/rotor. Save some money, It's not like you'll get free diagnostics with the purchase of a tune up. Shops don't work that way unless you know the owner.
Just make sure your new plugs are gapped properly, put just a little anti-seize on the spark plug threads and torque them properly. Don't mix up your plug wires when changing the cap and rotor, not much can go wrong.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:53 PM

Any luck?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Last 2-3 days been raining; in addition, problems surfaced on another family vehicle.

Started the T4r yesterday and did not hear the clickity-click of the relays, initially had problems getting the starter to engage and found one of the wires connections to the positive side of batt. very loose, can not imagine it has anything to do with the relays but tightened and seems to have solved the starter issue. Broke out the shop manual and charted which fuses to pull if and when the relays start acing up and will provide update.

Thank you for the inquiry!!

Quick Reply: The sound of relays clicking behind dash?